Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times

Advertisements

Agreed...not all go on a daily, weekly or monthly basis....some do and some don't. As we have seen from the OP who lives in San Jose it is not a regular option due to distance and traffic; however, someone who lives in Southern Marin short drive, ferry) or Oakland/East Bay (BART) could easily go in once a week, or more--I did when I lived there....restaurants, bars, music venues, Giants games, etc. are worth it. Driving an hour or more in traffic?--less worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
SF is a global world city with major financial and commercial institutions, thousands of high paying jobs, home of global embassies and government institutions, a major port, rail and air infrastructure, a vibrant and world-renowned cultural, social scene and some of the most desired real estate in the world. The center of all that is San Francisco. San Diego's urban core is none of these things.

Let me ask it in a different way - if you sunk SF into the sea, what is the identity of the bay area? Tech companies and hippies? No golden gate? No trolley cars? no painted ladies?????

If Downtown SD got flooded with El Nino, the effect on SD's identity would be what exectly? We'd all say "duuude that sucked!!"
SF doesn't have a port, Oakland does FYI.

Now you have completely strayed away from the topic and function of urban core/downtown to all this stuff about Global city status and what not and I have no idea why or what that has to do with the discussion that was going on.

And now you're delving into the details that make them different when before you were over simplifying everything with basic functions with respect to downtown's/urban cores. Lets try to stick with one or the other or else this is a never ending conversation.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
It's like growing up on NY, you live 45 minutes+ out you go 2x a year and it becomes this faraway place even though it's 30 miles away. San Diego it feels like if something is 45 minutes away you're making good time.

Hey Sav858, no offense but I said that Long beach was to downtown SD and you seem to have a response to that, but my point, if you want tall buildings and old stuff, its there, if you want shopping and entertainment it's there, if you want ethnic diversity, beach, office tower, high density it's all there, it's just older / newer/ looks different, but there is no difference, SD, OC, LA it's really all very much the same to me, that's my old guy 20 years of driving all over SoCal view, it's one big mush and most of the differences are made up by people looking for some reason to find a difference.

I guess I'm confused as to f what you are trying to argue about.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Agreed...not all go on a daily, weekly or monthly basis....some do and some don't. As we have seen from the OP who lives in San Jose it is not a regular option due to distance and traffic; however, someone who lives in Southern Marin short drive, ferry) or Oakland/East Bay (BART) could easily go in once a week, or more--I did when I lived there....restaurants, bars, music venues, Giants games, etc. are worth it. Driving an hour or more in traffic?--less worth it.
Just as people who live closer to Downtown SD go more often in my experience.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 PM

No, I used to take the LIRR so I did not have to worry about drinking and driving....probably went between once a month and every other month, when I lived about 40-45 minutes outside Manhattan. Depends what was going on--sporting event, concert, show, resto or drinking with friends that drove my decision.

Quote:
It's like growing up on NY, you live 45 minutes+ out you go 2x a year and it becomes this faraway place even though it's 30 miles away. San Diego it feels like if something is 45 minutes away you're making good time.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As much as OCers deny it OC is LA burbs.

Similar to how people up here who live in the South Bay try to act like they are not part of the mainstream Bay Area.
Really? I never knew people in the South Bay denied they were part of the mainstream Bay Area.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Hey Sav858, no offense but I said that Long beach was to downtown SD and you seem to have a response to that, but my point, if you want tall buildings and old stuff, its there, if you want shopping and entertainment it's there, if you want ethnic diversity, beach, office tower, high density it's all there, it's just older / newer/ looks different, but there is no difference, SD, OC, LA it's really all very much the same to me, that's my old guy 20 years of driving all over SoCal view, it's one big mush and most of the differences are made up by people looking for some reason to find a difference.

I guess I'm confused as to f what you are trying to argue about.
Yeah it's there but imo its not being used by people from OC like Downtown SD is to it's respective metro. You over simplified everything and if you think it's all the same that's fine but there are plenty of people that do see and feel the differences between these areas. The reason being because there are actual differences even if they are too subtle for your personal liking.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
For OC, their "downtown" is Irvine Spectrum and disneyland.
Um, not really. I'm not sure why people outside of OC have this impression. The Irvine Spectrum and Disneyland? No, no, no, no, no!

There is no downtown for OC, but Santa Ana is the County Seat.

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...does-even.html

Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No one I know ever goes downtown except me because I work there. My friends in North Park, South Park and Golden Hill never go. But I am 40, my scene is older, we all have houses, kids and go to and balboa park and MTRP and cardiff and the desert. You are probably right that the current crop 25 year old kids renting apartments in North Park like to go downtown but the problem is they all move to the bay area after 2 years so they don't count. Sav I'm sure there are differences but to your point they are too subtle to me. SF to SD is a big diff but SD / OC / LA/ IE it's all one big region to me, pros and cons all over. And the big con for LA is the traffic, it sucks. And I am going to be daring and say South OC traffic is easier to deal with than SD County. Yes I said it.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:36 PM

I'm questioning how often I would go to downtown SD if I did not live here, even if I was within a 20 minute drive...I'm not a Padre fan. The restaurant scene, though it has gotten better in recent years, does not exactly have my toes curling and lighting up a cigar afterwards--add $15 or $20 to park and I would eat elsewhere in the San Diego area without missing anything I couldn't find elsewhere. Horton Plaza is nada de particular and the downtown movie theatres are rumored to have bed bugs. I certainly would not come down for touristy things such as parades, Seaport Village, or The Midway....I'm too old for clubs and don't enjoy hanging out with the 22 year olds still working on their GEDs who frequent the Gaslamp...I'm having a hard time thinking why and how often I would come downtown if I did not live here....living here is a little bit different in that most places are walkable and I fly fairly frequently so the proximity to the airport is a bonus...maybe Balboa Park would attract me every couple of months....help me out here, someone, please....now, if I lived in the Bay area and in Marin or East Bay I would definitely go into SF at least twice a month, maybe more....when I lived in OC, I went up to "deep" LA at least a couple of times each month (probably 6-8 times if you include Long Beach)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego