Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
What about the videos of Downtown Disney and Irvine Spectrum?
You can find them on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
You can find them on YouTube.
Two places that make Orange County so special

Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Two places that make Orange County so special
That's your opinion. Is there a point that you are trying to make?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As much as OCers deny it OC is LA burbs.

Similar to how people up here who live in the South Bay try to act like they are not part of the mainstream Bay Area.
I say you are wrong. Two different crowds.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
While they can be pretty similar overall I definitely think there are enough differences that people could strongly prefer one over the other. To me OC has a slightly difference vibe and a larger percentage of people who kind of represent the negative SoCal stereotypes more so than SD. Also it doesn't feel like its own metro area as it's not, it's a suburban county while SD is a complete metro area with well defined core. That decentralized sprawly nature of OC can be a turn off to a lot of people.
LA itself is barely centralized, if at all. San Diego centralized? Maybe only you can believe that. The point is that SoCal - the thing -- is not centralized. Who cares? And anyway, you live in the sprawling East Bay region and you preach on centralization?

Now let's see. For me, it is 1 hr to the West Side or 1 hour to downtown SD; now that's centralization (and both assume avoiding traffic). And yes, I have full train access to both places too.

I think with some posters here, the dislike of OC stems from the fact that OC has blondes (whether natural or bottle-assisted). OC is therefore too much of a throwback to old SoCal and this angers many posters.
After all, what other stereotypical SoCal behaviors (air headed, surfer talk, shallowness etc.) are not found in equal measure in San Diego County? Simple demographics anger some.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
That's your opinion. Is there a point that you are trying to make?
Some posters live in a fantasy world with regard to how OC is. Their views are based on visiting a tot lot in Ladera Ranch in 2012.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
they really aren't--2 different mindsets and 2 different lifestyles.....that's why the terms "Orange Curtain" and "great white flight" were initially coined and/or applicable. OC is much closer mentally to SD than it is LA and, both, OC and SD share a dislike for LA. I state that as someone who lived in OC for 17 years. Then again, I suppose it also matters whether you are talking North OC v. South OC.
Both Elchevere and BayAreahillbilly are correct. OC was a suburb of LA and in many respects remains in its orbit (LAX, LA museums, etc.). I do not see that as a bad thing. However, as Elchevere correctly pointed out, OC was carved from LA and fashioned itself the anti-LA. This was due to the then extremely conservative nature of the county. Many older OC people view SD favorably and see LA as nothing more than a place to get a good paying job, but flee with your family for safe and new bedroom communities. OC has since undergone profound changes. Some are demographic, and others clearly cultural. For example, young people in OC usually end up living in LA once they come of age. That is a strange relationship with considering the "white flight" past of decades ago. OC is no longer John Birch Society territory.

OC is also booming and has become a job center with many more Angelenos, San Diegans, and IEers commuting in to our jobs, than the reverse. OC is also growing very dense and expensive. Culturally, the county has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years, yet we still have our fair share of political nutters. OC also functions increasingly as a metro area on its own, and thus, if anything, it has developed into a metro region.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 01-06-2016 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Some posters live in a fantasy world with regard to how OC is. Their views are based on visiting a tot lot in Ladera Ranch in 2012.
I agree. I also think that some lose sight of the fact that these many of these posts are actually made to help benefit the OP in her decision making.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Not witnessed the us vs them when I lived in the Bay Area--more of a Bay Area metro (other than some looking down on portions of East Bay, not sure I would call it hatred and seemingly all united in its dislike of SoCal like upstate NY (rural) v downstate (metro)...Deerfield, Lake Forest, Naperville, Oak Brook etc (thought I named these earlier--have not witnessed and I've been visiting Chicago on business at least 4x year for 15 years; I already discussed and acknowledged Florida--Ft Lauderdale is part of Broward County and Miami is part of Dade County; been going to Texas 3-4x year for the past 30 years and have not picked up on hatred in Dallas other than v traffic and v Houston.... NY /NJ/CT ??...not certain--many from NJ commute and work and play in NY; some /many from NY vacation in Jersey Shore, Atlantic City, Jets/Giants games, no rivalry between Long Island and Connecticut, etc etc--more of a rivalry as one gets closer to MA or eastern half of CT but then that's getting out of the NY metro area and almost 2 states away....you got me on DC/Baltimore and Minneapolis, maybe--not familiar with those areas so I cannot comment from experience and I do not comment via third party.

Quote:
What about the NY vs. Jersey thing that all of the late night talk show hosts bring up? There's also the East Bay and San Jose attitude towards SF. Wealthy Lake County vs. Chicago. A good friend of mine is from Baltimore and he hates DC. Ft. Lauderdale separates themselves from Miami. Minneapolis vs. St. Paul, Dallas vs. Ft. Worth. Not really a warm weather thing, after all.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-06-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I think some of the hatred towards OC stems from the fact you have some exceptionally wealthy areas and a noticeable number of people go out of their way to let you know how great they are (or, in many cases, how great they think they are....see posers and gold diggers at Fashion Island or in Corona del Mar). It's usually the wannabes who go out of their way to try and impress and some affluent areas of OC attract these annoying types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego