Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM

129 posts, read 323,883 times

Advertisements

I don't know, doesn't it make sense that the numbers of different heritages in each city would make a difference? Say you have a city with only 1% hispanic, you are going to have a lower % pulled over than in a city with 40% hispanic. It's all math. Unfortunately there is always someone who will complain it's because of the color of their skin, that's just a given. BUT, the media are the ones making a big deal out of it, it's a hot subject with the immigration laws. Had that not been going on, chances are even with her complaining, it wouldn't have even made the news. Blame the media.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM

57 posts, read 158,702 times
Why are so many of you talking about race card, profiling, illegal immigrant, etc?
How many of you clicked on the link and watched the video?
All I heard her complain about was about being threatened with deportation.
She could well be a LEGAL immigrant, or a tourist for that matter.
Yes, she is apparently guilty of minor traffic violations.
I consider myself a big supporter of law enforcement, but with the current anti-immigration climate in this great country, I can easily see a police officer getting carried away, talking about deportation, after interacting with a lady with an attitude and a stong accent. As far as I know, minor traffic violations are not grounds for deportation.
As a legal immigrant myself, she gets my sympathy.
The antiimmigrant sentiment is so overwhelming that it threatens legal immigration and makes legal immigrants vulnerable to abuses.

Last edited by torero; 07-12-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,439,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Why are so many of you talking about race card, profiling, illegal immigrant, etc?
How many of you clicked on the link and watched the video?
All I heard her complain about was about being threatened with deportation.
She could well be a LEGAL immigrant, or a tourist for that matter.
Yes, she is apparently guilty of minor traffic violations.
I consider myself a big supporter of law enforcement, but with the current anti-immigration climate in this great country, I can easily see a police officer getting carried away, talking about deportation, after interacting with a lady with an attitude and a stong accent. As far as I know, minor traffic violations are not grounds for deportation.
Nobody said a traffic violation is grounds for deportation. But being here illegally is. If someone is stopped for a violation, and they're found to be here ILLEGALLY (which I'm beginning to thing has lost its meaning to some people), she should get deported.

However, the Shavano PD doesn't deport anyone and this looks to be a case of one woman that's mad because she got a ticket, and is looking to turn it into a race incident, which it's not.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Nobody said a traffic violation is grounds for deportation. But being here illegally is. If someone is stopped for a violation, and they're found to be here ILLEGALLY (which I'm beginning to thing has lost its meaning to some people), she should get deported.

However, the Shavano PD doesn't deport anyone and this looks to be a case of one woman that's mad because she got a ticket, and is looking to turn it into a race incident, which it's not.
Yes, but why are you presuming she is illegal? Because she has an accent?
Yes, if she is here illegally, she should be deported. She should also be deported if she is found to be the Al-Quaeda's #2 after OBL.

She is not turning this into a race incident, but an anti-immigration incident. As I said earlier, the anti-immigrant sentiment is so strong it threatens legal immigration, and makes legal immigrants ripe for abuse.

Last edited by torero; 07-12-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,742,565 times
All she had was an expired Mexico ID. No Texas driver's license, social security card, insurance papers, green card. Native Texan here, but if I were to be stopped by the SAPD with no driver's license or insurance, I think I'd probably have my car impounded and go straight to jail.

Why all the LULAC signs and ani-immigration rhetoric behind her? Wonder why the press conference wasn't held in her home? Wonder if she has a house in Shavano Park? Lots of question that our local media can never seem to "fit" into their stories. And btw, if you break any law and you are found to be here illegally, then the border patrol should be called in and straighten things out.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,439,954 times
Quote:
Yes, but why are you presuming she is illegal? Because she has an accent?
Yes, if she is here illegally, she should be deported. She should also be deported if she is found to be the Al-Quaeda's #2 after OBL.

She is not turning this into a race incident, but an anti-immigration incident. As I said earlier, the anti-immigrant sentiment is so strong it threatens legal immigration, and makes legal immigrants ripe for abuse.
Nobody's presuming she's illegal, but when they pulled her over, she did NOT have a valid US license or anything other than a Mexican ID. She didn't have her papers (which...again...is ILLEGAL)

She's ABSOLUTELY turning it into a race thing. Just like everyone that's against the AZ law. EVERYTHING is turned into a race issue, because then they think folks will just let it go, for fear of being called racist. It's a typical LULAC ploy.

She was released to her husband, who presumably provided them the info they needed, and then decided to make a stink about it. Bottom line is if she didn't disobey the law, and had all her proper ID on her (which we're ALL required to have), this would have never happened.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Nobody's presuming she's illegal, but when they pulled her over, she did NOT have a valid US license or anything other than a Mexican ID. She didn't have her papers (which...again...is ILLEGAL)

She's ABSOLUTELY turning it into a race thing. Just like everyone that's against the AZ law. EVERYTHING is turned into a race issue, because then they think folks will just let it go, for fear of being called racist. It's a typical LULAC ploy.

She was released to her husband, who presumably provided them the info they needed, and then decided to make a stink about it. Bottom line is if she didn't disobey the law, and had all her proper ID on her (which we're ALL required to have), this would have never happened.
If you concede that she may not be an illegal immigrant, then we essentially agree.
In short, my problem with this incident and this thread in general is this:
1. Why did this police officer step beyond the realm of his authority and raise the specter of deportation?
2. Why noone in this thread realizes this is the core issue in this incident!?

I do not think this is a race issue. Otherwise many of the mexican americans in this board would be on her side. Instead, they are proudly saying "I am 4(X) generation mexican american, and this lady is in the wrong..." This is not a race incident but an anti immigration incident. And with the climate so charged due to the Arizona law, people forget that there are also a few legal immigrants out here. The way things are looking, we (legal immigrants) are going to be a casualty, drowning in the sea of voices shouting "they took er jerbs."

Last edited by torero; 07-12-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,861,642 times
Quote:
If you concede that she may not be an illegal immigrant, then we essentially agree.
In short, my problem with this incident and this thread in general is this:
1. Why did this police officer step beyond the realm of his authority and raise the specter of deportation?
2. Why noone in this thread realizes this is the core issue in this incident!?
Perhaps because many (such as myself) are not sure THAT part ever took place - at this point, we have only her say-so on it from what I've seen.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Perhaps because many (such as myself) are not sure THAT part ever took place - at this point, we have only her say-so on it from what I've seen.
That is what I suspected.
But in your heart of hearts, do you think he threatened her with deportation?
I do.
And I also think he thought it would be ok to do so. I even believe most people in this board think it would right for him to do so.

But if you think about it... would it be ok for a traffic officer to stop YOU for an expired inspection, look at you in the eye and say... "This is a nice car... and you do not look like someone who can afford it, so I think you cheat in your taxes." "I am going to report you to the IRS and see that you get audited." Even if you are not a tax cheater, the threat would be disturbing. That is how a legal immigrant would feel. It is abuse of power. Hope people see this side of things as well.

Last edited by torero; 07-12-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,547,069 times
Everyone needs to ask....
If I were driving in Mexico or any other country, without any papers/passport/id/license/registration/expired tags.......WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? (and be truthful) Because fact is your sorry a$$ would be hauled off. And noone would call that country racist or profiling. So why is it when we hold people here to our LAWS, we are the bad guys????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio