Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Finally home. The police blocked several exits at Downtown IH35. Everyone was driving pretty slow to avoid aquaplaning. Smaller streets at Eisenhower were flooded, it was difficult to pass. The dip at New Braunfels/Broadway/Austin Hwy was closed with a barricade. I think tomorrow .. ooooops today will be another rainy day.
Be careful driving...
Finally home? From work? That's crazay. Glad you made it home safely. It's crazy out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I was waiting for the storm to cease, but it was going on and off most of the evening. Finally I gave up and decided to go home...

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 AM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times
Oh ok, for some reason I was thinking you were going home from work.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 AM

129 posts, read 323,153 times
Electric just came back on in the Oakwell Farms area. I'm exhausted, not to mention need a shower after all night long with no AC! LOL

Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 AM

191 posts, read 454,092 times
We had quite a bit of rain, and some wind in Helotes. Bear in mind, that I lived in Montana where 80 mph wind gusts is just a breezy day, I've seen probably 2 dozen tornadoes from my time in MO and IL, and I rode out Isabel and saw the aftermath of 2 hurricanes (I think Charlie and one other one, forgot the name) in FL. So, this was just a rain storm and no big deal. The kids had an absolute blast playing in the rain yesterday afternoon. We had about 2 inches of water on our pool patio, and our pool came really close to over flowing. The overflow pipe couldn't keep up. That was pretty neat. It was running low, too, so we got a good 6 inches of water added to our pool. I told my husband that we needed to add some gutters and a raincollection system to the house, so we can use the collected rain for watering our plants during the dry spells. We live on a hill, so the driveway and the street looked like a river. We didn't lose power, but when the center of the storm went over the house we lost some of our satellite channels. Oh, the horror. We didn't have any damage, either, aside from one small branch that ended up in the yard from our crepe myrtle. Too bad it didn't take out the 3 dozen or so mountain laurels we have on the property. The last thing I need is to have poison berries scattered all over the yard, especially since my boy has autism and eats things he shouldn't eat. Of course I had no idea they were poisonous until after we bought the house; before that I just thought they were ugly. (my neighbors are appalled that I hate them, by the way. I guess it's a Texas thing).

The lightening last night was pretty spectacular. It was like a strobe light in my bedroom. But we only heard one or two booms of thunder. I was looking forward to a good storm, but I think it's streaming north of us. Hopefully we'll get something. I have missed thunderstorms ever since I moved out of the midwest, and was hoping to get some good ones here in Texas.

So, I'm guessing that tropical storms and hurricanes are unusual in this part of Texas?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
trop.storms/hurricanes are not unusual here with how close we are to the coast.

lightning show was amazing last night. Thank you hermine for the sleepless night and no power. no go away.

I've been thru tornados Dallas/Memphis/Ga but still I wouldn't call this one nothing. JMO

Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
I got the impression after watching the weathercasts yesterday afternoon that the worst of it had passed us in San Antonio, but I think last night was worse than yesterday, at least as far as rainfall. Looks like they upped the chance for more rain today on this morning's forecast.

In addition to my landline phone that got knocked out yesterday, as I mentioned in a previous post, I lost power for about 2-1/2 hours early this morning. Heard several explosions during the time the power was out, and also could hear chain saws working nearby most of that time (3:30-5:30 am timeframe). Needless to say, it was a sleepless night. Phone line is still out, though. Estimated resolution on that is five days from now.

This is without question one of the worst storms I've seen hit this area.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Arrrrrggggghhhh due to the lightning my dog kept me up all night panting and digging up the bathroom rugs to try to get to China........ awwwwww back at work neeeeeedddd coffee....

Cooooofffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I got the impression after watching the weathercasts yesterday afternoon that the worst of it had passed us in San Antonio, but I think last night was worse than yesterday, at least as far as rainfall.
I dumped our rain gauge yesterday about 6pm and we had 5 inches in in it. Woke up this morning and had another 4.25" in it!! It rained its butt off last night on the N. Side.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM

713 posts, read 3,437,829 times
Power just came back on, it went out at around 1:40AM and came on at 8:05am, was very hard to sleep without the calming noise of an air conditioner on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio