Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkiss View Post
This is true. I've never even seen a female dentist here. Go somewhere else to practice or get used to ****ty treatment.
Thats not true I have a female dentist and I dont live in SLC proper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkiss View Post
This is true. I've never even seen a female dentist here. Go somewhere else to practice or get used to ****ty treatment.
Really? My dentist is a woman. Damn good dentist, too!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM

447 posts, read 651,903 times
as someone who enjoys a good drink a good beer not near beer this place scares me a bit haha. the crime is so high as well and this business about scanning my id for days in a police record sounds a bit big brother to me... and focused on folks who like to drink...

worried about the discrimination or favoritism from/towards mormons being an issue my wife is lds but i am not...
always found it interesting the elective thing for lds kids next to the high schools growing up in idaho shouldn't there be a catholic or protestant option allowed as well ?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
as someone who enjoys a good drink a good beer not near beer this place scares me a bit haha. the crime is so high as well and this business about scanning my id for days in a police record sounds a bit big brother to me... and focused on folks who like to drink...

worried about the discrimination or favoritism from/towards mormons being an issue my wife is lds but i am not...
always found it interesting the elective thing for lds kids next to the high schools growing up in idaho shouldn't there be a catholic or protestant option allowed as well ?
A Satanic group offers such an option for kids in Taylorsville

Old 10-16-2016, 09:52 PM

28,093 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
Any religion that wants to sponsor elective classes during school hours is allowed to do so.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
No. Not ALL Mormons leave class to attend Seminary. It is an elective..the same as auto shop, photography, horticulture, ect. They are not REQUIRED to attend Seminary. Also, it is only high schools that have it. I don't think I have ever seen a middle/jr high school with a seminary building!
At least in Northern Utah, all junior highs have the Seminary buildings

Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powellpa View Post
Really? Wow. I admit that I am not too familiar with the junior highs around the Salt Lake area, but out in my neck of the woods, they don't.

Huh. Learn something every day.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:07 PM

388 posts, read 549,035 times
I think you will find the seminary buildings are not on school property proper or owned by the schools at all. The newer schools don't even pretend to make them look part of the school.
That they are too proximal to older schools is not questionable (Hillcrest could easily make use of that seminary building and car park if that was school property for example) but the assumption that the seminary buildings are in the schools doesn't seem true for the south end of the valley. Seminary as an elective used in school period time (vs before school at dark o'clock) is great for the rest of the kids because it unloads some kids out of already oversubscribed real electives. Privates in the south valley also have named seminary, I expect there is a seminary nominated for Judge and Juan Diego even.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM

28,093 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powellpa View Post
The reason for this is that Seminary is a four-year program. Some students attend 9th grade in junior high school and others attend 9th grade in high school.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
ALL of the seminary buildings are on private property but close to the schools so the kids don't have far to walk. Any other faith is equally able to purchase or rent a building and hold a seminary type class on the elective period but I don't think any have, to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area