Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM

336 posts, read 484,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Not only is it off-topic, it's flagrantly ignorant.
Not to take this thread completely off-topic, but you keep harping on this and I'd like some clarification:

How is it ignorant? Do you not realize that the GLBT community comes in all shapes, colors, social backgrounds and has been present since the beginning of time? They've also been murdered, bullied, hung, strong-armed, chastised and because of it, stayed closeted for who they are. I would classify that as many of the same issues that minority groups have gone through in their effort for equality.

You can spout politically-correct platitudes, but at the end of the day, their fight is the same fight and discounting that is wrong.

Last edited by staunchcharacter; 04-21-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Not only is it off-topic, it's flagrantly ignorant.
statistics show that only recently (as in the last 2-5 years) has support from the african american community towards gays and gay rights risen. before that? yeah, about that...

correlation does not equal causation, but it makes you wonder what caused the shift in support.

cheers!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM

785 posts, read 954,668 times
Why is the topic being shifted to gay rights?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM

201 posts, read 280,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Not to take this thread completely off-topic, but you keep harping on this and I'd like some clarification:

How is it ignorant? Do you not realize that the GLBT community comes in all shapes, colors, social backgrounds and has been present since the beginning of time? They've also been murdered, bullied, hung, strong-armed, chastised and because of it, stayed closeted for who they are. I would classify that as many of the same issues that minority groups have gone through in their effort for equality.

You can spout politically-correct platitudes, but at the end of the day, their fight is the same fight and discounting that is wrong.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I meant was saying something like the entire African American community does not support gay rights is ignorant. That's the message that was conveyed by KM1174.

And what do you mean by I keep harping on this? I made one comment.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
OP I understand your struggle. I found this forum through a google search looking for neighborhoods to live in BTW.

My fiancee and I moved here about a year ago. We are a very active black professional couple and we have both noticed it would be tough for a single black man trying to date in SA. Ironically my mate is originally from Houston so some of the other posts may be on to something.

I travel extensively throughout the US and I would say the most open place for dating would have to be Seattle or the SeaTac area. It's a little too liberal for us but I enjoy all the outdoor activities it has to offer. Besides I'm a ball cap, boots, and jeans type of guy. Texas is the ONLY place a black man can pull that off.

I wish you good luck in your search. If your in to activities such as biking, running, etc.. You shouldn't have too much trouble dating wherever you end up.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 AM

69 posts, read 99,635 times
I don't think you are used to living in an environment just because the culture and minority odds are stacked against you. As a Hispanic I don't always feel comfortable walking into every establishment within the city. We are sometimes stereotyped as second class citizens so don't think anything is given to us. We are told we live within certain sectors of the city and refered to like a thing rather than people.

Have you ever thought It could be your personality that people treat you differently. Join meetup groups for single people that share your experiences rather than "I'm going to leave because I'm treated differently, "really" If you could listen to yourself then you could see the problem. I hate for other people to use excuses for their failures :Murphys Law "A man may fail many times but he isn't a failure until he blames someone else" - If your going to move then move this isn't Dear Abby. Good Luck where ever you go and don't to let the door of the Alamo City hit you on the way out.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default Civil rights and Gay Rights,Yes,

The civil rights movement is, the same as the gay rights struggle. In some ways.
Remember- As late as the 1940's whites and blacks could not intermarry, here in Texas, exactly as the gay people still cannot. Rights like these came only at the cost of hard fought for victories.
You are using the word hate here , as an action verb of course, here at the forum to describe this comparison of rights ?
You've something in common with the Clippers owner.

As for this being a romantic advice column wwwweeeeelllllll,,, perhaps we might lower our sights a little?
Start throwing with a "wider loop" in your rope. Join POF.com the dating website, free of charge. There are thousands of eligible girls on there. It is like playing the Lottery.

Perhaps as Staunch character implied here , your clumsy and calculated - obvious, even self-described aloofness can and will alienate people.
Guaranteed.

Lastly do not lose sight, of course - that San Antonio is a very old city of "the deep south" . Long embedded customs, attitudes are slow and difficult , difficult to eradicate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Thanks for your insight.

Oh certainly people are entitled to their opinion. I'd just rather be around people who are more accepting of me, or rather me feel that way, rather than try to convince someone.

That devil's advocate is off topic and all I will say that the Civil Rights movement is not the same as the struggle for Gay rights and I really hate when people compare the two as though they are equal. Everyone is entitled to be happy IMO.

Also I've had the pleasure of meeting some good people here, but of course you meet some Hispanics that have negative views of other races, or Hispanics that down blacks but worship whites, etc. You meet all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio