Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah. I should have probably said "urban core" rather than "downtown".
I still think, unfortunately, those areas are just catering to people who live mostly within the immediate area. The popluation of that part of central SD has gotten wealthier but hasn't grown. Housing is expensive and they aren't building any more. Aside from date night few from north of 52 or south of 54 is going to North Park for dinner, and at this point that's the majority of the county. SD isn't really growing anymore so what's happened in the past 5+ years is the old school local stuff in the neighborhoods has upscaled a lot, now you have craft breweries and artisinal farm-to-table in stripmalls everywhere, heck can go to a stripmall in El Cajon and get a vegan meal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As much as OCers deny it OC is LA burbs.

Similar to how people up here who live in the South Bay try to act like they are not part of the mainstream Bay Area.
Yes, OC is tied into LA's various markets, financial, etc., but it's not a passive burb of LA.

There is a strong economy here.
Orange County job growth to pick up this year, forecast says - LA Times
The Orange County economy is ramping up to beat the nation and the state in the job growth race this year.
California's third most populous county should add nearly 47,000 jobs in 2015, a 3.1% increase that would be the strongest in 15 years, according to a report released Wednesday by the A. Gary Anderson Center for Economic Research at Chapman University.

Irvine has a lot of tech jobs, and even tiny Aliso Viejo (pop. 50K) is making a mark:
Aliso Viejo is a hotbed of entrepreneurship among Southern California cities, study finds - The Orange County Register
SouthOrangeCounty’s Aliso Viejo is a hotbed of successful entrepreneurship compared with other Southern California cities, according to a study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management.

Aliso Viejo ranked higher in entrepreneurial quality – measured by the likelihood of launching a successful IPO or being acquired – than 121 other cities in the Greater Los Angeles area and 18 in the San Diego area, according to the MIT paper, which examined startup ventures across California.

What's more, Anaheim and Santa Ana are major job centers.

I don't have the figures, but my guess is that most OCers work, and spend most of their leisure time right here in Orange County, not LA. It's not due to any LA hatred, or anything ridiculous like that either.

There is just a lot going on here.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
OC is a standalone economic region, I could probably do all my business and never set foot in LA county if I had to. Bigger corps still tend to be in LA, but there is so much in OC and it's so much easier to get in/out of.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
Also I think there are just as many commuters who going from LA to OC as OC to LA (counties).

Old 01-07-2016, 12:07 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I still think, unfortunately, those areas are just catering to people who live mostly within the immediate area. The popluation of that part of central SD has gotten wealthier but hasn't grown. Housing is expensive and they aren't building any more. Aside from date night few from north of 52 or south of 54 is going to North Park for dinner, and at this point that's the majority of the county. SD isn't really growing anymore so what's happened in the past 5+ years is the old school local stuff in the neighborhoods has upscaled a lot, now you have craft breweries and artisinal farm-to-table in stripmalls everywhere, heck can go to a stripmall in El Cajon and get a vegan meal now.
That sentence kind of reminds me of how suburban Bay Area treats SF. There are so many local "downtowns" to eat or stroll around in. Plus the bridge makes going to SF a PIA for a lot of people. While the scale and intensity of SF is much greater than the urban core of SD, it's not enough to change this fundamental relationship between city and suburb.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
There is the option of BART, Caltran and ferry for some/many East Bay, South Bay, and North Bay residents. The closer you live to SF the more often you will be likely to go. Traffic and parking will always be an issue.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-07-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 AM

686 posts, read 1,138,640 times
I actually think downtown San Diego is the second most urban environment in the state after San Francisco. Downtown LA is getting there but has massive problems, almost no green space, depressing setting with skid row nearby, not on the ocean or bay etc.

Downtown San Diego has residential development, a few minutes walk from balboa park, the bay, several grocery stores, pharmacies as well as the restaurants and bars that folks refer to. This can provide a walkable lifestyle and the San Diego downtown offers much more than San Jose, Sacramento, Oakland, and Long Beach.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah it's there but imo its not being used by people from OC like Downtown SD is to it's respective metro. You over simplified everything and if you think it's all the same that's fine but there are plenty of people that do see and feel the differences between these areas. The reason being because there are actual differences even if they are too subtle for your personal liking.
In your opinion? Really, your basing your statement on what you think 3 million people do, with nothing more than your opinion? You really are not in tune with OC. You never mentioned Santa Ana, our redevelopment city center which is full of hipsters. You never mentioned Anaheim which is urbanizing like crazy. You also seem oblivious to the fact that so many OC cities are working on their respective downtowns. In the case of my own town, we are actually building a downtown.

As for LBC, suffice it to say is close and gets plenty of OC love from those looking to party. We just prefer to live in areas with far lower crime. We hope that's ok with you.

As for discussions on downtowns, we have plenty in OC and I'm in them a lot. Say hi sometime. Gorgeous and quirky San Clemente, boaty downtown Dana Point (which isb under huge construction) and artsy/hip Laguna Beach is where you generally find me. These downtowns, especially Laguna, get millions of visitors so the people watching is great. It's also very close to home. But of course, I also go to LA (LBC or Pasadena, "downtown Santa Monica" and "downtown Beverly and W. Hollywood," but never downtown LA) sometimes, San Diego proper. (I won't mention that I'm in SD County frequently.)

Update: I do indeed go to LA downtown...I remember recently goint to MOCA, The Broad and LA Live...Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 01-07-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Also I think there are just as many commuters who going from LA to OC as OC to LA (counties).
The reverse is true. Source please.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
There is the option of BART, Caltran and ferry for some/many East Bay, South Bay, and North Bay residents. The closer you live to SF the more often you will be likely to go. Traffic and parking will always be an issue.
For a date night or whatever, only BART is convenient. Caltrain runs only hourly service outside of peak hours/on weekends and the ferry is even worse. Then of course there is actually getting to your destination within SF once you arrive. Marina, North Beach, etc..are not near BART, Caltrain, or the ferry (well NB is near the ferry kind of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego