Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,744 times

Advertisements

I dislike small minded people who spam the forums with ridiculous garbage because they are too inconsiderate to realize that SOME of us were trying to have a conversation in particular threads that we can no longer FIND because they are on a 2nd or 3rd page due to an obvious individual who is ADD. No names required.... just look at the first page of threads.

Moderators? Come on.... please ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFL3 View Post
Sit back, have a coca cola or pepsi and smile. Enjoy your Friday night, kind sir.

See ya around....

Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 16,464 times
i wish san antonio went back in time to 1984.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,304 times
I love SA when ever I do leave I get home sick and always head home
I Love the history
I love the culture
I love the people
I love once a true San Anton always one
I love our SPURS!!!!!!
I love that we know how to have a good time and throw the best celebrations

I don't like when people who arn't from here making our city look bad
I hate the lack of respect for our city and how much we have grown
I hate when anyone disrespects our culture or anyone else's
I don't like the traffic at times but everywhere I have gone has the same problums(ITS PEOPLE WHO DON"T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!!!!& ARE TOO NOSIE WHEN THERE IS AN ACCIDENT)

Other then a few small things SA is a fun, beautful place with awesome weather and with some of the sweetest people Ive ever meet

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM

16 posts, read 44,423 times
Yeah the only thing I don't like is the speed of development... It'll be like 50 years before we have that enormous feeling like DFW... Hell by then they'll be like 3 hours away from us!

But Don't get me wrong I DO love it here it's just not like a "young" town like the way Austin and Dallas and even Houston feel... There's just soo much to do there if you're NOT a tourist.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
San Antone doesn't have a ghetto area at all. Expecially so, in the true sense of the word.

Chicago, Detroit, cities like those these have true urban blight, and have true ghettos. Without getting into the statistics of crime, unsolved murders, city budget deficits etc. these cities contain within their boundaries- abandoned 50 story buildings, stores and thousands and thousands of homes. Entire neighborhoods are sometimes abandoned, it is a sorry spectacle- these areas and sometimes they truly resemble in parts third world countries in many ways.

Ghetto is a catch word used here in many posts by persons who use it as if
it is an interchangeable word to notate lower middle class or something negative.

People from ghettos would exchange places with San Antonians, if they could.
BRAVO! Right on.

I tire of these feeble-minded people who seem to think San Antonio is "ghetto" and this or that. Those ignorant individuals don't know REAL ghetto.

We are a heck of a lot better off than many other cities! That's for sure.

Maybe these people who don't like SA, should leave. That's a good idea. You would think, right? Thanks for the video link as well! That video from Detroit looked like something out of a Third-World country somewhere.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Love: weather, cost of living, diversity

Hate: 90% ghetto (was 80% when I moved here), fattest, dumbest city in the U.S.
*shakes head*

Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Detroit is now at 800,000 population. 87 total acres now are overgrown and littered and vacant with many, many more entire neighborhoods and factories etc. abandoned, within the city limits. Homes can sell for as little as $500.00 to as little as one dollar. That is no mistake $1.00 per house.

This isn't the abandoned mattresses, trashbags, bikini carwashes etc, the eyesores that are sensationalized here in San Antonio, locally, for a lack of newsworthy stories. There is a genuine unspeakable human tragedy, suffering, that goes on in Detroit daily and there is nothing to do about it. The city is decaying and dying.

It is not gloating to say, Life is good in San Antonio, not so good sometimes, but good. It is luck. Count your blessings San Antonio.
YouTube - A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto
I know I do very well, others who like to put down this wonderful city so much, should heed your advice.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I think you're confusing ghetto with urban decay. Ghettos do not have to be falling apart; they're just areas a minority group is forced into through legal or socioeconomic pressures. Urban decay can happen amongst those who are in the majority.

Urban decay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Britain experienced severe urban decay in the 1970s and 1980s. Major cities like Glasgow, the towns of the South Wales valleys, and some of the major industrial cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, and east London, all experienced population decreases, with large areas of 19th-century housing experiencing market price collapse.
Ghetto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In the United States, many Hispanic immigrants from Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean concentrated in barrios located in cities with large Hispanic populations such as Orange County, California; Anaheim, Baldwin Park, Chino, Coachella, El Centro, El Monte, Fresno, Huron, Hemet, Indio, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Modesto, Monrovia, Moreno Valley, National City, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Cincinnati, Compton, Inglewood, Southern Los Angeles, Oakland, Ontario, Rialto, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Ana, California and Temecula; Alexandria, Virginia, Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and San Antonio, Texas; north of Philadelphia,PA and Phoenix, Tucson, and Yuma, Arizona; Denver; Oklahoma City; New York City; Brentwood, New York ;Chicago and Sterling, Illinois. Many of these cities struggled with issues of crime, drugs, youth gangs and family breakdown. However, middle-class and college-educated Hispanics moved out of barrios for other neighborhoods or the suburbs. The barrios continually thrived by the large influx of immigration from Mexico, this largely due to the explosion of the Latino population in the late 20th century. The majority of residents in these urban barrios are immigrants directly from Latin America.
Quote:
Despite mainstream America’s use of the term "ghetto" to signify a poor, culturally or racially-homogenous urban area, those living in the area often used it to signify something positive. The black ghettos did not always contain dilapidated houses and deteriorating projects, nor were all of its residents poverty-stricken. For many African Americans, the ghetto was "home": a place representing authentic blackness and a feeling, passion, or emotion derived from rising above the struggle and suffering of being black in America.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:49 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Right now I hate that 5 miles in every direction from me is under construction. Need a damn off road vehicle to get from my house to 410
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio