Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times

Advertisements

The photo is of the "NEW" San Pedro at Bitters and 281. That picture was taken between 1970-80 because there are three screens. The third screen was added in 1970, and two of the screens were split in 1980.

I closed the San Pedro in august 1984, it was razed immediately. The Embassy opened about a year later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Thanks out for the info, so what was out there when the embassy opened? I am very curious to know.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
That probably was Charlo's Sinclair, I'm presuming. He moved to the corner of New Branfels and Fair and changed to Phillips 66. Cool Million, which is now called, The Other Woman, is where the Sinclair used to be(if my memory serves me right). There was also a Phillips 66 at Clark and Fair, owned and run by an old, nice guy everyone called, "Sarge". I think he originally worked for Charlo.
Nope, it was Oran Evans' station while I was there ('59 & '60) on the corner of Fair and Nopal, directly across from the old St. Margret Mary's. He moved after I left to the corner of Gevers and Waleetka. We did have a guy they called Sarge come in once in a while to help with the more complex repairs, and an elderly Mexican I knew only as Joe who was a tune-up magician. I pumped gas, did grease jobs, washed cars, and learned a LOT from passing tools and asking "Can I do that ?"

Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Nope, it was Oran Evans' station while I was there ('59 & '60) on the corner of Fair and Nopal, directly across from the old St. Margret Mary's. He moved after I left to the corner of Gevers and Waleetka. We did have a guy they called Sarge come in once in a while to help with the more complex repairs, and an elderly Mexican I knew only as Joe who was a tune-up magician. I pumped gas, did grease jobs, washed cars, and learned a LOT from passing tools and asking "Can I do that ?"
I was thinking more in the early to mid and late sixties...Maybe it became Charlo's after Evans' moved. Anyways........

Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I was thinking more in the early to mid and late sixties...Maybe it became Charlo's after Evans' moved. Anyways........
Could be likely. Mr. Evans had bought some land in Helotes and was talking about retiring. Between the McCreeless expansion, the housing boom, and the I-37 projects that whole area was changed beyond recognition in the 60's. I enlisted in the Navy in 61 and didn't make it back until all that was finished. I missed the I-37/I-10 exit, and thought I'd just get off at Military; no problem. Problem was it had changed so much I got headed the wrong direction and didn't notice until I got to WW White. Turned around and stopped at a gas station to find out which way it was to Goliad. Embarassing! Then the drive down Goliad was amazing. Nothing was left of the 'old' neighborhood. Only took a day or two to get oriented, but it was a shock.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,157,519 times
Thumbs up Great Site!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
OK I have not been on here in a while and stumbled across a site the other day that blew me away. If it has already been discussed on the forum excuse me bringing it up again. historicaerials.com

Saw an image of the old San Pedro Outdoor.
I am hooked on this site you referenced...

HistoricAerials.com

Very interesting to see all the changes in San Antonio from 1955, 1973, 1986 and 2004...especially in 1955 when Loop 410 wasn't around and the entire west and northwest sides of town consisted mostly of ranches or single homes scattered about. It's great to find your current neighborhood and then click on each year to see all the changes.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default Dragsters on Hackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I think Boss rider and Bud B were both from that area. I spent a lot of time over there too. Went to McCreless a lot over the years. If you are speaking of 50's era it was a different world then.
Just looked in after a while away and saw my name so will chime in with a question. Since there was talk of old-time SE area gas stations/mechanics I was reminded of a place down on Hackberry just off Highland kinda behind the old Highland Park State Bank. The place in mind was actually a garage where car repairs were done but my main memory of it was more exciting. It was also home to a drag racing team that built rail jobs for the race track out at the long gone drag-strip off Eisenhower or Rittiman Roads. Recall tells me the race team's name was Chris-Tex or something similar so does this jog anyones memory a bit? They built some hot dragsters in that place thru the 1960s and there was always something going on the few times I visited with a high school buddy who knew one of the mechanics there. Firing up those big bore engines with little or less pipe on the exhaust manifold was a sound unlike any other.
VVRROOOOOOMMM!!!
Aloha, BudB

Last edited by BudB; 10-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: reads better

Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Just looked in after a while away and saw my name so will chime in with a question. Since there was talk of old-time SE area gas stations/mechanics I was reminded of a place down on Hackberry just off Highland kinda behind the old Highland Park State Bank. The place in mind was actually a garage where car repairs were done but my main memory of it was more exciting. It was also home to a drag racing team that built rail jobs for the race track out at the long gone drag-strip off Eisenhower or Rittiman Roads. Recall tells me the race team's name was Chris-Tex or something similar so does this jog anyones memory a bit? They built some hot dragsters in that place thru the 1960s and there was always something going on the few times I visited with a high school buddy who knew one of the mechanics there. Firing up those big bore engines with little or less pipe on the exhaust manifold was a sound unlike any other.
VVRROOOOOOMMM!!!
Aloha, BudB
CKC Racing.....
Fritz Callier (driver) J.E. Kristek (wrench) Buddy Cortinez (money)...
if I remember correctly.

they're still around.

I'll post some more pictures from my archives, if interested.

edit to add,
the CKC shop you mention here is a few blocks north of the Norman Ploch location you asked about a while back.

Last edited by *mud*; 10-14-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Yep, that's them and I should have guessed that ol' Mud P would be the guy to ask. Glad to learn they are still racing. They got into funny cars later I heard so that explains the one in the great foto. My brother ran his '56 Chevy on amateur nights out at San Antonio Drag Raceway about 1966-'67 before getting drafted and that place drew big crowds. We saw an early jet car there once that scared the beans out of a lot of folks one night but I never heard of anyone getting hurt out there ... seriously. It must all be subdivisions by now and I know another strip was built south of town but that was after I left for greener pastures. Thanx Mud, you're the man.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
I knew about the garage over by the Highland Park Bank, but I guess those guys were a older. I didn't realize they were known nationally.
What's weird is that I bought a 62 Nova around 1968-69 that I installed a brand new out of the crate 327-365hp Corvette motor with 202 heads, edelbrock alum manifold, holley 3 barrel(huge sucker) and fenderwell headers. I did it by trial and error. It was a beast! If I'd known about them having a nova, I could have possibly gotten some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio