Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Texas. Vicious dogs have more rights than people. It's one of the worse aspects of living in this state.

These dogs should be destroyed with guns, so make sure to get a gun license and a nice powerful weapon. Go to the media to bring more exposure to this issue. Ultimately, your best bet is moving to a less backwards, and more sane and rational area of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Is it legal to shoot at a dog that is about to attack you? It may be a dumb question, but I want to be sure. One of the main reasons I want to get a CHL is to protect myself from dogs. Luckily, I get to carry a gun at work where there are dozens of stray dogs.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Sounds like Texas. Vicious dogs have more rights than people. It's one of the worse aspects of living in this state.

These dogs should be destroyed with guns, so make sure to get a gun license and a nice powerful weapon. Go to the media to bring more exposure to this issue. Ultimately, your best bet is moving to a less backwards, and more sane and rational area of the country.
The good thing is your extremely ignorant rationale and "logic" is not common... the issue is with the owner, not the dogs. And I'm saying this as a former owner of one of those "vicious" dogs. She was of course a gentle baby, but it didn't stop ignorant fools from thinking the worst as soon as they saw her.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM

73 posts, read 152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Is it legal to shoot at a dog that is about to attack you?
If you fear for your life (imminent danger), you absolutely justified to use lethal force dog or human.

Edit: Personally, I would feel horrible for taking either a dog or human life if ever put in that position. I hope it never happens.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Quote:
Shooting “Stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.
Quote:
Keeping a Dangerous Dog (Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 822 Sub-Chapter D). A dangerous dog is defined as one that makes unprovoked attacks or acts like its going to attack a person when it is out of the enclosure which it is being kept. State of Texas law (Chapter 822.041) states that the owner of a dangerous dog must register the dog with animal control office or the Sheriff Office in areas without an animal control office and restrain the dog at all times on a leash when outside its secure enclosure. The owner must also purchase a $100,000 liability insurance policy specific for the dog to cover the cost of potential damage to a person. This law became effective in 1991.
Source: Texas Animal Laws

But if a person feels the dog threatens them with death or serious injury, they may have a defense under Texas Penal Code section 9.22 Necessity. They could still be arrested for discharging a firearm in the city limits or 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT ((7) discharges a firearm in a public place other than a public road or a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code; and (9) discharges a firearm on or across a public road;). It's all a matter of how badly someone feels they need to defend themselves.

And oddly enough, there are laws concerning dogs attacking livestock, domestic animals, or fowls; but nothing specific about them attacking humans!!

Anyhow, San Antonio does have animal control laws, so loose dogs are a violation of those. I for one am not going to risk injury or even rabies if a large dog like that was attacking, I'd put it down and deal with any consequences that may arise.

Hell, if our governor can do it, what can't I?

Bu the way, state law requires that all animal bites must be reported to Animal Care Services. You may call the bite office line at (210) 207-6667 or 311 24 hours a day, 365 days a year! (Source) Maybe ACS will know how to handle the situation better than the SAPD!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,697 times
Call an attorney, have him file on the homeowners insurance for medical, vet bills and other damages!!!
Presidence needs to be established!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,282 times
Those vicious dogs should be put down and get a lawyer fast and sue the @#$@# out of those people!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunderpig View Post
sounds like texas. Vicious dogs have more rights than people. It's one of the worse aspects of living in this state.
*Applauds*

I'm outraged that those dogs weren't put down. Maybe those people who side with the owners and those dogs should have a "go" at it and see how they feel when they get attacked.

I hope the OP sues the heck out of these people and contacts every media outlet in SA to let them know what's going on.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
So the dogs were born vicious, eh? I suppose murderers are born that way too? It would suck to be your kids.. talk about ignorance. Poor things.

BTW, you put someone's dog down for them and they might return the favor to YOU...

Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
So the dogs were born vicious, eh? I suppose murderers are born that way too? It would suck to be your kids.. talk about ignorance. Poor things.

BTW, you put someone's dog down for them and they might return the favor to YOU...
I believe people are born criminals, genetic composure, same as animals. Some dogs are docile, some are born mean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio