Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 PM
210 210 started this thread

1,722 posts, read 2,244,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Most of SA's population live in neighborhoods like the one you joined (may not be as new, though). SA's culture is in Downtown, once you leave it, that is it.
SA's culture is in its people and history not its housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 07:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
SA's culture is in its people and history not its housing.
SA's culture is in its Downtown, with the Alamo, Riverwalk, and old missions and houses. The people are no different than the ones in El Paso or Phoenix.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
SA's culture is in its Downtown, with the Alamo, Riverwalk, and old missions and houses. The people are no different than the ones in El Paso or Phoenix.
Um, no its not. Even the basic definition of the word tells you its not.

Quote:
the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
Quote:
the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Well, when I am there, I don't see anything different with the people. It may feel like I am in Mexico, but nothing else beyond that. I don't see many Nigerians or Asians like I do in Houston. I don't see Chinatowns in SA.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,949 times
San Antonio doesnt have ethnic neighborhoods because it is a cultural melting pot. Where else do you blend in the best of American and Mexican culture and bring them together? San Antonio has a unique atmosphere you dont see in most US cities -- that is undeniable.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
San Antonio doesnt have ethnic neighborhoods because it is a cultural melting pot. Where else do you blend in the best of American and Mexican culture and bring them together? San Antonio has a unique atmosphere you dont see in most US cities -- that is undeniable.
It sure is. It has mostly Mexican (Spanish) and American culture. Some German here and there, but that is about it.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
It sure is. It has mostly Mexican (Spanish) and American culture. Some German here and there, but that is about it.
So you're basing that off of the ancestry of the people who founded/settled in San Antonio many many moons ago.

The culture isn't from the race or nationality of the people who founded this city.

Btw the way, I enjoy the unimpeachable POV of someone who doesn't even live in San Antonio. That's great, what other great insight can you give me about my native city?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
SA isn't like everyone else. Sure suburban sprawl is suburban sprawl no matter where you go but that doesn't define a city. No city is defined by its suburban housing stock.
If the suburban housing stock does not define San Antonio, then why did you post these last pictures of such stock on a thread that you yourself entitled "set of pictures that best capture the essence of San Antonio"? Don't get me wrong. I do believe that those last pictures define quite well what most of San Antonio is. I am also not surprised that many people consider it to be a thing of beauty. Guerilla, I think that you and I need to come to terms with the fact that America is populated with many many people who find beauty in the mundane and ordinary, as exemplified by these suburban sprawl dwellings. I do believe that this captures the essence of the San Antonio that most transplants move here for.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,368 times
I hope that most native San Antonio's wouldn't consider anything beyond 1604 to be the "essence of San Antonio". The essence of San Antonio to a native would range from the beautiful parks; McAllister, Brackenridge, San Pedro Springs, Travis, to Museums; the McNay, Witte, Institute of Texan Cultures, San Antonio Museum of Art, to the Architecture of Olmos Park Mansions, Southside Ice houses, our beloved MCM of Terrell Hills, the art deco off fredericksburg, The iconic Tower of the America's and Tower Life building. Shopping in Southtown, the boutiques along N. New Braunfels, the Eisenhauer Rd. Flea Market. That's the essence of San Antonio, not mcmansions carved into the side of hills, not Costcos or Imax theaters either.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 AM

283 posts, read 1,836,421 times
I think ALL of the places mentioned above should be bulldozed as I find them trashy and unnattractive.

I LOVE THE GROWTH OUTSIDE 1604

Especially in Stone Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio