Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Do concealed weapon laws result in less crime? - The Washington Post

A great article which deals with the facts and covers actual scholarly work. No, CCW do not reduce crime rates. That's the actual facts of the research to date. The claim even got rated three pinocchios for being such an outrageous lie. Here's another fact, Missouri did indeed see a rise in murders following the change in laws, there were indeed bar shootouts, and that was while states around it which didn't change their laws saw a drop and while the nation as a whole saw a drop.

Like I said, I'm not willing to radically change our successful forumula just to appease rabid gun nuts who can't even show they have a need to carry a concealed weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Yeah, your "responses" were to randomly babble something about police brutality in a completely off topic manner, then when asked to clarify why you suddenly made an unfounded claim about police brutality for no apparent reason, you then claimed people who didn't understand your incoherent ramblings were stupid.

Yep, that about sums it up. I'll just say you're not the brightest tool in the shed and leave it at that.
So now it's my fault that you can't put what I said together? Interesting way of thinking. Well if it makes you feel smarter and better about yourself to try and degrade me due to your inability to think then so be it.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:

A great article which deals with the facts and covers actual scholarly work. No, CCW do not reduce crime rates. That's the actual facts of the research to date. The claim even got rated three pinocchios for being such an outrageous lie. Here's another fact, Missouri did indeed see a rise in murders following the change in laws, there were indeed bar shootouts, and that was while states around it which didn't change their laws saw a drop and while the nation as a whole saw a drop.

Like I said, I'm not willing to radically change our successful forumula just to appease rabid gun nuts who can't even show they have a need to carry a concealed weapon.
That doesn't prove or provide any facts. There is a big difference between a need and a right to bear arms. I personally don't agree with carrying in a bar but that is up to the business owners. I also believe in the Constitution and people's rights no matter what it be.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/c...view%2C%20V%22

A study by Yale which finds concealed carry does not reduce crime. So not only are you trying to solve a problem which almost doesn't exist but your proposed cure won't even do what you claim it will do. No, thank you, our current laws work fine.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/c...view%2C%20V%22

A study by Yale which finds concealed carry does not reduce crime. So not only are you trying to solve a problem which almost doesn't exist but your proposed cure won't even do what you claim it will do. No, thank you, our current laws work fine.

Really? Lol do you even know what year that was conducted in? Please when you know what you are talking about , have facts, and up to date information then get back to me but until then , you lose.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Think4yourself..... I am foaming at the mouth for your response.... Or do you not have one? Please refer to post #83.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:

By who? Where is your source for that? VA allowed people to carry in bars and saw a drop in crime (Gun crimes drop at Virginia bars and restaurants - Archive - TimesDispatch.com). Your study also concluded that right to carry laws did not increase crime either so it's fair game, but there is crime beyond firearms as well.

Still, El Paso, TX is the top spot for the safest city above 500,000, not San Diego. The state of Texas allows concealed carry (not open carry mind you). Concealed carry folks permits aren't the ones committing the crimes, especially gun crimes.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I filed so I am in line and waiting. Let's see how it unfolds.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:

Here's the thing, 2nd Amendment supporters by and large don't come from a place of "well our policies might be the most effective." They come from a place of the right to bear arms is an absolute right enshrined in the U.S. Constitution via the Bill of Rights. They do not believe one should have to "show need" in order to exercise their rights in the same way no one would have to "show need" to practice their religion or exercise their free speech.

This debate will never end because you look at the issue from a pragmatic stand point whereas 2nd Amendment supporters don't necessarily. I'm not taking a side on the issue, I do tend to believe in gun rights, just pointing out an observation.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Here's the thing, 2nd Amendment supporters by and large don't come from a place of "well our policies might be the most effective." They come from a place of the right to bear arms is an absolute right enshrined in the U.S. Constitution via the Bill of Rights. They do not believe one should have to "show need" in order to exercise their rights in the same way no one would have to "show need" to practice their religion or exercise their free speech.

This debate will never end because you look at the issue from a pragmatic stand point whereas 2nd Amendment supporters don't necessarily. I'm not taking a side on the issue, I do tend to believe in gun rights, just pointing out an observation.
You are spot on. I vote most intelligent post in this thread

I am 100% for concealed carry except in a bar and/or under the influence. As for showing need, you shouldn't have too. It is a given right as a law abiding American citizen period. If you don't like it, move to Canada or the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego