Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM

87 posts, read 157,912 times

Advertisements

Im considering moving to the sacramento and surrounding area and all I keep reading about Sac makes it out to be a horrible place to live ;( This post is not meant to offend anyone, as Im sure its a great place to live (god knows I might be moving there LOL) but just wondering why the city gets such a bad rap. Thanks for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
I don't know what posts you're reading. I've been following the Sacramento forum for a couple months now. Plenty of people very complimentary on the area. In my experience, the people who don't like Sacramento are ones looking for lots of night life, plenty of singles, and lots for young adults to do. I get the impression the city is more geared to families, but I'm sure many will argue even that.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,638 times
Yeah, I'm also not sure what you're referring to. Most people who live here, especially those who comment here, like the place.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:30 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,303,002 times
People on mostly anonymous discussion boards tend to bad mouth areas. Consider the source.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Not on here..other places. (I guess a have a friend who lives in san Francisco and strongly dislikes sacramento and perhaps I got some skewed web sites from him ;( sorry

Old 11-03-2014, 03:54 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
People love their own city, and think the rest are crap. Plus the always constant people that hate where they live. And the next place they live. And so on.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:55 PM

So..I will say its safe to say..there are a lot of safe areas in sacramento?? Is there ANY nightlife? I am 42f divorced and no kids. I don't need "clubs" per se..but some good live music is great thanks

Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 PM

LOTS of people here in the North Bay hate Sacramento. They think it's vanilla and bland and big box and hot. Most of them are "quaint town" kinda people who get all squeely-excited over towns with squares that offer lots of pretentious wine tasting shops and farmers markets and cosmopolitan overpriced restaurants with locally made art on the walls and GMO-free food. If you are that person then, yes, you will hate Sacramento.

I am not. I happen to like malls, warm nights, IKEA, affordable homes, a swimming pool I can use more than 3 weeks a year, and being close to I-5.

Whether you like ANY city depends entirely on what kinds of things matter to you. You have to take with a grain of salt the opinions of people who don't live there. It's why they don't live there. It's not for them. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher14 View Post
So..I will say its safe to say..there are a lot of safe areas in sacramento?? Is there ANY nightlife? I am 42f divorced and no kids. I don't need "clubs" per se..but some good live music is great thanks
I have a friend who is 50f divorced and no kids. She lives in The Pocket and LOVES it. She's not one to sit at home and knit, so I would say there is a nightlife and plenty of live music. She wouldn't be there if she wasn't.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 PM

57 posts, read 115,924 times
People in the Bay Area will tend to be comparing their style of living--food, shopping, occupations, housing--with America's few elite metropolitan areas. Since we're generalizing from anecdotal evidence, I will add that I don't think that a lot of these people have spent a good deal of time in Sacramento or given it a fair try. It's a mid-sized city with a good food, beer, and arts scene. Even its more densely packed neighborhoods are more spacious and easy-going than a larger city. It's just a different vibe. The Bay Area itself has its own big box areas--they just put them all in Emeryvillle so people in Berkeley can pretend like their city doesn't use such things.

There's plenty of live music and nightlife in Sacramento (and also, Davis, the nearby college town). I've seen plenty of Bay Area bands make the trip over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento