Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

We were talking about this the other day and someone asked, who has a home security system. A co-worker pointed out that only 2 out of all of us even own an actual SFH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As long as we keep having idiot wealthy people buying tiny old homes for half a million dollars or more, things will never change, no matter how horrible the economy gets.
To a certain extent. The last credit meltdown vis a vis housing/credit finance lack of oversight, sure didnt see people snatching up homes in abundance at a half mil in a neighborhood like I bought in.

I am glad I sold my tiny old home for a half million in October in Ghetto Grove after 7 years (as you like to call it.)

1. You would never buy one there even if you had the money
2. The person that bought my house certainly wasn't wealthy nor an idiot. He just figured out how to work the system and "move up" from Spring Valley. The dude was born and raised in LG.

Your perception of value is just different. The guy that bought my house is just as much of an SDLifer from the 619 as yourself, he just seemed to figure our how it all worked and made it happen. Different priorities and different strokes for different folks.

But you know that already. Which is why number 1 from above will never apply to you and there is nothing wrong with that just like there is nothing wrong with people exercising their freedom of choice with the almighty borrowed Benjamin.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I wish I could be amazed at the number of people who think/say, "Your house is worth $X? You're rich! You didn't work for that! You need to pay more! You're hoarding badly-needed money from the poor and the sick and the elderly and the children! It isn't fair that you aren't paying the same as someone who's paying more (as long as we aren't talking about income taxes, of course)!"
Yeah well there is logic in having contempt for people who buy a house and see its value increase 20-30x in about as many years and gloat about it. They are the people who support the policies that create the housing shortage. They engage in NIMBYist activism, blocking building projects in their area, complaining it would impact their "quality of life" with increased traffic etc. The underlying philosophy being "I got mine, now keep everyone else away from me". They are unconcerned about housing shortages because solving that "problem" would hurt their personal financial portfolio.
If I owned a nice home hers perhaps my opinion would be different. Just sayin there is another side.
In SoCal I think a lot of our housing woes are partly a result of the failed immigration policies of the last 30+ years but its not very popular to promote the MAGA platform so...

Old 01-25-2018, 06:14 PM

The only thing that could bring prices down would be a good old fashioned natural disaster. Like an EARTHQUAKE. Scare away all the californy newbies.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:21 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
To a certain extent. The last credit meltdown vis a vis housing/credit finance lack of oversight, sure didnt see people snatching up homes in abundance at a half mil in a neighborhood like I bought in.

I am glad I sold my tiny old home for a half million in October in Ghetto Grove after 7 years (as you like to call it.)

1. You would never buy one there even if you had the money
2. The person that bought my house certainly wasn't wealthy nor an idiot. He just figured out how to work the system and "move up" from Spring Valley. The dude was born and raised in LG.

Your perception of value is just different. The guy that bought my house is just as much of an SDLifer from the 619 as yourself, he just seemed to figure our how it all worked and made it happen. Different priorities and different strokes for different folks.

But you know that already. Which is why number 1 from above will never apply to you and there is nothing wrong with that just like there is nothing wrong with people exercising their freedom of choice with the almighty borrowed Benjamin.

Agreed. My sense of value is different as you can tell. I just don't see how one is willing to fork out such mass amounts of money for houses that are not only small but still need work, are really old, for close to a million dollars. Each to their own.

Growing up here, and knowing how affordable San Diego used to be for everyone, not just for the upper classes, is depressing to me personally since I've seen so much change in the last 15 years all over SD County, that it's painful to know most of my closest friends, and acquaintances have moved out of SD, or are planning to.

The almighty dollar doesn't go far in SD, and with the thousands upon thousands of Californians moving out of state every year, I simply don't think it's worth it paying so much money for the homes here when you can buy 2 homes for the price of one in another close by state.

But that's just me. As a CA native, I'm not impressed by San Diego anymore. It feels like any other place to me.

On the other hand, someone visiting from out of town will fall in love and want to move here in a heartbeat if they can afford to, and will do everything in their power to move to SD. These are the people that act like SD is paradise, when I'm just "Meh".

Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
The only thing that could bring prices down would be a good old fashioned natural disaster. Like an EARTHQUAKE. Scare away all the californy newbies.
Yup!!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is the direction the whole Country is headed in. A shrinking Middle Class and an expanding poor and upper Middle Class and Rich. You can either get a very good paying Job, start a successful business, have bought long ago and can afford the COL or ..... you can't afford to buy in a popular area. The Middle Class jobs, that moved many people from poor to middle class are mostly gone overseas so the business can make more money, with no production employees.

Is there a way to honestly fix this? Personally, I'm not sure how the Middle class and poor can get back on an even playing field.

The U.S. can't only rely on everyone working in tech, service, retail, healthcare and financial sectors and expect the economy to sustain itself without a more diversification in manufacturing and other industries.

All it takes is war with China, or for them to somehow implement some sort of embargo and freeze trade, watch our economy tank, and everyone rioting because they can't buy anything since all the goods we get in this country is made in China stops being shipped here.

China has us by the balls and can twist and turn them until we cave in. This is what happens when corporations become greedy and has to rely on slave labor, the risk is high.

Now with automation becoming more of reality, what jobs will be left for humans to do in the next 10-20 years as everything will be run by robots or a kiosk machine?

Old 01-25-2018, 06:50 PM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Agreed. My sense of value is different as you can tell. I just don't see how one is willing to fork out such mass amounts of money for houses that are not only small but still need work, are really old, for close to a million dollars. Each to their own.

Growing up here, and knowing how affordable San Diego used to be for everyone, not just for the upper classes, is depressing to me personally since I've seen so much change in the last 15 years all over SD County, that it's painful to know most of my closest friends, and acquaintances have moved out of SD, or are planning to.

The almighty dollar doesn't go far in SD, and with the thousands upon thousands of Californians moving out of state every year, I simply don't think it's worth it paying so much money for the homes here when you can buy 2 homes for the price of one in another close by state.

But that's just me. As a CA native, I'm not impressed by San Diego anymore. It feels like any other place to me.

On the other hand, someone visiting from out of town will fall in love and want to move here in a heartbeat if they can afford to, and will do everything in their power to move to SD. These are the people that act like SD is paradise, when I'm just "Meh".
This is true at almost every level of socioeconomic status. There are more people in the world who would consider clean, running water a luxury from heaven than who wouldn't. Three quarters or more of all living humans make do on less than $10/day. It's all a matter of perspective and most of us are more rooted in our experience than we realize.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
This is true at almost every level of socioeconomic status. There are more people in the world who would consider clean, running water a luxury from heaven than who wouldn't. Three quarters or more of all living humans make do on less than $10/day. It's all a matter of perspective and most of us are more rooted in our experience than we realize.
You are trying to tell people who saw previous generations have opportunities like owning a home with simple hard work etc, and were on that path themselves, to appreciate being booted out on the street because they have running water?
Most of these societies you speak of- example, nearly everywhere on the African continent, exist in their standard of living because of superstition, corruption, etc. You hear stories about women in Africa giving birth to a dozen babies and half dying by age 5 from AIDS or more common diseases or just starvation. The UN tries to give them birth control but they refuse because their religions or customs forbid it. (Ahem and so does the Catholic church do this to latin america)
So maybe you didnt mean it this way but I cannot be too concerned about the status of billions of really stupid people in the world.
We do it a little better here or at least we used to. We dont poop in our rivers and lakes. We dont thank God for it when we get clean water. Thats why most of those places have no potable water. That and warlords and outright stupidity.
Did you see a story in the Reader a few years ago about a somali or ethiopian immigrant who came here and became a millionaire with his own cab company? He bought a drilling truck and hired a crew and sent it to his home country to go around drilling wells for fresh water for FREE.
Had to abandon it after a couple of months. Every day the crew was held up at gunpoint and their equipment stripped and sold for pennies. Even though they were doing such a good thing.
Just senseless.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:50 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
You proved my point better than I could have. If a older immigrant can become a millionaire here, then why can't the person who was "booted out on the street" also become a millionaire? Especially since, presumably, the latter had a lot more advantages than the former? No one can choose their parents or where they're born. Unless you're 1 in about 4 billion, there's someone smarter/richer than you and there's someone dumber/poorer than you. It's human nature to look down on those "below" and attribute their station in life to character/moral/etc faults of their own and often to attribute those "above" you to luck, or greed. Couldn't the same logic applied to a typical poor African country resident by you be applied by a deca-millionaire San Diego entrepreneur to you? And if you happen to be a deca-millionaire, isn't there a billionaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You are trying to tell people who saw previous generations have opportunities like owning a home with simple hard work etc, and were on that path themselves, to appreciate being booted out on the street because they have running water?
Most of these societies you speak of- example, nearly everywhere on the African continent, exist in their standard of living because of superstition, corruption, etc. You hear stories about women in Africa giving birth to a dozen babies and half dying by age 5 from AIDS or more common diseases or just starvation. The UN tries to give them birth control but they refuse because their religions or customs forbid it. (Ahem and so does the Catholic church do this to latin america)
So maybe you didnt mean it this way but I cannot be too concerned about the status of billions of really stupid people in the world.
We do it a little better here or at least we used to. We dont poop in our rivers and lakes. We dont thank God for it when we get clean water. Thats why most of those places have no potable water. That and warlords and outright stupidity.
Did you see a story in the Reader a few years ago about a somali or ethiopian immigrant who came here and became a millionaire with his own cab company? He bought a drilling truck and hired a crew and sent it to his home country to go around drilling wells for fresh water for FREE.
Had to abandon it after a couple of months. Every day the crew was held up at gunpoint and their equipment stripped and sold for pennies. Even though they were doing such a good thing.
Just senseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego