Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times

Advertisements

In Salt Lake City you really won't find Mormons to be quite as dominant as you would in let's say Centerville or Pleasant Grove, but you may be invited to church once or twice and you are more than welcome to politely decline. (Most) Mormons don't really care what church you do or don't attend, they just want to make you feel welcome should you choose to check out their church.

Consider it a compliment and befriend them anyway. Perhaps invite them to services of your own, should you be religious. We're all just people after the same goals of happiness in life, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSittinginStarbucks View Post
Kind of strange question, but what is the attitude toward professional women in Utah? I ask because I am studying to become a dentist, and Utah has the fewest female dentists of all the united states. I forget the exact number, but it's pretty shocking. I'm wondering if it's because of prevailing attitudes toward women have a more traditional role...or if women moving to or living in Utah just aren't interested in leadership roles in dentistry.
I hadn't thought about that before, but it's an interesting statistic. I work for a national company, so I don't notice a lack of professional women where I work, and my primary care internal medicine doc is a woman, so I don't know. How far off are the numbers relative to the national average?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSittinginStarbucks View Post
Kind of strange question, but what is the attitude toward professional women in Utah? I ask because I am studying to become a dentist, and Utah has the fewest female dentists of all the united states. I forget the exact number, but it's pretty shocking. I'm wondering if it's because of prevailing attitudes toward women have a more traditional role...or if women moving to or living in Utah just aren't interested in leadership roles in dentistry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Women are not well represented at the top of business here in Utah. Nor in government.

Where I work there are no female department heads.

Perhaps the only place I saw women excel was at the U. Still - very lacking in leadership roles.
I believe Utah is the third worst state for pay disparity between men and women. I think there's a prevailing attitude that men, even a young one who's unmarried, will eventually get married and be the breadwinner and need to provide, whereas women (even young and unmarried) will eventually get married, get pregnant, and then be a stay at home mom. So in other words, companies consider a male hire to be more of a long-term investment, and they consider his pay as going towards taking care of his family, whereas women are thought of as short-term employees and their pay is just going towards extra vacation funds, or similar.

I work at a nursing school, and it's often commented on by students and staff that Utah has the worst pay for nurses, which is considered more of a "feminine" occupation (although more and more men are becoming nurses). A lot of nursing students are planning on moving out of state as soon as they graduate.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,887 times
Default Love Utah

First, I'm not Mormon. In fact, I don't practice any religion at all presently. However, having lived in Utah for two plus years, I have only good things to say about the people and area.

I never had an issue with feeling "segregated" as some mention on posts. Nor have I been contacted to join their faith ... not once.

True, at drinking establishments you have to pay a "club" price up front and, as I recall, you can't have more than one drink at the table each.

Now, if you're the outdoors type and love winter/summer sports, well, you my friend will be quite happy.

So yeah, my time there, in the Ogden/Clearfield area, was actually very nice. In fact, I'm thinking about moving back in the near future.

As an aside, I'm originally from the Northeast (Philly). So I'm thinking just about anyone can fit in as long as you're open minded.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterjock View Post

True, at drinking establishments you have to pay a "club" price up front and, as I recall, you can't have more than one drink at the table each.
I've been here just under 3 years and have no idea what you mean by club price so I think that's long gone, haven't tried to have more than one drink at a table so not sure on that one.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 PM

36 posts, read 55,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
I have never had any of the experiences described by the OP. I live in South Jordan and I have been welcomed and respected as a non LDS. I have worked for Mormons in the past and my experience was fantastic! My religious preference was never a topic of conversation. My husband works in an environment with a 90% ratio of Mormons in Utah county and has never had an issue. Perhaps because we don't have any issues??? I love shopping on Sunday!! It's very quiet. The movie theater is great on Sunday as well!! Quite frankly I don't care who is Mormon or not Mormon. I don't think it's a concern for most folks relocating here. The population is a great mix and statistically the Salt Lake area is 50/50. I think the major concern is the inversions.
Same here. When I lived there, it was always in SLC proper. I've lived and worked there as a bagel baker and kitchen staff, later I worked there as a massage therapist, and then finally I worked there as a travel RN. I never felt like I was discriminated against and in general the LDS were pretty friendly. Outside of SLC things get a little weirder if you're not LDS.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,321 times
First time in SLC from NYC. Crossed a street while the light was green without a car insight and was followed by being reprimanded that it is a green light. I replied with "so" and continued walking on. Perplexed by the serious rule abiding nature yet still comical to me, especially when my Uber driver told me to fasten my seat belt for a 5 min car ride. Was cute. Let's take a deep breath in Utah, relax the shoulders a little and chill

Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnk89 View Post
First time in SLC from NYC. Crossed a street while the light was green without a car insight and was followed by being reprimanded that it is a green light. I replied with "so" and continued walking on. Perplexed by the serious rule abiding nature yet still comical to me, especially when my Uber driver told me to fasten my seat belt for a 5 min car ride. Was cute. Let's take a deep breath in Utah, relax the shoulders a little and chill
It has nothing to do with being chill. In Utah, if your passengers are not buckled and you are stopped, you can be issued a citation. I don't know. Maybe it's just me (and I am from back east, not UT) but rules are in place for a reason.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 19,943 times
Default The poster is right about everything

Except the Mormon thing isn't really much of an impediment. It's not the focus of most non-Morm's lives here. They mostly just ignore the Mormon stuff and get on with their lives.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:11 PM

15 posts, read 19,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I believe Utah is the third worst state for pay disparity between men and women. I think there's a prevailing attitude that men, even a young one who's unmarried, will eventually get married and be the breadwinner and need to provide, whereas women (even young and unmarried) will eventually get married, get pregnant, and then be a stay at home mom. So in other words, companies consider a male hire to be more of a long-term investment, and they consider his pay as going towards taking care of his family, whereas women are thought of as short-term employees and their pay is just going towards extra vacation funds, or similar.

I work at a nursing school, and it's often commented on by students and staff that Utah has the worst pay for nurses, which is considered more of a "feminine" occupation (although more and more men are becoming nurses). A lot of nursing students are planning on moving out of state as soon as they graduate.
This is true. I've never even seen a female dentist here. Go somewhere else to practice or get used to ****ty treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area