Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
P.S. Most property owners insurance includes some liability coverage for injuries such as this, so chances are good you will be able to collect.
If they even have insurance. Hell, half the people in this city don't have car insurance so I'm sure those without renter's/homeowner's insurance is pretty significant around here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2payton View Post
I actually agree with the logic of this statement but i dont think that it is a practical solution considering the ramfications of the issue. To be more direct i do not think that dogs are born to kill or attack. I do agree that owners make them this way. But if that owner is going to get those dogs back in a weeks time and those dogs have attacked other animals and humans. And there is a HIGH chance of it happening again with more severe results. Then you must put the animals down for the saftey of the population as a whole. I do not see this as an extreme positon at all and in fact i think it is the common sense correct solution.
just to say i agree, and my biggest peeve is not that some dogs are put down, but that the conciquences the owners face often pale by comparison to the sentence the dogs get. i care very much about the safety of the public, and why responsible pet ownership is so important. taking a dangerous dog off the street indeed does alleviate an imediate safety concern, but leaving the people responsible for them on the street does society no better, in my opinion. which is why i hope your legal actions pan out greatly in your favor. even still, i don't have high hope these individuals will "get it". as we all know, dogs aren't the only "repeat offenders"...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
If they even have insurance. Hell, half the people in this city don't have car insurance so I'm sure those without renter's/homeowner's insurance is pretty significant around here too.
this cannot be repeated enough. im guessing that their insurance doesnt cover a lot, given that they paid for your emergency room visit but neglected to pay for your pooches vet bill

in this event, i would most definetly sue them, their lives be damned. THEY were the ones that caused the dogs to be the way they are. THEY should be held accountable for that.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
but leaving the people responsible for them on the street does society no better, .
the people you are referencing have a 'cultural resistance' do doing the right thing. in this case, it would be training your dog properly and neutering all 3 of them.

if the pooches had been altered, the reduction in doggy male hormones may have had a positive impact and not led them to be this aggressive. of course, a lot of dog aggression is owner-learned...

Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Welcome to Texas. I was bitten by a dog a week ago while walking down a city street, and went to the ER for treatment to the bite wounds on my ankle. As required by law, they called the animal control officer, who took the particulars of where the dog was and who owned it. He said he would drive by there once in a while, and if he sees the dog, he will quarantine it. I asked him about medical expenses, and he said I could file a civil lawsuit against the owners, but first I'd have to try to find out who they are on my own, because privacy laws prevent any agency, like tax or utilities, from disclosing the identity of the occupants of the house. So, I have to walk up the house and knock on the door and ask the people to identify themselves and show me their papers (like Sheriff Joe), so I can sue them.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Three letters:

S U E

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, I have to walk up the house and knock on the door and ask the people to identify themselves and show me their papers (like Sheriff Joe), so I can sue them.
No, you don't......look 'em up on the County Tax Records. If the Owner of Record doesn't live in the house, contact them, and ask for the name of the tenants.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, I have to walk up the house and knock on the door and ask the people to identify themselves and show me their papers (like Sheriff Joe), so I can sue them.
if they own the property, the tax records are public and you can pull them on your own with a google search.

if they rent, let your lawyer work that out. they have ways of finding out who is where so they can sue.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
My sister had a Chow for years, one day it bit here. The vet said it wasn't a matter of if but when. There are certain breeds that are known to be aggressive and to attack, which is why states ban them.

To the OP, you should read this: Texas

There's great info in there, such as...

Quote:
When it is not possible to prove that the dog owner was aware of its dangerous tendency to bite people, the victim can base his claim on negligence. For a short but complete discussion of negligence, see Legal Rights of a Dog Bite Victim. An example of negligence would be keeping a dog such as a pit bull or Rottweiler in a day care center; the owner of the day care center will be held liable if the dog bites a child.

There is a particular form of negligence that is referred to as "negligence per se." This cause of action arises when a dog owner or dog handler violates an animal control law in the municipal code or county code. The violation of the criminal or quasi-criminal law constitutes a tort, which forms the basis of the victim's claim.

For example, in one case a dog owner let his dog out without a leash, and it attacked a little girl down the street who was walking her puppy on a leash; under those circumstances, the dog owner was held liable for injuries to the girl and her little dog. The courts of Texas have recognized that the unexcused violation of a statute or ordinance constitutes negligence per se if the statute or ordinance was designed to prevent injury to a class of persons to which the injured party belongs and it has been determined appropriate to impose tort liability for violations of the statute. See Perry v. S.N., 973 S.W.2d 301, 305 (Tex. 1998) (citing Praesel v. Johnson, 967 S.W.2d 391, 395 (Tex. 1998)); Chapa v. Club Corp. of Am., 737 S.W.2d 427, 429 (Tex. App, Austin 1987, no writ).

To prevail on a claim, the litigant alleging negligence per se must show that there was a violation of a statute or an ordinance. See Moughon v. Wolf, 576 S.W.2d 603, 603 (Tex. 1978) (citing Missouri Pac. R.R. v. American Statesman, 552 S.W.2d 99, 102 (Tex. 1977)).
Focus on Lillian's Law and Negligence based on failure to stop attack, if either applies than you have a good case against the owner.

You also want to read this: Legal Rights of Dog Bite Victims in the USA

The owner should be held accountable, but the dog also needs to be put down since it has proven it will attack humans there is no other option but to put it down. Failing to do so only puts a greater danger to the community and more legal liability on the owner.

What is it going to take, a child being mauled to death before the dog is put down?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2payton View Post
1. The dogs were intact.
2. There was a slot on the fence that was open and had been open for about a weeks time (we take this walk everyday) and it is that hole in the fence that they busted through.
3. The dogs never gave us a chance at all they just attacked (a normal dog would sniff or try to play)
Regarding # 1 - I believe you mentioned both male and female dogs. Just curious how you know the female was "intact" - did ACS check this? Wondering if that's part of their normal investigative process?

Regarding #2 and #3 - Have the dogs been in that backyard every day when you walked by? It just seems odd that you walked by the hole in the fence every day for a week but they chose that particular time to break out - you would think other people (with or without dogs) would have walked by in that time period. I wonder if they used to be restrained (making life even worse for the pups/causing them to be even more under-socialized and likely to bust out of the yard) and on that day they weren't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio