Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM

713 posts, read 3,439,128 times

Advertisements

This storm is really bad I go to college at SAC and my class was cancelled today when the power went out. As I was running to my car a block away in the rain I heard a fire truck coming. As I got closer to where I parked I notices a small fire, on the power lines!! It was one of those wires that goes into the ground, it was sparking and on fire when the fire truck arrived. That was the first thing I went through...

Second was as I was driving home another fire truck came tumbling by right up ahead of me. As I went up the hill I noticed that everything below was flooded and there was a car stuck in the middle.

Third thing that happened was that as I was turning on the street that connects to the one I live on, I ran into two problems. First one was that the entrance was flooded and there was a car right before the flooding flashing its lights not wanting to go through and risk it. So being that I'm new to driving in this area and don't know another way to where I need to go I went ahead and passed through the flooded area. As I was going though my car began to die on me and my momentum was all that saved me because it kept me going past the deepest part to where my engine began to breath again. Now the second thing in my pass was a half mile down the road where a giant tree fell. I just can't get a break can I!! So again I risked it and drove around the tree which put me half way on the sidewalk.

So I am now home and soaked since the wind blew my umbrella away wondering if any of you guys are going though troubles right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM

76 posts, read 169,256 times
sorry you're having such a bad day, but it could be worse, after taking risks twice you could have ended up like the car you saw stuck in the middle of the water. It's corny but turn around, you can find another way home or wait until things let up.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Still at work... things are going nuts but we're still here. I think classes at UTSA are still on too.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:27 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
Better to go somewhere and hang around until the water goes down to a safe level, if you don't know a safe route. What have you got to lose? The safe way, a little time. The other way, your car, maybe your life?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
St. Mary's, TAMUSA and OLLU have cancelled afternoon and evening classes, according to KSAT Newsroom (ksatnews) on Twitter.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
This morning around 7:00am I was driving down I-35 on the NE side, before getting to FM3009 there was a SUV that seemed to have spinned out of control and hit the media (there’s one of those famous “SA highway ponds” in that area) The back of the SUV was on the left shoulder and the front was on the left lane of the highway and it was facing the opposite direction.
Some guy put his blinkers on and slowed down to keep anybody from hitting the SUV as I was passing in the middle lane.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
*shrugs* not a big deal for us here on the NW side...some pretty gusty winds, and of course, heavy rain, but nothing we haven't seen here already in the past year. Could have been a lot worse IMHO.

Oh wait, it just got worse, DirectTV just lost its satellite signal. lol

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

197 posts, read 605,296 times
A tree came down in front of my husbands work building. My cat got out and stayed out during the worst part of the storm. He finally came in dripping wet, scared, with eyes bugging out of his silly little head! We lost elecricity 25 times, but for only a few seconds at a time. My pool overflowed, trampoline blew part way away and tipped over. My husband layed down topsoil and planted grass seed yesterday....we didn't know about the coming storm.....it all washed away.....bye bye money and work. He's going to be depressed when he gets home from work.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
We got gusty winds and rain, but is quiet now. ( Downtown)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
It was pretty bad at Perrin-Beitel and 410 around noon. Pieces of a fence that divide our office building from an apartment complex came down in several areas. The wind was really loud for a good hour and there were times when the power flickered. Thank goodness it never went out though. We all left the office around 3, though. I got home and saw the power went out at home, though. I haven't heard from anyone around here how bad it was, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio