Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times

Advertisements

Bummer about Double Dave's!! We were planning on going there tomorrow night ~ the playstructure was the clincher! And my son is applying to work there. Maybe him working there will make it all better! Ha! NOT!! Was there anything particular that "unimpressed" you, Paka?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Bummer about Double Dave's!! We were planning on going there tomorrow night ~ the playstructure was the clincher! And my son is applying to work there. Maybe him working there will make it all better! Ha! NOT!! Was there anything particular that "unimpressed" you, Paka?
Well, since you asked...for day 2 of being open, it was dirty. When we went to sit down, the chairs had food on them. Table was clean, but chairs were not. Also, the doors (both front and playground) were dirty with lots of handprints on them (know that kids and pizza will do that, but sure seems if I noticed, staff might too).

Food was not so good...the thin, crispy pizza was thin and "wongie" vs crispy (soggy, limp) and salad bar was dirty and in need of sprucing up. All the side containers looked dried out and old...even the red onions looked like they were chopped a day or two ago and allowed to sit uncovered in the fridge. Stuff from one container into the other...lettuce was iceburg, romaine lettuce was darker, but lots of "rib" area type. Did NOT care at all for the fork/spoon/knife area....they are in ONE container that EVERYONE reaches into to get (sideways type). I am not a germaphobic, but was wishing I had my gel hand sanitizer with me. DH said it felt like CiCi's only 3 times the cost (and we dont eat there), so really not excited about paying 3 times as much for something we just don't really care for.

I don't know, maybe it was just me...but it does not meet our needs. I REALLY can't help but wonder how it will do at that location. I can see that they will draw folks with the kids eat free offer, and there were some folks in there this evening that appeared to be an all you can eat buffets worst nightmare.

On the brighter side, DH said the beer was ok.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM

(after reading your post, imagining it in your sweet voice that I SOOOOOOO adore!........)

ACK!! I'm not a germaphobe either, but work with one. And she's rubbed off on me!! giggle.. So all that you wrote about would drive me nuts, too. ('specially the silverware thing...ugh!)

hhmmmmmm........ stick with Papa Murphy's??? Sounds like it...

edit - OHHH!!! And "wongie"??!!! Love it!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Oh yea, Papa Murphy is about 10,000 times better and a FRACTION of the cost.

I can buy DH good beer to drink at home.

I AM thrilled that Which Wich might someday open here tho....if it is anything like the one on Hubner/I10 we are REALLY looking forward to that!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
That sucks about DD's and it was totally not like that on opening day. Hopefully someone reads this and does something about it because I really liked it. I drank iced tea and it was good and strong and I also noticed the quite large beer selection. Problem with working nights is it's not really alcoholic friendly, unless you like to start at about 7:00 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 PM

heh! We're ALL lookin' forward to Which Wich at our place! My 8yod is practically jonesin' for it! And yep, not only can I buy my own good beer (to go with Papa Murphy's decidedly "hair free" {at least for us ) pizza), the kids can play in their own backyard after dinner. (And I make make sure that we don't have any "wongie" crusts, either!! LOL!!!)

Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM

hey rd!! You at work yet? Review on either of the Mexican food places on Potranco???

Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I didn't want to burst y'all's bubble about DD's, but I already knew it was gross.

We used to go to the one on NW Military and West Avenue, and it was OK the first time, and subsequent visits were awful. We went a total of 3 times, I think, and that was all the chances we were willing to give them. I don't care for their sauce, and everything else is so-so. When you are paying that much for pizza, I'd rather go to Goomba's or Rome's and get a quality pie. (The only Rome's I've been to is at Bitters and West, and it's good--I know people on here have been less than happy with the Bandera location, but I've never been).

Sorry to hear about Sips n More--I really wanted to try them.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,797 times
We went to the Jalisco Mexican restaurant and it was really good. The food was just really delicious and the meat was so moist and tasty. Then, we saw them on that "behind the kitchen door" bit on the news. They had something like 31 violations or something. Supposedly all of them were fixed, but the fact that they were on there didn't sit well with us. It was mainly for food related offeses. Plus, they were caught not wearing gloves or having hand sanitizer for the workers or something. I think they said it was supposed to have all been OK now. You can watch the whole thing on KSAT's webpage I believe.
As far as the Sazon Mexican Cafe (I think that's the name) it's not open yet. We went to Wokinn last night and I happened to go up to the storefront, since I'm excited for that one too, and it had a sign saying "opening soon" or something to that affect.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I've been to the Castle Hill DD's a few times and it was great every time, but I obviously have unique taste when it comes to pizza.. and yes I am at work now, but did not go get any food on the way. I'll try that out this weekend maybe, but I'm seriously wanting some Chacho's to make up for that Mama Margies I had last week..

and some of the best food is from places that probably aren't exactly sanitary. one in Mazatlan comes to mind. it was open air with flies all over the place, but damn was that food good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio