Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:12 PM

94 posts, read 654,805 times

Advertisements

How fabulous are you 210? My poor sweet hubby has been searching for SA images all over the net and here you slap them all in one place. Got to love you for that. The pics are great, I really can see the cities essence. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 04:40 PM

562 posts, read 660,403 times
Nice pictures. However 99% of those are of the downtown area where nobody lives, and the houses shown more or less are all millionaire homes.

Just about 5 minutes from some of these photos are houses (term used loosely) that should be condemned, yet people live in them. One room shacks nailed together and rooms sometimes added on.

There are more crummy houses in San Antonio than you can shake a stick at. It's a tourist town, and nobody in the blue collar variety can make a living there. That's why I live in SA and work in Louisiana in the offshore industry. Unless you own a large business, are a millionaire by birth, or are a con man, nobody makes more than $7 - 10 an hr in San Antonio.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
210 210 started this thread

1,722 posts, read 2,244,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Nice pictures. However 99% of those are of the downtown area where nobody lives, and the houses shown more or less are all millionaire homes.
People do live downtown, but those pictures were posted to give people of sense of the history and architecture of San Antonio.

Also, those homes are not millionaire homes, those are Monte Vista and they are $400,000-$600,000 dollar homes.

Quote:
There are more crummy houses in San Antonio than you can shake a stick at. It's a tourist town, and nobody in the blue collar variety can make a living there. That's why I live in SA and work in Louisiana in the offshore industry. Unless you own a large business, are a millionaire by birth, or are a con man, nobody makes more than $7 - 10 an hr in San Antonio.
Really? So my parents who are none of those make a combined $220,000 a year.

I am also do not own a large business or am a millionaire by birth nor a con man but I somehow happen to make $22 dollars an hour. Go figure.

In the short short time you've been here you've made unfounded claims about two cities with so proof to back anything up.

Would you like a break down of actual jobs and pay for every employed person in SA? I have those facts and they're easily obtained on the internet.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM

562 posts, read 660,403 times
You would have to be a millionaire to afford a $400,00 to $600,000 home.

The average worker in San Antonio makes $7-$10 an hour on average. Internet statitics are rubbish. You are going to tell me the majority of people who live in SA make $20 and more an hour is pure speculation. There are just not enough educated people in the city to justify that sort of claim, especially when the city is not geared towards high paying jobs - on the contrary the city is geared towards low paying, tourism jobs. I've lived there for 23 years so I should know. I work in Louisiana and live in San Antonio because of the low wages there.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,715 times
Smile Wow

Those are nice pics. Love the many taco stands. My favorite food indeed.

My wife and I are thinking of relocating there from CA with my company later this year. Her folks retired to the SA area and she liked it after visiting them. If we were to work in downtown SA, can you recommend any new construction areas in SA for us to look at that would be less than a 45 minute commute to downtown?

My wife looked at areas called the Dominion, Stone Oaks? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:09 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,421 times
The general rule of thumb is you buy a house 4 times what you earn yearly.

50,000/year = 200,000 house

100,000/year = 400,000 house

Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettrDayz View Post

My wife and I are thinking of relocating there from CA with my company later this year. Her folks retired to the SA area and she liked it after visiting them. If we were to work in downtown SA, can you recommend any new construction areas in SA for us to look at that would be less than a 45 minute commute to downtown?

Thanks!
Stone Oak. It's where 'it's' at.

Lovely area.

Traffic can be heavy often but it's worth it for the convenience of shopping, medical centers and overall beauty and safety.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Default 13,300 - 19,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
You would have to be a millionaire to afford a $400,00 to $600,000 home.

The average worker in San Antonio makes $7-$10 an hour on average. Internet statitics are rubbish. You are going to tell me the majority of people who live in SA make $20 and more an hour is pure speculation. There are just not enough educated people in the city to justify that sort of claim, especially when the city is not geared towards high paying jobs - on the contrary the city is geared towards low paying, tourism jobs. I've lived there for 23 years so I should know. I work in Louisiana and live in San Antonio because of the low wages there.
Tourism jobs aren't even in a top 3 industry.

Your facts aren't even facts, your "facts" are things you've just pulled from the thin air.

The per capita income for SA in 2005 was $31,000 meaning the average San Antonian earned about $17 dollar an hour.

Would you like to know what the per capita income was for the "white collar" (SA is white collar by the way) metro 70 mile northeast of SA? Their per capita in 2005 was $34,000 meaing the average person their earned about 18 dollars an hour.

If your going to make claims, have the facts and figures to prove them.

Also, FYI, you wouldn't have to be a millionaire to afford a 400,000 - 600,000 dollar home. You being an adult (I assume) I would think you'd know that.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettrDayz View Post

Thanks!
How much are you looking to spend on a home and what type of home (single, multi, garden, townhome, etc) would you prefer?

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 AM

49 posts, read 271,713 times
Terrific pictures 210!!! And I love how you looked UP, especially with the old downtown buildings. This city has the most amazing architecture if you just take the time and look. I lived in SA for nearly 20 years from mid Sixties to early Eighties and worked downtown for several years. I took the bus to work from whatever part of town I lived in and on those rides I took notice of what was out my window. I have lived away from SA for nearly 25 years, coming back to visit family as often as I can and no matter how the city changes, I can still find my San Antonio by looking at the details. San Antonio is the only large city I would ever consider living in.

I love the layers this city has and how history is right in front of you and the people who lived here before, whether 250 years or 25 years have left footprints that remain. Many of your pictures have captured that feel.

I am new to this board and have spent a lot of time reading all the different threads. I have lived many places I wasnt very fond of, but I always tried to appreciate that place for what it was and not what I thought it should be. San Antonio is more than a place, it is a state of mind.

For anyone who wants a peek at San Antonio's past, see if you can locate a copy of book printed by the Express News in the early 1980s called A PLACE IN TIME. You might try the gift shop at the Alamo or the Express News itself. The book is a compilation of old photos from the newspaper archives. The photos freeze that moment...that place in time. You can take the book and actually stand where the photographer stood and see many of the same buildings in the photograph, especially the ones looking up Houston Street from Alamo Plaza.

Again, thanks for sharing your terrific pictures!! Viva San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio