Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM

113 posts, read 427,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Little to no crime in Dallas? Think again ... it actually has one of the highest crime rates in the country ... much higher than Victorville or even LA at 753 crimes per 100,000 people.

Even the Dallas Police Chief has acknowledged this.

DALLAS AT THE TIPPING POINT (http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/2004/dallas/crime2.html - broken link)

Just look at the crime stats posted on this board for Dallas and you'll see for yourself. It makes Victorville and LA crime look like nothing.

My point is that if lower income people drive up crime ... the High Desert is still a lot more expensive than places like Texas and Nevada ...

(Las Vegas' crime rate is up a whopping 30 percent just in the last year and their crime rate is also much higher than the High Desert so) ...

With the increase in housing prices .... I just don't see how most people who are moving to the High Desert are low income criminals.
I think you are a little confused where my neighborhood is in dallas county, It like me comparing WATTS or COMPTON and Judging LA county as a whole, Now you know the high desert is full of meth labs and junkies and ill tell you how people are affording those homes, the same way the people who bought my home in CA, 2-3 families in one household, sad to say but thats whats going on now a days, by the way the families who bought my old house have never owned a home before and came from living in LOW income apartments close to my old neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorholic View Post
I think you are a little confused where my neighborhood is in dallas county, It like me comparing WATTS or COMPTON and Judging LA county as a whole, Now you know the high desert is full of meth labs and junkies and ill tell you how people are affording those homes, the same way the people who bought my home in CA, 2-3 families in one household, sad to say but thats whats going on now a days, by the way the families who bought my old house have never owned a home before and came from living in LOW income apartments close to my old neighborhood
People do the same thing where I live in Hesperia ... they tend to throw it in with Victorville and Adelanto ... even though it takes a good 30 minutes for me to drive over there and the crime rate in Hesperia is a lot lower than those other towns.

On the other hand, I'm not going to argue that crime in the neighboring towns doesn't impact Hesperia at all ... it does at least to some extent. I'm just glad that the Hesperia police department has increased their budget and hired more officers to deal with it.

If you notice ... Dallas' police chief mentioned budget cuts as the primary reason crime has increased so much in that city. Even if the crime is concentrated in the worse neighborhoods, it's never a good thing for the police department to the under funded to the point that they can't adequately protect the better neighborhoods also.

As for multiple people buying homes together ... that may be more common in Adelanto because I haven't seen that in my Hesperia neighborhood, even when people were paying $400K for houses. It was all single families.

Maybe it's because out of the four towns ... Hesperia housing prices increased the most ... Adelanto was always the cheapest of the four areas, and still is.

There's no question that Adelanto is the least desirable of the four towns because, even Victorville has some very nice areas at least. On the other hand, Lowe's and all of these major retail chains are starting to build stores in Adelanto so ... you never know ... that area could be improving. If Adelanto is so bad ... I can't imagine why Lowe's, etc. would be investing money there.

To me the biggest problem with Adelanto isn't just the crime but, the fact that the 395 highway has only one lane in most places, which makes it a traffic nightmare.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-10-2007 at 04:00 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 AM

119 posts, read 881,147 times
Some of ways low income people move to Hi Desert(This applies to the Anterlope Valley as well):
Opportunity to rent a home (with or without section 8) renting a fairly new or very good condition home is easer than renting an apartment especially a low income apartment with a waiting list anywhere from 1-2 years in Long Beach/Orange County areas up to 5+ years in LA.

Lack of apartments(luxury, or affordable in the High Desert.

Subprime loans, so-called stated income loans, no income verification and 100% financing allowed many low income people (including minorities) the opportunities to move from the ghetto/barrio to obtain the American dream.

Remember the 1955 Supreme Court ruling eliminating racial rules which all blacks( which I am as well as all races to live where they can afford) to live. Affordability flight has replaced White Flight in California and much of the country.
All people should have the right to live where they can afford to live. But we have a responsibility to maintain the home to the community standard, keep your kids out gangs and out of trouble. And try to be active members of the new communities where they live.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,418 times
What are you talking about I grown up in Los Angeles and I hate Hollywood. I mean sure maybe fifty years it was nice to live their. Victorville is a great place to live compare to LA or Hollywood. The crime rate is low the schools are good . And now is a very good time to buy a house. Any who hates the high desert probably grow up here and they are lucky.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times
Default Living in the High Desert.

I moved to Victorville from San Diego about a year ago. Huge mistake!!! When my lease is up (couple months), I am outta here and hopefully back to SD. If not, even a place like Covina (LA) is way better. The High Desert is horrible. Where are the white people here by the way? Is there some and just not in Victorville?

Bottome line is...

If you love dirt and people who speak only Spanish, you will love the HD.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
Why Victorville? I assume housing prices. Where else have you looked? I agree, a hellish commute to Hollywood. Google Maps says an hour and 40 minutes, and that's not rush hour. I think some people cut over Angeles Crest Highway, but that has its own problems (such as snow in winter). Would Acton, Palmdale, etc., or even out in Riverside, Chino be a shorter commute? I'm guessing housing prices not much worse, but not sure about crime. At least Metrolink commuter trains serve Palmdale/Lancaster (could take you to Union Station in downtown L.A., from where you could take subway or bus to Hollywood). Lots of short sales and foreclosures, so bargains to be found, but be careful. I'd rent first and see how I like it. You say you may move for work-related reasons, and ask about the commute to Hollywood but ask about construction wages in Victoriville. One of you has a job in Hollywood and the other would need to look for work in Victorville? I thought Victorville was overbuilt, so unsure about construction job openings. I'd contact a property management office about rentals and ask them about prices in various areas, and then look further into commuting times, both online and on the ground. I personally wouldn't want to live in Victorville, but there are worse places, and work determines a lot. At least you're fairly close to mountains for hiking and skiing. There's a big outlet mall in Barstow. And it's not a long haul into the San Bernardino and Ontario areas for shopping and "entertainment", at least on weekends.

Last edited by Samoi137; 10-15-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 03:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Um... this thread is 4 years old.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
And the OP is still in Denver, apparently.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM

94 posts, read 204,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
LOL! Victorville to Hollywood commute!!!! Don't even think it.
I did it once a week. From the HD to West Hollywood (Sunset & LaCienega). Not fun!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,291 times
I wouldn't live in Victorville. It's dirty, a lot of crime and little if no jobs. Phelan is a nice community town, lots of open spaces, very little crime that I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties