Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2023, 11:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Sure you want to go? Not worried about anything? Our mountains are a mess right now.
In 2 days, Truckee (North Tahoe) got 9 feet of snow!

I'm most concerned about Avalanches either on the road or the trails. That's why I won't go snow shoeing or nordic skiing, rather be on a ski run at a resort.

There was a mandatory evacuation in Olympic Valley (North Lake Tahoe) because of an Avalanche earlier, but I'm going to South Shore still yet this much snow in a short time will require lots of blasting. They are probably blasting right now at Echo Summit on Highway 50 to alleviate a catastrophic Avalanche on the Highway. All the ski resorts are probably blasting right now as well. Last time I was up there I heard the canons going off all night long.

Friday will probably be better than Thursday. I have a Sierra-at-Tahoe spring ski pass but I rather go to Heavenly (very expensive) or Homewood. It's not my week to use the family cabin so I'm looking at a one day trip. Either way, I'm itching to get up there even for just a day....before the weekend.

Yosemite is still Closed as is Highway 120
North Tahoe - I-80 is Open both directions.
South Tahoe - Highway 50 open both directions.

Mammoth got 5 feet in the last several days.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-01-2023 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 10:13 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It's not an issue of climate, this really is incredibly unusual for the whole state. I'm in San diego, we live in Scripps ranch, we didn't get above 48° today, we had a bunch of hail today and several days in a row, and it's insanely cold right now, low 40s at 6:00 p.m. and very cold wind chills in the low 30s. Freeze warnings tonight for all the inland areas. I just saw that snow might actually be headed for the beach, which hasn't happened in 75 years, but we will see.

Correct. I need to get my furnace and ducts inspected and see why upstairs is way warmer than downstairs of my home. Maybe put a new furnace with zone control in the house if the ducts are ok and no leaks? That way I can heat office and not heat upstairs. Yes, a record cold year all over the state for long time. At least the rain should help the drought end hopefully.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:31 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Correct. I need to get my furnace and ducts inspected and see why upstairs is way warmer than downstairs of my home. Maybe put a new furnace with zone control in the house if the ducts are ok and no leaks? That way I can heat office and not heat upstairs. Yes, a record cold year all over the state for long time. At least the rain should help the drought end hopefully.
Heat goes up, it's always like that in a 2 story house, most likely there is nothing wrong with your ducts for furnace, and the heat will always travel up no matter what kind of furnace you have - maybe move your office upstairs if that is where you are spending most of your time?

Old 03-02-2023, 12:03 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times
https://twitter.com/UCB_CSSL/status/..._GOwWcwPQ&s=19
How has the recent #snow and rain helped the drought? Here are maps of #drought conditions the week when the water year started (Oct 4) and this week. Quite an improvement!

According to this morning’s Drought Monitor… “central California’s Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills are now free of drought and abnormal dryness for the first time since January 2020”

Click link, Chim.

Old 03-02-2023, 12:48 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Heat goes up, it's always like that in a 2 story house, most likely there is nothing wrong with your ducts for furnace, and the heat will always travel up no matter what kind of furnace you have - maybe move your office upstairs if that is where you are spending most of your time?
Upstairs is 10 degrees warmer than downstairs so may do that at least for part of day until temps warm up. No biggie more of a pain.

Old 03-02-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
https://twitter.com/UCB_CSSL/status/..._GOwWcwPQ&s=19
How has the recent #snow and rain helped the drought? Here are maps of #drought conditions the week when the water year started (Oct 4) and this week. Quite an improvement!

According to this morning’s Drought Monitor… “central California’s Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills are now free of drought and abnormal dryness for the first time since January 2020”

Click link, Chim.
Cool, all this snow has me inspired to downhill ski again. I gave-up downhill skiing to nordic skiing and snow shoeing, alot cheaper, different more peaceful vibe but...not nearly as thrilling. I just bought a spring downhill skiing ski pass, for Tahoe, let's see how many times I use until the end of the season.

Sierra-at-Tahoe resort is just 34 road miles from far eastern part of Sacramento Metro (Pollock Pines)

Noonish: Mar 2
Sacramento 55F
South Lake Tahoe 36F

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-02-2023 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 02:55 PM

Over 15 inches of rain at fresno state so far. Thats almost as much as south Sacramento.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-02-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 06:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:

Over 15 inches of rain at fresno state so far. Thats almost as much as south Sacramento.
That's a stunning photo!!

Old 03-02-2023, 10:00 PM

Don't,
Excellent shot of "Tunnel View" in Yosemite

thats so amazing because I was there several weeks ago and it didn't look like that, always stunning but not quite like that.

Snow starts up again Sat though Wednesday so it its gonna have to wait for a visit.

Old 03-03-2023, 01:28 PM

Did February feel cold in Sacramento? Yes, it was. The avg. temperature for the month for Sacramento (City) was 48.8 degrees or 4.1 degrees below normal. Downtown Sacramento recorded the coldest February since 1989. The all-time coldest Feb. was 44.8 degree average in 1887. #cawx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento