Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,579,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post

I do encounter few blacks due to my job and lifestyle. Also it's silly to believe just because someone else is black I should instantly associate with them based on skin color or something.

Quaker was trying to point at something that did not have any relevancy in my OP. I only slightly mentioned dating in my initial post but the majority of my post was not about that.
Would it be fair to say that you prefer to be in the company of non-blacks over blacks? This is totally rated to this post. That's why you're in the situation you're in. You're black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM

336 posts, read 484,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Would it be fair to say that you prefer to be in the company of non-blacks over blacks? This is totally rated to this post. That's why you're in the situation you're in. You're black.
No, it wouldn't be fair the discussion.

And no, it's 'totally' not RELATED to what we're discussing, as the OP has said several times that they prefer all kinds, all colors.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM

161 posts, read 172,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhirokun View Post
I've been here for 4 years because of family. Getting ready to move out to Vegas. When asked why I don't like it here, I mention that I don't like Mexican food or the abundance supply of Spurs bootleg merchandise. I get so many odd looks. If you don't like either one of those two, people seem to shun you. I know I've had it happen to me at my current job. There's got to be more to San Antonio that just that.
odd looks? Really? Well, your complaints are frivolous at best and if someone told me that, then i would shun them too.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:25 PM

785 posts, read 954,668 times
I moved here for my career. The idea of being around non blacks didn't cross my mind. My line of work tends to have few minorities in it. Being one of three blacks in a department is a reality of mine.

I do like the company of blacks especially when it comes to food lol. I found a few good soul food joints here despite the plethora of Tex Mex here which I find overrated.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
odd looks? Really? Well, your complaints are frivolous at best and if someone told me that, then i would shun them too.
One thing about many Texans I met is that many seem a bit insular to other ideas. BUT JMO. People here have told me Texas is the best but haven't lived any further than 50 miles from where they were born.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM

201 posts, read 280,004 times
Beaste, I'm really curious and I'm sorry if I'm intruding into your personal space but what is your profession?

The reason I ask is because I feel like I have a lot of similarities with you and wonder if I could give any insight. I'm mixed with black and white (so obviously a minority) and I'm an attorney but my difference is that I'm a San Antonio native, going to grade school, college, and law school here.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood on the north east side in the Judson district. I now live in the quintessential East Side - 4 miles from downtown, I could bike to my work downtown. All my life I've lived in the areas that have the largest black populations of the city.

From my experience, I'd have to say if you are looking for a black social circle of professionals, you are certainly in the wrong city (and I hate to separate this based on race but it's just the truth.) From my personal observations of professional acquaintances, I could count on one hand how many black students I saw or met in law school. I could now count on one hand how many black lawyers I come across. Sometimes I feel like I'd have to break outside of my socioeconomic class and befriend people that I don't have similar lifestyles/goals with just to obtain more black friends in this city and I think that's sad. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone.

That being said, if you are looking for a diverse mix of friends, I just think you are probably hanging out in the wrong spots. Growing up here, I will admit that I haven't had any problems with having a social circle. My social circle is economically and racially diverse and we frequent the urban core, Southtown, downtown, Pearl, etc. when going out.

With dating, I haven't experienced any overt racism and I've dated what I feel is the whole array of races. I've met some very open-minded women and just think that you need to meet ones with a more liberal attitude about race. I know a few of them! My wife is Mexican and Italian (and smoking hot ). But I agree with you, it just might be the wrong city for that open-mindedness.

Also do you have an extracurricular activities that you enjoy? That always seems like a winner in obtaining new friends.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

201 posts, read 280,004 times
One more thing, I just looked at your profile and saw that your zip code is 78154 - Schertz. I realize that is northeast of San Antonio but I wouldn't consider it the "northeast side". It's too far out there.

Brother... come closer to downtown before you make any generalizations. Schertz is not the place for you. I grew up in the Judson district so I'm very familiar with that whole area. Trust me, the urban core makes a difference.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 AM

justiciability I'll PM you.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Same here, 400 days until I finish out my grad program here then I'm going to try for Houston!
Lucky you. I have about 2 more years at Texas State University depending on how long it will take me to write my dissertation. I thought about moving to Austin since the commute will be about the same. Also, I think Texas State University kept some of its bus routes to Austin while it eliminated all of the ones to San Antonio. Whenever I go to Austin, I usually have an easier time meeting people.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I moved here for my career. The idea of being around non blacks didn't cross my mind. My line of work tends to have few minorities in it. Being one of three blacks in a department is a reality of mine.

I do like the company of blacks especially when it comes to food lol. I found a few good soul food joints here despite the plethora of Tex Mex here which I find overrated.
LOL! I'm from Houston, and I feel the Tex Mex here in SA is overrated!

Good Tex-Mex is hard to find...but there are some good ones out there.

Again, Houston sounds like your cuppa tea.

This Is It on Blodgett has to be some of the best food I've ever had in my entire life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio