Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 01:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I say Too-May-Toe. You say Too-Mah-Toe. No big deal. I was really surprised at the number of customers who still wore masks without a requirement. I wore a mask. Even my neighbors ask me why I'm wearing a mask. Old habits are hard to break. I still chew gum after I quit smoking 30 years ago.

The old-timer Costco employees told me they still need to wear masks. Employees see no end to wearing masks. In the food court, almost everyone wore a mask. That's before they got their hot dog of course.
Those are known as Price Club employees, especially at Morena, lol.

I get you could make an argument for splitting hairs on 20% or so on a few hundred people, but my point was way more than 1 in 10 people in there today were not wearing a mask. Heck, three weeks ago or so when I was last there I’d even argue it wasn’t 90% wearing them?

Whether it be Costco, Albertson’s, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc, etc, etc, I haven’t seen an employee or customer say anything in a good month (or more) to anyone not wearing a mask indoor after they pass the person/sign at the front saying to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 02:05 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Those are known as Price Club employees, especially at Morena, lol.
Price Club rules. Unions rule.

I'm busy looking for a new dog groomer tonite. I pay top dollar for a dog groomer to come to our house. They must be vaxxed or wear a mask.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If you are vaccinated and therefore immune it would be extremely unlikely for you to catch, develop, or spread covid19. You can safely bring anyone into your home. You can go anywhere and not spread the disease. It’s wonderful and proven.

That said, it’s always a numbers game. So if you have a one in a thousand chance of a slow immune reaction and are in a very crowded venue with lots of antivaxxers you might feel better wearing a mask even when you are vaccinated. Or if you have cancer and all the biological craziness that temporarily entails you might feel better keeping your mask around antivaxers while science discovers if that helps.

Otherwise enjoy your newly earned freedom to not catch the disease, to not spread it since you aren’t growing viruses, and to have an immune system that destroys completely any virus from a nonvaccinated person whose air you happen to share.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:53 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Good point. It's coming from both directions.

Yeah, that's a weird one but not surprising all things considered.
I predict people will just naturally begin to relax on the issue altogether as long as cases continue to dwindle and we don't see any signs of a new surge. Eventually things will look completely normal again if progress keeps up.

I haven't been out much the last few weeks because of work so I don't know how the big box type stores are handling today's changes. Are places like HD, Costco or WalMart instituting nationwide policies or is it going to be store to store based on individual management?
The stores have a national policy. They changed when the CDC announced their new recommendations. The stores said they would go by the CDC except where state laws were different.

The policies started yesterday were already in effect in other states.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Add Ace Hardware to the freedom list.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:25 AM

321 posts, read 540,944 times
The Safari/Wild Animal Park yesterday had about 5% guests wearing masks. Entering the parking lot is back to normal--no more traffic redirection to the health check stations. Got there too late to notice if shows are running again, but the carousel and Africa tram are running.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:59 AM

144 posts, read 128,314 times
This is interesting to me since I'm here in the San Diego area (arrived yesterday on Day 1) from Ohio and we've been in a relaxed posture for some weeks now. I work for a CA based company and I used to fly in regularly before COVID, so i probably pay more attention to what's going on in CA more than OH.

I was wondering what I would encounter yesterday out in public, based on how it went in the Cleveland area.

I'm staying at a hotel in Rancho Bernardo (convenient travel agent rates) and the hotel is requiring masks in the lobby/public areas. There was one couple (I don't know if they were married, could've been an older mother and her son) complaining to the employee that "You know they abolished these today?!?! (pointing at his mask)". His companion wouldn't put one on, but she seemed a little...um..well..if I saw her on a billboard advertising a new show based on conspiracy theories, it wouldn't shock me. They both came across as just wanting to argue and cause a problem, for no good reason.

I saw a mixed bag in other places we went. At least for me, even when Ohio relaxed the mandate, I still wore my mask out of habit and just wanting to not be the cause of someone else getting sick. It's taken a while, but I'm slowly feeling comfortable keeping the mask off in certain environments. The airport and airplane is NOT one of those environments. Now, the airport (Cleveland, Nashville and San Diego) was a mixed bag as well even though you're supposed to wear one. The airplanes were generally not an issue as the attendants made it clear early on that they're just doing their job and they wanted to avoid repeated warnings or getting someone arrested for an altercation.

This morning I went to Vons and every customer had a mask on except one.

Just thought I'd share some random data points from an outside who has recently gone through this "phase".

Old 06-16-2021, 11:42 AM

587 posts, read 443,142 times
I was at both Ralph's and Trader Joe's in my area yesterday and everyone still had their masks on. We had an out of town guest for a couple of nights and he went to the zoo yesterday and said that almost everyone was still wearing masks.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:11 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
I still wore my mask out of habit...

Mine has become a part of my EDC gear in general. After all this time and conditioning, it's now just another item on my mental checklist and personal pat-down as I leave the house; keys, wallet, phone, knife, tac pen, mask...

Old 06-16-2021, 12:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Everyone in Vons was masked up yesterday. An employee was scraping the arrows from the floors in the aisles though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego