Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,035 times

Advertisements

We are moving to CA for a job in Costa Mesa and are considering living a little further inland to get a bigger house.

Corona looks affordable. What are the good and bad areas? Our daughter is an infant so school districts are not important at this point.

Anything else you can tell me about living there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Brutal commute to and from OC.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i spent quite a few years growing up in corona, however this was 10+ years ago. having said that, i don't think much has changed. corona became built out while i was in high school and has not stretched much further south in this amount of time. corona suffered pretty badly during the housing bust, but regular homes shouldn't have ever sold for over $500k around there to begin with. anyways, the southern portion of the city isn't really any different than the southern OC inland cities, the commute is just much worse. the northern parts of the city are hit or miss. having gone back once or twice a year for the past 10 years i've noticed that there is definitely more of a hispanic influence in the central parts of the city. i don't think there's really anywhere in corona that is unsafe though. for the most part, corona is a typical socal suburb with mostly newer housing and all the major national chains and big box retailers.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
You might want to question your need for a big house in Corona for several reasons. One, the rush hour commute from Corona to OC is rough; and two, projections are for large SFRs to become dinosaurs in the near future. Three, unemployment is stubborn, so there may be fewer buyers available when it comes time to sale.

Future demand for housing is expected to be weak for the SFR, but strong for multifamily units:

Why the ‘coming housing calamity’ shouldn’t have to be calamitous | Grist

Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Brutal commute to and from OC.
Especially from the new So. Corona developments.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Especially from the new So. Corona developments.
Hey, you can't respond to your own post

Might not be that bad if they use the 91 Fast Lane and 241/261 Toll Roads. I've heard a Corona to Irvine commuter claim they could do it in 30 minutes using the toll roads but they lived pretty close to the 91. I agree about avoiding the southern part or Corona though. IMO the consistently nice areas of Corona are south of Ontario Ave or west of Paseo Grande.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM

455 posts, read 633,048 times
The new area which is referred to as east vale is nice, to make commuting less than unbearable I think fast lane is mandatory, houses are huge at $400k, 3800 sq/ft would be great if job was east instead.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM

256 posts, read 616,973 times
My spouse commutes daily from Norco to Costa Mesa. The only way that drive is tolerable is that he owns a CNG Honda Civic. He can drive in the carpool lane solo (white sticker) and he gets to use the 91 Toll Lane free. Without that car the tolls add up pretty quickly.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
My spouse commutes daily from Norco to Costa Mesa.
Does your spouse take the 241/261 toll roads? I can see it being slow if you take the 55 but the few times I've used the toll roads they make quick work of that drive.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Corona native here.

Please, please, please test-drive the commute for a week before you decide to live in Corona. You'll thank me later. There's a reason why you can get bigger houses for cheaper, and that is it.

The best areas of Corona (for most people) IMO are anywhere not called Home Gardens (an unincorporated area, where I grew up), and a small area east of 6th St/Main. It gets more nouveau ultra-suburban the more south and east you go in Corona, with the commute to OC getting longer going that direction.

The Corona-Norco Unified School District (which covers 95% of anything called Corona) has been grossly overcrowded since the mid 1990s. The schools are generally better than average, however.

Corona has all of the creature comforts of any suburb in the country. If you're down with that, you'll be down with Corona.

Last edited by Count David; 07-14-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties