Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM

151 posts, read 299,522 times

Advertisements

Well, all I can say is Detroit is ranked a heck of a lot higher in the most dangerous cities to live in than SA is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 28,633 times
Smile Locate to North Central area

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpauley21 View Post
Husband just accepted a transfer to San Antonio from WV. I'm not reading much about anyone saying San Antonio is a great place to live. I have visited the area twice and what I saw, I thought was nice, but I'm having some concerns:

Admittedly, I am a small town girl. Seems like a lot of people are talking about having their cars stolen or vandalized. We looked at a house east of 1604, just south of Military Drive and Sea World. I don't know the name of the neighborhood but during the day, it looked like a nice place to live. Does anyone live in this area?

Also, I'm seriously worried I will never learn to drive there! I currently work as a legal assistant and I'm afraid I will have to drive downtown to find work. Are there any areas better than others as far as traffic congestion is concerned? Are drivers rude or a bit understanding of newbies, lol?
Stay between Loop 410 and Loop 1604 in the central area and in the Northeast Independent School District (NEISD) if you have children. This way you eliminate a lot of the KB home sub-divisions and what we refer to as old Ray Ellison neighborhoods who, for the most part have become run down and crime ridden. Many older sub-divisions near military bases were populated by residents using GI Bill with no money down and no concept of property values. I live in a Sitterle built home and find their neighborhoods to be outstanding.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
I honestly feel vandalism is everywhere throughout the city. Some areas much more active than others obv. My roomates car was burglarized and they took a cd player from his vehicle. We live in Sonoma Ranch. Nothing super nice, but when one's outside, it's a very quiet street and neighborhood in general. So to think there were people messing around his car at night makes me feel uneasy when I park at night on my street.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
Just park your car in the garage. You'll be fine. And get to know your neighbors.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
easier said than done unfortunately.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
I moved from the Detroit suburbs, and yet I am SHOCKED by the property crime I have experienced here. My minivan has been broken into in my own driveway twice. Tons of homes here have been burglarized, even in the middle of the day. We have a home security system that I arm even while I am home. We're a middle class family with nothing really fancy going on, no bells and whistles on our cars or home that would have made me thought we'd be a target. I am never surprised to hear of a break-in here.
Back in Michigan, we could leave the windows open and go for a walk without worry. Forget that here. In my neighborhood in San Antonio, a home was broken into and valuables were taken within ONE HOUR, in broad daylight.
San Antonio isn't a horrible place to live by any means, but I personally will be thrilled when I can return to the Midwest, where my family can feel safe.
I've lived in SA for 20 years, my house has never been robbed. I have no alarm system either and I feel very safe in my neighborhood. Only once was my car broken into when I parked it in the street. Maybe you're not living in a safe neighborhood or you keep things in your car people want to steal. I find it very hard to believe that the detroit suburbs does not have a ton of property crimes. Any big city you live in is going to have crime. As big a city as SA is its really safe for its size.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
EVERY city has advantages and disadvantages.

No city is perfect unless....well, you live in Honolulu, Hawaai

Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,625 times
Default Love it here

I've been here since 1993, and prior to that Los Angeles/San Pedro. I have lived on the NW side (near Tezel and Mainland) the North Central area (NW Military Hwy and Wurzbach) and now, the far the far North Side (Canyon Springs). They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I read many things negative on these boards and I think back to living in LA, and I'll take San Antonio any day. Though the morning traffic is sub-optimal, the schools and neighborhood we are in now make it worth while. Not to mention, the coast being only two hours away, plenty of things for families to do: Amusement/water parks, Fiesta, good Library system, the food scene is getting there slowly. Before Los Angeles, I lived in a really small town in upstate NY and San Antonio mixes the best of both worlds and fits us nicely.
You can DM if you have any specific questions if you would like.
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Thank God I live in the hood where nobody gets robbed

Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
I live in the far northeast side and I leave my back door unlocked most of the time. But then, I have big scary dogs that scares the bejesus out of most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio