Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM

182 posts, read 328,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Nope, none of that applies to me. Also almost no one honks their car horns around here. It's kind of like a cultural trait which I have heard several transplants who moved here comment about. It's just considered rude and thus isn't done very often.

Either you don't like in this area or you have some sort of bizarre experience but my personal experience just doesn't jive with your claims.

I totally agree with the lack of car honking here. I mean occasionally I hear a horn but I have witnessed so many stupid things worthy of a car honking and no one honked! It's kind of strange really, just seems like people are generally more lenient with driving here. I've also noticed that people seem to park (or stop) wherever the heck they want here, regardless of it's legally an allowed spot (or if it's blocking the lane,intersection...). I can attest that Colorado has severe road rage in comparison and yet a lot less traffic than here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
I just read in another post where you responded this below to the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Dude, quit whining. If you think your taxes are too high then move. Get out of California. Get out of the United States. Do something other than whining like a spanked baby.

Nothing he wrote in his post (//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ernatives.html ) would call for someone being so rude like this. YOU talk about "rude and nasty" people from Del Mar or Rancho Santa Fe" yet you post this type of response to the OP.

Now I think I understand why people might not have taken a shine to you if this is how you act with people. It just sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder with people that may make a lot of money or have a high net worth.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
ummmmm, you're a loony tune if u think ppl from DelMar are rude and nasty lol.
Ever been to NYC? or anywhere in the northeast? now thats rude and nasty.

Southern Cal pl are laid-back, chill, relaxed people. Never encountered any problems at all. I feel as if your statement is grossly inaccurate and it makes me question your observation skills.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Southern Cal pl are laid-back, chill, relaxed people. Never encountered any problems at all. I feel as if your statement is grossly inaccurate and it makes me question your observation skills.
+1. Exactly!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Wow. I guess RobSac had some bad experiences in Southern California. Maybe he got dumped, maybe there are people he doesn't like from there. Maybe he went there already with preconceived notions about the region. I don't know. Its clear he has some grudge against it.

I've been here for over a year now, and I have come to the conclusion that within the greater LA area I have only seen the self-absorbed "see and be seen culture" in only a few places:

Hollywood/West Hollywood (entertainment industry)
The more busier, more congested pockets of West LA
New money Calabasas
The busier, congested pockets of South Orange County

That's it. In those areas you can come across a self-absorbed-ness that you don't find elsewhere so much.

Stay away from the entertainment industry, stay away from the see and be seen crowd places and you will do well to see what greater LA has to offer.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:

Yeah, I don't care for big city culture east of the Mississippi. What people think of as refreshingly direct, tell it like it is, way of talking just sounds ignorant to me. I do however, like all of California, and think the rivalry between SF and LA is silly, and the differences are overblown. I actually like them both equally.

The difference between LA and SF in terms of people as I have seen, is that in LA you have narcissistic individuals due to or associated with the entertainment industry, but people are for the most part humble and even critical of their city/region.

In SF, you don't have so much the narcissistic individuals so much, because you don't have that industry, but you do have people that are little too much in love with their city, and think that they and their fellow San Franciscans are more green, more progressive, etc. than anyone else in the country.

If you just laugh it off, you will do well in either place.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSac View Post
But just about everyone else in Southern Cal is either there to be noticed or there to capitalize on them, and most people who fit this lifestyle are extremely self involved and lack basic manners, because of course such values don't matter to them. Their goal is to stand out, not co-exist.
Generalize much? I personally don't mind generalizations as I do it myself but I do try to make sure my generalizations are broadly accurate even if it does offend some people. That said, you claims are so wide of the mark as to be uncreditable. Have a nice day, dude.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:

Which is exactly my take as well. Isn't it curious how the people with actual extensive experience with the place disagree with the guy who once spent one afternoon in the place and then decides to post a diatribe full of nonsense?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Which is exactly my take as well. Isn't it curious how the people with actual extensive experience with the place disagree with the guy who once spent one afternoon in the place and then decides to post a diatribe full of nonsense?
Think4Yourself, its because everyone that posts here and live in SD are millionaires! And of course, millionaires, by default are rude and nasty....the internet said so. It must be true!

All kidding aside, this thread is pretty silly. Sure there are the one or two folks that have a bad day, but man that 1-2day experience equating to an entire region of peeps is a stretch. But then again, I guess the OP was thinking that in a large metro area, folks passing by that dont say hi and ask how you are is considered rude.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Laid back and chill? LOL. That was So Cal in the 60's and 70's. Then we had a population explosion led by the Asian Invasion (culturally responsible for much of the rudeness today imo), the Hispanic worker migration and the weather seeking wealthy from across the nation
Racist much?

In one sentence, you have managed to slam the two fastest growing populations.

Oh, and Asians and Latinos have been in California for hundreds of years.

I'd say it's time for you to head back to whatever part of flyover country you call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego