Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times

Advertisements

Since my wife asked me about this, I looked it up and our break from state and local sales taxes on school items will be August 15-17. Also, lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the tax break.

The law exempts most clothing and footwear under $100 from taxes. Backpacks under $100 for elementary and secondary students are also exempt. This includes backpacks with wheels, provided they can also be worn on the back like a traditional backpack, and messenger bags; but does not include items that are reasonably defined as "luggage," i.e. briefcases, athletic/duffle/gym bags, computer bags, purses or framed backpacks. Up to ten backpacks can also be purchased tax-free at a time without providing an exemption certificate to the seller.

(Source)

I also found this list of most exempt items (see disclaimer at bottom).

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM

152 posts, read 517,614 times
Layaway? Who has that anymore?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
Thanks for the info Major. I will make it a point to be on the lake that weekend .

Sorry, I just can't handle the crowds to save a few bucks.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
What I still don't understand is why they don't put school supplies on the tax- exempt list!! Then again, I don't get why parents will not get their kids the supplies on the list...and it's not a $ issue...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
I agree - school supplies would make sense for the tax exempt list. I know they get more people to the stores with tax exemption for clothing because it is a bigger savings, but if they had clothing plus school supplies, maybe families would get both.

I also don't understand why places like Office Max and Office Depot limit their super discount school supply stuff to only 3 or 10 per item when they must realize teachers are the ones buying those in bulk to give to their students (because students sometimes show up without them - last year 8 out of my original 22 students brought the school supplies on their list, but all but 1 of my students had new backpacks, new clothes, new shoes, fancy pens that cost $5 or more for one pen rather than $1 that could have been spent on a box of pencils, money for an extra serving at lunch each day, etc.)... I spend enough money at those stores during the school replenishing supplies for the students that it would be nice if I could get 20 or 25 folders for a penny each during a one-time sale.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM

796 posts, read 3,048,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I agree - school supplies would make sense for the tax exempt list. I know they get more people to the stores with tax exemption for clothing because it is a bigger savings, but if they had clothing plus school supplies, maybe families would get both.

I also don't understand why places like Office Max and Office Depot limit their super discount school supply stuff to only 3 or 10 per item when they must realize teachers are the ones buying those in bulk to give to their students (because students sometimes show up without them - last year 8 out of my original 22 students brought the school supplies on their list, but all but 1 of my students had new backpacks, new clothes, new shoes, fancy pens that cost $5 or more for one pen rather than $1 that could have been spent on a box of pencils, money for an extra serving at lunch each day, etc.)... I spend enough money at those stores during the school replenishing supplies for the students that it would be nice if I could get 20 or 25 folders for a penny each during a one-time sale.
I had a similar problem recently when I was school supply shopping at HEB. Since this year I am buying supplies for 4, I went over on some items that they had limits for. The cashier said that she would have to ring up the stuff that went over on a different transaction, since their computers will automatically start charging full price after the limit has been reached. Maybe OM or OD will do the same for you, if you explain you are a teacher, maybe they will do something like that for you.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
YES!! I have my husband and kids come with me to those 1cent/5cent sales, and we all buy the limit. That way, I can replenish my classroom supply. I just don't see how kids can afford Blackberries and iPods, and not a 50 cent composition book!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 714,572 times
Did you know that diapers were tax exempt this past year? lol, weird. Nice savings though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio