Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times

Advertisements

I used to love Grandy's chicken fried stark and biscuits. They had one in Flour Bluff long before they had one here, and it was a family traditional to always eat there on our last day on North Padre Island. Used to eat at the one here a lot when I was in highschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I used to love Grandy's chicken fried stark and biscuits. They had one in Flour Bluff long before they had one here, and it was a family traditional to always eat there on our last day on North Padre Island. Used to eat at the one here a lot when I was in highschool.
Yes. I liked the chicken fried steak too. I don't remember what else was on the menu. I didn't know there was a Grandy's in North Padre Island. We alway's went to the Pancho's in Corpus Christi. It's funny that we never went to a seafood place when we were down there.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM

59 posts, read 116,739 times
I dont think anyone reported this but the only Texadelphia in San Antonio on 281/Bitters has Closed. Big for Lease sign has been placed.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM

715 posts, read 1,357,246 times
Liked texadelphia. Here comes another Mexican joint in their place.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 AM

16 posts, read 26,134 times
Re: Texadelphia: Only went there two or three times and was not particularly impressed, just sort of "average". There was another cheesesteak place that opened up a couple months ago at the corner of Huebner and I-10 (in the former Which Wich location), tried once recently and it was also just "okay". So far I haven't found what I would consider a "good" cheesesteak place, but I also haven't tried some of the top-recommended places yet (like Youz Guyz).

Re: Grandy's: Being a child of suburban north Texas, I went to Grandy's plenty of times and enjoyed the cheap chicken-fried steak. But it seems the chain ended up stuck in the late seventies/early eighties and never grew with the times. The chain itself was bought out by Souper Salad a few years ago and they were going to try and turn it around, but that didn't go too well because about one year ago, Souper Salads/Grandy's declared Chapter 11 bancruptcy. Grandy's closed a bunch of locations, and was bought out by Captain D's. I'd be interested in seeing a Grandy's in SA, but it's nothing I'd go out of my way for.

And speaking of more fast food, I remember an article a year or two ago about local company Biglari Holdings had bought out Steak n' Shake and was planning on expanding, including San Antonio. An article in today's business section of the newspaper about Biglari (about them being fined in their buyout of Cracker Barrel) reminded me of them, so that got me wondering what's up with their Steak n' Shake plans. A new "flagship" store was planned at the corner of 1604 and 10, but the "Coming Soon" sign has been sitting in a vacant lot for over a year now. A quick check online shows that a new location may be opening up in the near future at DeZavala and 10, and the Steak n' Shake website does shows they are looking to hire a restaurant manager for San Antonio.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthigh View Post
Re: Texadelphia: Only went there two or three times and was not particularly impressed, just sort of "average". There was another cheesesteak place that opened up a couple months ago at the corner of Huebner and I-10 (in the former Which Wich location), tried once recently and it was also just "okay". So far I haven't found what I would consider a "good" cheesesteak place, but I also haven't tried some of the top-recommended places yet (like Youz Guyz).

Re: Grandy's: Being a child of suburban north Texas, I went to Grandy's plenty of times and enjoyed the cheap chicken-fried steak. But it seems the chain ended up stuck in the late seventies/early eighties and never grew with the times. The chain itself was bought out by Souper Salad a few years ago and they were going to try and turn it around, but that didn't go too well because about one year ago, Souper Salads/Grandy's declared Chapter 11 bancruptcy. Grandy's closed a bunch of locations, and was bought out by Captain D's. I'd be interested in seeing a Grandy's in SA, but it's nothing I'd go out of my way for.

And speaking of more fast food, I remember an article a year or two ago about local company Biglari Holdings had bought out Steak n' Shake and was planning on expanding, including San Antonio. An article in today's business section of the newspaper about Biglari (about them being fined in their buyout of Cracker Barrel) reminded me of them, so that got me wondering what's up with their Steak n' Shake plans. A new "flagship" store was planned at the corner of 1604 and 10, but the "Coming Soon" sign has been sitting in a vacant lot for over a year now. A quick check online shows that a new location may be opening up in the near future at DeZavala and 10, and the Steak n' Shake website does shows they are looking to hire a restaurant manager for San Antonio.
Does anyone remember Zoopa's? It was like a souper salad. We had one here in San Antonio a few years ago over by the Quarry. I wondered what happened to them?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Does anyone remember Zoopa's? It was like a souper salad. We had one here in San Antonio a few years ago over by the Quarry. I wondered what happened to them?
I liked it, too. It was always crowded when I was there. Looks like the chain retrenched and confined its operations to the west coast.

Texas and Washington locations | Fresh Choice

The only Zoopa location outside of California now is in a suburb of Seattle

Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Zoopa was great. I felt like such an insider when I would ask for a piece of chicken and they would slip me one, like it was our little secret. They had the best salad bar, though, and it was always packed when we went. Souper Salad is pretty good, except the one at Blanco and 410 was always a little dirty. We eat SS at least once a week up here, but everyone says Sweet Tomatoes is better, just haven't been yet.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,777 times
On the subject of Zoopa (and how I miss that kind of concept): Would love to see Cafe Express come to San Antonio... A healthy, quick option for those of us who value good nutrition over deep fried junk.

BN

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,430,221 times
(More than) rumors: Green Vegetarian Cuisine is opening up another location across the street from Il Sogno (in the old Nightmare on Grayson Street building?), and the owners of the Monterey are opening up a pizza place (with drinks) where the Foundry coffee shop was, on McCullough in Monte Vista. As a resident of the area, I'll be very pleased if this all pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio