Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Can we please take the personal conversation offline. Over the past couple of months this thread has been cluttered with lots of just back and forth conversations instead of information, facts, and specific memories about locations around San Antonio. Thanks.
It looks like some of those asides belong in a separate Direct Message conversation. Everyone should make more of an effort to stay on topic in the thread.

Now... back to the topic!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 AM

262 posts, read 911,340 times
Quote:
It has been closed for a few years for remodeling. I was able to gather this info on it.

July 18, 2008
" I finally caught up with Chris Hill, the new owner of the Esquire Tavern, this week.
He expects the Esquire to reopen in four to five months. As for what it will look like?
"All we're doing is cleaning it up a little bit," Hill said. "It will return to its venerable, little old self. We have started cleaning up the bar and trying to get it sort of serviceable and functioning again."
Hill, who owns other property downtown, said he has contacted some of the Esquire's former employees.
"It's going to be like it's been for a long time," he said. "We've found some of the old employees, so we'll be approaching them."
Hill said he is keeping the "same old booths and tiles." As for the vintage wallpaper? "It was so nasty that it came down," he said. I guess you can't win'em all. Pour a little for the wallpaper later.
As for the drinking: The Esquire will keep much of its former drink menu, which means you can still order Lone Stars and cocktails on the cheap. Because beer prices are going up everywhere, Hill said beer will remain cheap relative to most bars. And there are plans to add a kitchen eventually
Best wishes to Chris Hill & the new Esquire. It's a downtown tradition. The Esquire & Bar America are the best places downtown to go for a cold one without paying tourist prices. Hope the Esquire keeps those mini cocktail tamales on the menu.
Back in the late 60's I used to walk by the Esquire in the afternoons on my way from St. Mary's School, the place was always packed. Every now & then the door would open, I'd feel the breeze of the refrigerated air and would sneak a peak inside.
I sure would make the trek from El Paso to SA to attend the re-grand opening of the Esquire!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,575 times
Sorry if I got off topic but sometimes a little friendly conversation will knock loose old memories gone but not forgotten in San Antonio. satx56 got me thinking about something that I don't think anyone has talked about on this thread yet. Old Airports. There is a good place to go find out about these places. www.airfields-freeman.com. There were a lot of airfields in and around San Antonio and I would love to hear any stories anyone would have about them.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM

472 posts, read 1,793,500 times
Quote:
It has been closed for a few years for remodeling. I was able to gather this info on it.

July 18, 2008
" I finally caught up with Chris Hill, the new owner of the Esquire Tavern, this week.
He expects the Esquire to reopen in four to five months. As for what it will look like?
"All we're doing is cleaning it up a little bit," Hill said. "It will return to its venerable, little old self. We have started cleaning up the bar and trying to get it sort of serviceable and functioning again."
Hill, who owns other property downtown, said he has contacted some of the Esquire's former employees.
"It's going to be like it's been for a long time," he said. "We've found some of the old employees, so we'll be approaching them."
Hill said he is keeping the "same old booths and tiles." As for the vintage wallpaper? "It was so nasty that it came down," he said. I guess you can't win'em all. Pour a little for the wallpaper later.
As for the drinking: The Esquire will keep much of its former drink menu, which means you can still order Lone Stars and cocktails on the cheap. Because beer prices are going up everywhere, Hill said beer will remain cheap relative to most bars. And there are plans to add a kitchen eventually
Anyone know if that waitress that worked there for like 50 years is still gonna be working there? She happens to be my friends Reggie and Alex's grandmother, cant remember her name but I know Alex still works on the boats downtown (tour guide, river taxi).

Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,876,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Sorry if I got off topic but sometimes a little friendly conversation will knock loose old memories gone but not forgotten in San Antonio. satx56 got me thinking about something that I don't think anyone has talked about on this thread yet. Old Airports. There is a good place to go find out about these places. www.airfields-freeman.com. There were a lot of airfields in and around San Antonio and I would love to hear any stories anyone would have about them.
Totally agree with you Dwangle!! Stinson field probably has the most history and it's alive and well. Being improved regularly. I've checked some of those airfield maps some time ago. Interesting stuff and trying to figure exactly where they were! Interesting how a probable one time poster on this thread can be so pushy.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 138,054 times
I was out at Stinson just a few weeks ago. Hard to believe that Stinson was THE airport for San Antonio up until the start of the fifties. The military airports like
Randolph dwarfed tiny Stinson. Things can change so very fast, as we all know.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
Dwangle.....awesome link of forgotten airfields! Love the SA photos old and new...including maps!! Wow!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:38 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
DW...I posted this in a topic on who's who...but it makes sense to repeat it here. I noticed on one of the topo maps a military installation by the name of Palfrey. I did a quick search on the name, but it seems to come from the land owners at the time. It may not have been an airfield....maybe just a training or parade ground. It was on the Southeast side of town. Ever heard of it or know anything about it? It was on a pre 1940's topo....and has been long gone.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM

That's the same site I went to while back. It's improved a lot has been added. They show the blimp program from early 20's. Blimp blown into the hangar. Later the program was moved up to NE somewhere. I used to see Huey's flying out of Martindale in early 70's. There was a little field off Rittiman or road south of it . It ran from Harry Wurzbach to I-35. Not far off Harry W. down this road was a little field I think.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
DW...I posted this in a topic on who's who...but it makes sense to repeat it here. I noticed on one of the topo maps a military installation by the name of Palfrey. I did a quick search on the name, but it seems to come from the land owners at the time. It may not have been an airfield....maybe just a training or parade ground. It was on the Southeast side of town. Ever heard of it or know anything about it? It was on a pre 1940's topo....and has been long gone.
Cat you did see the Palfrey's connection to Medina Dam? May have been your info. I'd like to know more about Standard Industries (Battery)existance. They had their own landing strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio