Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,057,281 times

Advertisements

LOL--there's no such thing as a free pool! I wondered about that--we offered a free jacuzzi to some people and they were so excited. All they had to do was come out and get it--of course, it was built into a deck so that had to be torn down. It was a group of 20-somethings that thought they were going to be able to just hook it up at their place I guess! Anyway, they tore the deck all up, dragged the jacuzzi off, said they would come back to get the pump and other "stuff" that goes with it. Well, that was last October and we haven't seen them since!! We're just glad the jacuzzi is gone--we got all the old deck wood hauled off, and now we are just waiting for the time/funds to make a nice flagstone patio with lots of foliage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,412,302 times
ha ha, totally agree with you and wish I would've never offered it in the first place. I guess I assumed people would know that it wasn't "free" because you had to hire someone to take it down, move it and then reassemble it, but I got what I deserved for assuming.. I think the actual price of the pool is pretty cheap, it's the labor to install it that costs the most. The guy doing my yard said a Bobcat is $325/day alone..
Speaking of the guy doing my yard, he's doing a good job and is an honest guy, but it's taking quite a bit longer than he planned.. He's new to the business, so I'll cut him some slack. The good part is he's honest and tells you the price he pays for stuff. Like three tons of garbage (that's what the pool and deck weighed) is only $100 to take to the dump. The other two people that came over said it was at least $500... The sod was also cheaper than he expected, so the price of the project will actually go down.. I'm guessing most contractors would just pocket the extra money..

Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM

162 posts, read 599,777 times
I'll be removing my above ground pool (approx 26 x 12 x 4) since my brother-in-law decided not to haul the "FREE" pool for himself. The contractor estimated $2100 plus tax to demolish, haul, the pool and little deck and also put sods on a small back yard. How was your experience with the contractor that you hired?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,828,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha ha, totally agree with you and wish I would've never offered it in the first place. I guess I assumed people would know that it wasn't "free" because you had to hire someone to take it down, move it and then reassemble it, but I got what I deserved for assuming.. I think the actual price of the pool is pretty cheap, it's the labor to install it that costs the most. The guy doing my yard said a Bobcat is $325/day alone..
Speaking of the guy doing my yard, he's doing a good job and is an honest guy, but it's taking quite a bit longer than he planned.. He's new to the business, so I'll cut him some slack. The good part is he's honest and tells you the price he pays for stuff. Like three tons of garbage (that's what the pool and deck weighed) is only $100 to take to the dump. The other two people that came over said it was at least $500... The sod was also cheaper than he expected, so the price of the project will actually go down.. I'm guessing most contractors would just pocket the extra money..
Wondering if your project is done and how everything turned out. I still haven't called this person yet--just got back from a trip to Disney World. Will be calling him in the next week or so.

Tiffany

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,412,302 times
sorry, I totally let this thread slip..
I would not recommend the person I went with. The work got done, but it ended up taking five days and the quality was not that great. The pool and deck are done and I have 11 pallets of sod now. The guy decided that a patio was not his forte and was supposed to get me the name of someone that would do it, but hasn't replied to any e-mails.. take that how you will, but I take it as not really wanting business.
So I'm still in the market for a 20x16 patio if anyone knows someone that can do it for around $1000. Going to go the paver route as it seems to be the least expensive and doesn't require a cement truck. removing the back fence was a nightmare as the posts were VERY warped. releasing the pressure on them now means they won't go back to straight and the westcreek HOA "lady" has been all over me. I seriously wish they would worry more about cutting the grass in the utility areas as they haven't done that in months and last I checked I was paying them to... seems westcreek cares more about certain streets and really could care less about others.. pretty messed up

Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm on the hunt again to find someone to pour a concrete patio. I called 2 places today and left messages and got no return phone calls. I'm guessing nobody is interested in pouring patios right now.

Tiffany

Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Well, after 2 weeks of calling about 20 different places, putting in a request on servicemagic.com I finally found someone to pour a patio for us. Nobody returned my phone calls except for this person. And he has turned out to be great! He was apologetic that others didn't return my calls--he assumed (as did I) that it's because there is so much work being done in the city right now that people can't take on more work. Anyway, he came out and looked at what we wanted, made some recommendations, got us a quote and started the work today and will finish up tomorrow.

Aside from the concrete company they used being 3 hours behind schedule (which to me wasn't a big deal) everything went well. He's even called back a couple times tonight to check the weather over here (it had started to cloud up earlier and the sky was looking pretty bad) to make sure everything was okay. From first contact to tomorrow, I'd say it's been about 4 weeks. He had some personal family matters to take care of during this time that pushed things back a bit. Which I totally understand...hey, things happen we can't control.

Anyway, I would HIGHLY recommend this guy and his business. He's got a website and has done some gorgeous outdoor kitchens. Agave Construction & Landscaping, LLC |

Definitely recommend this business to anyone. We hope to use him again in the future to possibly do a small outdoor kitchen for us.

Tiffany

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,057,281 times
Wow--they've done some nice work!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 AM

And the owner, Jeff, is super nice and great to deal with! He is a little late this morning to finish up, but he called. Seems that he's got a soft spot for animals. He saw a dog laying on the side of the road on his way over here. It turned out to be a female bull mastiff--she was hungry, dehydrated, and appeared to have a broken leg. So he called me to tell me he was running a little late because he was going to take her to a vet.

So he has followed up, stayed on top of the work, called when there have been some delays, and is very compassionate! I would definitely call him again and give him my business.

Tiffany

Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM

85 posts, read 261,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Wow--they've done some nice work!
Those homes pictured were not in San Antonio...more like AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio