Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You must not have kids.

Of course you tell them not to speed. You also hope they aren't having sex, but do you want them caught without a condom? You want them to be responsible with money, but do you let them get a checking account and become overdrawn so they learn responsibility? I could go on and on, but why? One day you may have kids of your own.......................don't wanna scare you.
You're kidding, right? A radar detector is not a condom for speeding. A radar detector will not protect you from having an accident in your car because you were being stupid. Making that comparison is apples and oranges. And yes, I do have kids. I've been through this with both of them. There are better ways to keep them safe than by giving them a radar detector.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right? A radar detector is not a condom for speeding. A radar detector will not protect you from having an accident in your car because you were being stupid. Making that comparison is apples and oranges. And yes, I do have kids. I've been through this with both of them. There are better ways to keep them safe than by giving them a radar detector.
This is exactly what I was trying to say.

Saphire,

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sorry that you view any sort of attempted conversation or discussion as "correction". I'll make sure in the future not to respond to your posts.

Also, a smiley face is not a band-aid; it doesn't take the sting out of mean or passive-aggressive comments. Your comment was meant to condescend and to insinuate that my point of view or my opinion was less worthwhile; though it hurt me in a way you did not intend, it still stung and no little smiling .gif changes that.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Nope, wasn't kidding. I haven't given my kids radar detectors. I'm hoping that they won't speed. But I'm not so naive as to think they won't. I speed. I have accidentally run a red light. I don't always come to a complete stop at a stop sign in the neighborhood. I don't always yield (stop) on the access roads. However, neither of the two accidents I've had during my 27 years of driving were from my "being stupid." They weren't my fault.

How is anything I "do" going to keep them safe while they are driving anyway? What "better ways" are you referring to? Oh, yes, by telling them not to speed, run red lights, yield when they're supposed to, etc. Yes, that always works! That's why our roads are such a pleasure to drive on every day.

I understand that you have a problem with what you perceive is people trying to circumvent the law. I respect that. But that doesn't mean that people without radar detectors are obeying the law at all times.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

How is anything I "do" going to keep them safe while they are driving anyway? What "better ways" are you referring to? Oh, yes, by telling them not to speed, run red lights, yield when they're supposed to, etc. Yes, that always works! That's why our roads are such a pleasure to drive on every day.
One of the ways would to be to let them know that they will suffer the financial consequences of being irresponsible with their vehicle. If a child has to pay for some or all of his/her insurance and vehicle, they are more likely to respect the fact that it is not a right to drive, but a privilege that can be revoked at any time.

Before my children ever sat behind the wheel, they were completely clear on what I would do if they ever got a ticket or caused an accident. They also had to pay part of their own insurance costs, all their own gasoline and auto upkeep, and a good part of the purchase price of the car. Both of them proved to be very responsible and neither of them has ever caused an accident nor gotten a ticket. Ages 23 and 26, so take that as you will, but I obviously did something right without giving them a radar detector.

It's a shame that so many parents these days refuse to teach their children about personal responsibility.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
My son just turned 20. He pays us $160 a month for his portion of the car insurance. He pays all costs associated with the operation of the vehicle, minus the payment. We had already purchased the car as our 2nd vehicle, which we don't use because my husband has a company vehicle. He is very responsible with making those payments to us, and while behind the wheel, so far, knock wood. My question to you was "What can I do while he's driving, that will make him safe?" The answer is, "Nothing." He can only be the best defensive driver that we've taught him to be, and we can hope and pray for the best. Again, I did not provide a radar detector, but I am not up in arms because someone else has. His kid is a leadfoot, by choice, because kids make their own choices. I have gleaned from rd2007's other posts that he is a very dedicated father, who has taught his kids to be responsible. If you feel he's being irresponsible by providing a radar detector, then so be it.

And please, Eleanor, give me a break. I can't find the post where you called me out because that whole run was deleted. But you basically asked me why I would care what anyone on an internet board said/thought. So take your own advice. Again, I'm sorry about your stillborn child. But no way did I set out to hurt you. I don't even know you.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:37 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
But does your insurance company know you have it?
Most carriers I've worked for will not cover a vehicle with a radar detector and, if a radar detector is added later their policies actually exclude coverage for any claims (for some obvious reasons)....
And police officers DO note the presence of them on their completed reports, which means, we - the adjusters, will find out about it and coverage for that accident would be, of course, excluded - and.................... the insured will probably be immediately dropped altogether....
when they attempt to secure insurance elsewhere, the new carrier WILL find out about your radar detector, and you'll only be able to get insurance at about 400% of what you previously paid..... and yes, you can remove it prior to a physical inpsection by the new carrier, but...... we will know about it anyway......
I have to admit I have never heard this one and nothing personal but I do not believe it. An insurance company cannot penalize you for something that is 100% legal in the state of Texas. Secondly, having a radar detector is not proof that you speed. Maybe some of these shady insurance "companies" have this written in their policies but if my insurance company tried to invoke a restriction on something that was perfectly legal to own I would challenge it.

Needless to say I am no fan of insurance companies, and I have one of the highest rated in the country which is based here in San Antonio (shouldn't be hard to guess who it is). I pay as much for a 1996 VW Passat worth about $3-4K as I do a 2005 Honda Odyssey that cost $35K new. Same applies for my two motorcycles, one is a 1991 and would probably be valued at $2-3K and my 2005 is worth $9-10K. The 1991 I have had since new, and I have paid double of what it cost new for insurance over the past 17 years.

I also believe speed limit enforcement is done more so for revenue generation that to increase safety on our roads. If that was the goal, the police need to be out there pulling people over for tailgating, switching lanes without signaling, the suicide multi-lane exits San Antonians are famous for, and most importantly, those idiots who feel that it is their God-given right to sit in the left lane when not passing! What makes me laugh is that they scream about people driving over the speed limit, but they are just as guilty of breaking the law...

Quote:
§ 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An
operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
The most violated law there is! Technically, it is also illegal to pass to the right of a vehicle (§ 545.053. PASSING TO THE LEFT; RETURN; BEING PASSED) (Source = TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE, CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES, SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm - broken link)); but as no one seems to abide by § 545.051, if you tried to obey § 545.053 you would never get anywhere!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-16-2007, 05:53 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I was going to say the same thing as Major. How can they hold something that is 100% legal against you? Besides, the rotten insurance companies, like geico, actually buy police departments radar guns. To me, that is pure BS and shouldn't be supported by anyone. geico along with progressive are two companies I will never do business with for sure..
As far as saying I'm not teaching my kids personal responsibility just because I buy them a radar detector.. I have a lot to say about that, but none of it is nice.. I'll just say that's a rather ignorant thing to say about someone you don't even know...

BTW, radar detectors will also alert you to the presence of emergency vehicles and the sound they make is impossible to ignore. Unlike the plethora of morons driving down the road with phones attached to their ears or stereos cranked up so loud they can't hear the fire truck behind them.. maybe the insurance companies (and some posters here) should worry a LOT more about them and a lot less about people who drive a few mph over the speed limit..

Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

BTW, radar detectors will also alert you to the presence of emergency vehicles and the sound they make is impossible to ignore. Unlike the plethora of morons driving down the road with phones attached to their ears or stereos cranked up so loud they can't hear the fire truck behind them.. maybe the insurance companies (and some posters here) should worry a LOT more about them and a lot less about people who drive a few mph over the speed limit..
So when you gave your lead-footed son a radar detector you said to him "Son, this is so you'll never miss hearing an emergency vehicle again!", right?

You might not have anything nice to say about the fact that I think it's a bad idea to give a radar detector to a teen driver who is known to be a danger. That's fine, our opinions on the subject are obviously different. But the only message I see in giving an irresponsible teen driver a radar detector is the message of "It's okay to speed/break the laws of the road as long as you don't get caught."

That is not teaching personal responsibility and self-control. It's merely teaching that as long as you can get away with something, it's okay. And that's all I have to say in this thread.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Thanks for your comments and I'll make sure to remember you in future postings. Good bye

Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
well I think our work is done here! Maybe the OP was able to glean a little bit of helpful information out of this, who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio