Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,027,817 times

Advertisements

-Mercado
-Things like Hecho A Mano
-Being able to find free things to do on the weekends
-Being able to go out and enjoy Sunday morning almost alone since everyone is either in church or hung over
-Lots of Mexican resturants
-Hill country is close
- I love my children's teachers

Dislikes:
-In my mind culture is more than hispanic culture. I'd love to see more different kinds.
-Although I love Mexican food I would like to see more indian, thai, greek, spanish, cuban, mediterranian, etc. Sure we have some but not enough for as big as this city is.
-I wish we had better 24 hour resturants and better take out and delivery. I wish we could get some good thai or something at 3am if we wanted.
-The weather. I know some people thrive in warm climates and love them but I do not. I can add a layer of clothing if I'm cold but I can't take off all my clothes. I always feel like I want to take off my skin because I'm so hot and my ac bill is through the roof.
-ALLERGIES! I have them all year round and my poor son as suffered more than a child should with all the crap in the air! We are allergic to oak. We are so screwed here.
-Just the general feeling that since this is such a big place there should be more choices in everything and more things offered. The feeling that we are behind.
-Get your flames ready.......I can't stand fiesta time.

As soon as the ball and chain graduates we will go north. Give me snow!

Last edited by carlitasway; 09-23-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
-Get your flames ready.......I can't stand fiesta time.

Noooooooooo! I love this city during fiesta. It makes us unique! The city comes alive...even if we're drunk 90% of the time.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,027,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Noooooooooo! I love this city during fiesta. It makes us unique! The city comes alive...even if we're drunk 90% of the time.
And I don't want to be drunk 90% of the time. And I hate major crowds. Drunk+major crowds= fiesta

Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 AM

54 posts, read 69,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I love fiesta, too! The crowds, the noise, everything! A great time to take my vacation. That way I get to take in all the weekday events, too.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Soooo . . . are you trying to say that you don't like San Antonio *belch*??? I hated Texas growing up, but now that I have been away for over 25 years (although I have visited), I'm ready to come home. I'll bring some air-freshners with me.
Dislikes: TRAFFIC & the lack of an authentic Irish Pub with authentic Irish music (strange considering how many military bases we have there)!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
As some of you know, I just moved here. Let me give my .02$

Loves
1. The Highway System. The highway system here is amazing. It really is. To be able to get from one end of this city to the other in the time that it takes is truly remarkable.
2. Traffic. I think the traffic is pretty good too. For the most part, there is not that much traffic, except at rush hour, and even that is not that bad at all
3. Location of stores/restaurants- So many things are close by and easy to get to. I love that there are 4 targets within 15 minutes of my apartment
4. Restaurants- Lots of great restaurants here
5. People- People, for the most part, are very friendly. Even at work, the people are sooo much nicer than they were at the same company in Virginia
6. Women- Lots of gorgeous women around here!
7. Prices- If you have never lived anywhere else, you probably do not appreciate how cheap things are here. From the obvious things like Housing, to groceries, electric and other stuff, things are so much cheaper here than other places

Things I dislike
1. 80's fashion- I walk around the mall, grocery store, etc.. and just stare in amazement and how people are stuck in the 80's
2. Car Insurance- Car insurance is CRAZY here. My last car was 485 every 6 months in Virginia, would be over 1200 every 6 here. And I have never had a wreck, no tickets in over 11 years.
3. H.E.B on Marbach... That needs no explanation if you have ever been there
4. Bad Drivers here- Just today, I saw a guy who rear ended a school bus on Hunt Lane... I mean come on! Its a HUGE YELLOW BUS!!!!

Thats really about it.

I actually LOVE it here. I have lived in the last 10 years in Canton (and surrounding suburbs) Ohio, Wilmington NC, Norfolk Chesapeake and Virginia Beach Va and here, and, this is by far the best

Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Here's mine after 1 month in San Antonio:
- Weather: Love this fall weather, I think this is gonna be my best winter since I moved to the US (15 years in Missouri). Good bye white s..t!!! (snow).
Love the palm trees, cactus, and tropical trees that make me feel like I'm back where I grew up. Also the mediterranean houses.
- Hispanic culture: My 1st language is spanish and for the 1st time I feel like I can speak spanish in public and people won't look at me as if I was speaking arabic in a plane. It's gonna take some time to get used to speaking spanish in public without feeling uncomfortable.
I'm very glad that my kids will be exposed to spanish frequently, hopefully they'll learn it.
- The zoo: I really liked it, it's not the prettiest zoo I've seen, but it's perfect for my 2 little kids because it's small and have lots of things to see.
- Historic San Antonio: I love it because all the missions remind me of all the spanish forts that I saw when I was a kid where I grew up. Makes me feel at home.
- Location: I enjoyed going to the beach in Corpus Christi in October (In Missouri apartments close their swimming pool at the end of September)
Also enjoyed going to Wurstfest in New Braunfels, about a million times more german that anything I saw in Fredericksburg.
Can't wait to visit Austin again (visited it last year), South Padre Island, Houston, etc.
- Texas pride: I really like the Texas pride, because it's just about being proud of everything that is Texan. As soon as I feel Texan, I'll be joining the crowd.

Don't like:
- Drivers: It takes me 10-15 minutes to drive to work on 281 and it's amazing how many people I see driving bad while talking on their cell phones and changing lanes without using their blinkers.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Forgot this one:

- Has anybody thought about putting a sign on 281 by the airport to let people know that planes might fly 50 ft. above them at 500MPH?
The 1st time I saw a plane flying right over my car it scared the @$#% out of me.

Someday I'd like to try the Tequila or Vodka that the guys that designed 281 (from downtown to 410) were drinking.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Forgot this one:

- Has anybody thought about putting a sign on 281 by the airport to let people know that planes might fly 50 ft. above them at 500MPH?
The 1st time I saw a plane flying right over my car it scared the @$#% out of me.

Someday I'd like to try the Tequila or Vodka that the guys that designed 281 (from downtown to 410) were drinking.
They are flying nowhere near 500 MPH when they are that close to the airport. Why you lyin'?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
They are flying nowhere near 500 MPH when they are that close to the airport. Why you lyin'?
Sorry, it's been a while since I've flown my plane
Ok, 20, 50, 1000MPH.

The point is that if it's the first time that you are driving through there,
you don't expect a plane to fly across the highway about 50-100ft from the ground.

I found this picture on the internet

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5...achwithoo9.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-13-2008 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: if it's not your picture, it's copyrighted, so post links instead of pics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio