Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 PM

175 posts, read 304,019 times

Advertisements

That's completely understandable...I don't think anyone wants to pay more for the same product. What I'm saying is that in order for competition to survive, a place on a metro level must accept slightly higher prices. But ultimately, the consumer decides, and San Antonians decided that they were not willing to pay slightly higher prices to sustain a competitive grocery business...so the competition packed up and left and now HEB holds a 67% stake in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote by L3XVS "I know what you're going through Chris, I struggled to understand SA's mentality for years (I still don't get it), but you have to realize this place is the way it is and it's not changing. The sooner you realize that, the sooner either you can adapt, or like in my case, refuse to adapt and leave. It also explains why I'm leaving for Austin, which admittedly is no New York or LA, but it sure as heck is a step up from this place."

Bad news Bubba....HEB owns Austin as well. You will have to move somewhere other than Austin to prove your point!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 PM

107 posts, read 238,855 times
I like L3XVS was talking about the over all culture.
Knowing people in Austin, I have never heard of love for a supermarket. They have much more going on to care about such things.
Seems like in SA, a event is going with the wife/husband and five kids to WalMart or HEB. It is so sad.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
I like L3XVS was talking about the over all culture.
Knowing people in Austin, I have never heard of love for a supermarket. They have much more going on to care about such things.
Seems like in SA, a event is going with the wife/husband and five kids to WalMart or HEB. It is so sad.
Actually we are going to Henrys Puffy Taco tonite but HEB Plus is right up there

Seriously though I think "events" like doing the grocery store thing, the mall, eating out at a "sit down" restraurant, for a lot of families is a no small feat, not just in SA but for families in general.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 PM

HEB does not dominate the grocery biz in Austin. They have more than one Whole Foods, Sun Harvest, Wheatsville Co-op, Randalls, as well as more than one Central Market (which I realize is also HEB). In addition, Austin still has a number of smaller "mom n' pop" establishments that locals still frequent. Sorry, no comparison.

Chris, think about SA...the only shopping here was Northpark before La Cantera came in '05. There's no NFL team (explains why San Antonians love their Spurs), and the best eatin' (or shall I say most accessible) food is either Mexican or Bill Millers BBQ. This explains why San Antonians collectively get such enjoyment out of activities that people in other metros might find mundane or downright dislike. It's because there was/is nothing here better for these people with which to occupy their time. Of course, it's a much slower paced and heavily family-oriented city, so perhaps activities which bring the family together are seen collectively as enjoying.

Sidenote: it's weird how the Central Market and Whole Foods here are so much smaller and lacking in selection compared to the ones in Austin. I guess they really wouldn't have much of a market here, selling higher-end items and appealing to the more health conscious....afterall, SA is one of the fattest cities....

Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Mmmmmm Bill Millers..........................

Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 PM

I will say Bill Miller's has great iced tea though.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Northpark? Where's that?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 AM

284 posts, read 759,367 times
Everything

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Northpark? Where's that?
I think they meant North Star. Someone had speedy fingers. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio