Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM

31 posts, read 40,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I don't just want to meet blacks. I just want to be in a place where I'm accepted for me. If I was 17 or something I would spend time on trying to impress people but not at 30.

I feel your pain of not feeling it here..at your age unless you are anchored down to the area by family or the job of a lifetime... bolt! You either feel it or your dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 AM

785 posts, read 954,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASUX View Post
I feel your pain of not feeling it here..at your age unless you are anchored down to the area by family or the job of a lifetime... bolt! You either feel it or your dont.
The thing is that I'm experienced with moving around a lot, picking up, and making new friends. I had to do this because I've moved about 9-10 times or so. Here it's a bit different and I feel out of place at times.

In the long run I more than likely move, but at the same time I am still trying to open up and be more social overall instead of whine about things.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM

950 posts, read 1,260,381 times
Are you a church goer? There are a lot of black churches here in San Antonio,especially on the east side. Maybe you might try googleing black orginazations or something here.
I'm sure there must be a least one or two around for black professionals like yourself.
Hey I'm white,and 57 or so.listen being single sucks,I know. Most everyone i know is married and or has kids,grandkids etc. Also they aren't interested in in some of the things I'm into.
For me,if I moved, New York would be a better fit.But i live in the house my parents bought back in 1978 and it's paid off,and they are buried at Fort Sam Houston.You might look and see where a YMCA is around by you,join a gym or such where you can meet people.They might have some tips for you.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

785 posts, read 954,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Are you a church goer? There are a lot of black churches here in San Antonio,especially on the east side. Maybe you might try googleing black orginazations or something here.
I'm sure there must be a least one or two around for black professionals like yourself.
Hey I'm white,and 57 or so.listen being single sucks,I know. Most everyone i know is married and or has kids,grandkids etc. Also they aren't interested in in some of the things I'm into.
For me,if I moved, New York would be a better fit.But i live in the house my parents bought back in 1978 and it's paid off,and they are buried at Fort Sam Houston.You might look and see where a YMCA is around by you,join a gym or such where you can meet people.They might have some tips for you.
Yes, but Catholic lol.

Thanks for the advice fellow single friend

Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,989 times
Years ago a casual friend of mine was in an interracial relationship with a very beautiful and quite stunning woman of color, she was maybe half black, or full, never asked and it didn't matter then. He was as white as they come and they both came from middle class backgrounds.

Her mother worked for the local Catholic television station and they were Catholic I believe. Likely she left town long ago but my main point is maybe you just need to attend mass more often (maybe you already do) after trying different ones.

Understanding you are not in it just for dating it was her brother who told me where their mother worked at. Good luck finding friends in general.

Last edited by Merovee; 04-03-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM

336 posts, read 484,208 times
I don't see Organized religion curing this issue. To me, it's as much a city issue as a social one

And before you blink, I was raised Catholic, so I'm know the drill... I really wouldn't recommend him trying to find non-judgement in a church environment

Last edited by staunchcharacter; 04-03-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 36,416 times
San Antonio is the small town that got big, so most of the people still have small town attitudes. The circles can be very closed. Even within the different groups, circles are still closed. I have tried so many times to find people of like mind and have miserably failed. Black people feel uneasy with Hispanics; Hispanics feel out of place with anglos; anglos feel like they are being attacked left and right... It is a mess, top it of with issues indigenous to the bible belt... Even though I see a lot of diversity on the streets; behind closed doors there is a lot of segregation. That will not change unfortunately; you just have to keep on trying and trying until you slowly build a group.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM

12 posts, read 22,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I seriously doubt people here care about what food you prefer or if you are a sports fan. Possibly during the NBA playoffs if anything, but the same would apply to any NBA city during the playoffs.
At my current job right now, I work with women in their 40s+. They asked if I liked tacos since one of the ladies brought them for breakfast. I said no I really not too crazy about Mexican food. Two of the ladies just stopped eating and asked why I didn't care for it. I mentioned that I just never seemed to enjoy it. They asked what kind of food I enjoy and I mentioned Italian. They then told me that I was in the wrong city since San Antonio is heavily a Mexican area.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 AM

437 posts, read 639,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhirokun View Post
At my current job right now, I work with women in their 40s+. They asked if I liked tacos since one of the ladies brought them for breakfast. I said no I really not too crazy about Mexican food. Two of the ladies just stopped eating and asked why I didn't care for it. I mentioned that I just never seemed to enjoy it. They asked what kind of food I enjoy and I mentioned Italian. They then told me that I was in the wrong city since San Antonio is heavily a Mexican area.
oh geez, nothing to be hurt about... probably just giving you a hard time. with that said, how do you not like tacos, lol.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Please go back on topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio