Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Agree

Yea its across all forums not Just the San Diego Section. I think its just a few of us still here

You ole Dog Whats up!
Not much man. Just chillin and working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I remember you from a long time ago.

It's nice to see you back.

Why'd you drop out?

Anyone have any idea why so many people seem to have dropped out?
The forums just got too much and I needed a break. Good to still see you here

Old 01-12-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's the politics. It got ridiculous. Even with covid some can't help themselves. No one want's to argue with people that are anonymous and so hard line.

If it's name calling and gas lighting it's not a discussion.
^^^This

Old 01-13-2022, 02:33 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
The ones who dominate P&OC get their information from the likes of AM Talk, Fox, Newsmax, OAN, Info Wars, and whatever garbage lands on their FB feed. Occasionally someone will post something factual and informative, but they don't stay there long. I don't know about young folks, I'm retired and almost 68 myself but I prefer forums where even if you don't always agree with posters, you can still have a conversation based on facts.
This is another problem I've noticed too. People are quick to say it is the fault of one side of the political aisle even though all sides do it. There have been countless salom, snopes, huffpo, manbc, etc. garbage posted too. Plenty of forced conspiracies that turned out not to be true.

Once people can acknowledge it is not one sided maybe it'll get better like before.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,747,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I still check in here regularly to see what's being talked about but don't post as often as I use to. I'll post in other forums seeking advice from locals on where to eat and what to do in places I've never been before.

I unsubscribed to Nextdoor a long time ago because it turned into bickering, complaining and shaming.
I despise NextDoor. The bickering is far worse than this site. And it's a lot of people just bitching about stupid schit

Old 01-13-2022, 09:58 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I mean, I feel ya on Reddit. I deleted my account over a year ago and haven't looked back. Deleted Facebook probably six years ago, haven't looked back.

I enjoy the more intimate setting of C-D in some ways. But this forum isn't always kind to younger posters. In a lot of ways, it seems like a safe space for older posters who seem to hold a lot of resentment or lack of empathy towards younger people. I kinda get why they may not be attracted to this sort of environment.
Older posters on here don’t lack empathy, and certainly don’t have resentment, towards younger people. It’s called sharing through life lessened learned already, and sometimes a much needed reality check. Sadly a lot of younger people were told they could do no wrong growing up, and could do/be whatever they want. When the world tells them that’s not how things work they take it the wrong way. I put this one on parents for not preparing their kids for the real world.

At least here people genuinely want to help, whereas Reddit is largely just an echo chamber. Truth be dammed. When you’re on Reddit and dare bring up reality (or facts) to a discussion you’ll get downvoted into oblivion if it goes against what they want to hear.

With that said, I think why you’ve seen a big drop on this forum is because most of us have better things we can be doing when most threads inevitably turn into a covid/political discussion. Social media has been toxic for years now, and it was refreshing that this site (specifically this forum), by and large, wasn’t.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:35 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Older posters on here don’t lack empathy, and certainly don’t have resentment, towards younger people. It’s called sharing through life lessened learned already, and sometimes a much needed reality check. Sadly a lot of younger people were told they could do no wrong growing up, and could do/be whatever they want. When the world tells them that’s not how things work they take it the wrong way. I put this one on parents for not preparing their kids for the real world.

At least here people genuinely want to help, whereas Reddit is largely just an echo chamber. Truth be dammed. When you’re on Reddit and dare bring up reality (or facts) to a discussion you’ll get downvoted into oblivion if it goes against what they want to hear.

With that said, I think why you’ve seen a big drop on this forum is because most of us have better things we can be doing when most threads inevitably turn into a covid/political discussion. Social media has been toxic for years now, and it was refreshing that this site (specifically this forum), by and large, wasn’t.
I don't think all of the older posters lack empathy. I've met some kind ones who seem to be pretty open minded and generous with their advice.

However, I think a lot of older posters--especially the retired ones--are a bit detached from the realities of the modern world.

There's a reason why I don't ask my 66 year old father who's been a truck driver at the same company since 1979 advice on how to best improve my job seeking chances in today's challenging corporate job market. For one, he hasn't filled out an application in over 40 years. He doesn't have a resume/CV. He doesn't have a LinkedIn. He doesn't know about ATS. He doesn't know anything about Corporate America.

There's a reason why I don't ask for his advice around my educational pursuits--he's never gone to college and has no idea what the educational landscape looks like today. There are far more options out there than there were just 10 years ago to advance one's education. Most of the older posters are opposed to these new ways, because it is foreign to them. It would also blow his mind what an education costs these days, especially since he didn't contribute a dime towards my first degree.

The problem with these older posters that I specifically have in mind is that they think they're absolutely right based on all the historic data they have from their own lives. But the problem therein with that reasoning is that the world around them is not static; it changes and it changes often. So sure, while some of their advice about professionalism may still be relevant today, a lot of their advice from the good ol' days is not. It's rarely has anything to do with a reality check. If anyone needs it, it's usually them.

Last edited by modest; 01-13-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 10:35 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
It's cheap to run this site, and the ownership in not in the US, they are in a much lower CoL part of the world. The software is open source and a competent linux sysadmin could build a cluster to support this site in a weekend. The bandwidth costs are probably high but everything else is pretty minimal.
Basically a small group of posters is creating 90% of the content on a site like this. The difference between a site like this and a site like Reddit or FB, is that on those sites, end users can share, create and distribute content on and off the platform, which continually increases it's content available to advertise with. You can't 'go viral' on a forum. This site is more like Quora in that it enforces a format, has limited additional content types, has limited reach off the platform (just Google SEO basically). I would actually liken this site to Craigslist, it is closely and privately held, makes enough $$ for it's owners, and there is no innovation or growth because other, VC-backed high-growth sites have taken all the would-be new (young) users.

Personally I find the Redditors to be much worse than the old fart brigade on this site. I am much less likely to be doxxed here as well (although it happened back in the day). I will say this, I read the SD forums on Reddit and they suck as well. It is mostly helpless people asking stupid questions that anyone with google or a phone could answer in 30 seconds.
I know who I'm cheating off of on the next Test Great Post
Look
The San Diego Forum of City Data is a great place with a wealth of information and Amazing People. But it seems from time to time that, especially as of late that, people that don't normally post in the San Diego Forum, nor live here in San Diego come in to post their Political views Propaganda B.S.. Take over all that, a keep that BS Over in the political Forum.

How about we get back to what made the San Diego section Great, and leave the political algorithms BS behind.

Just My thoughts.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:37 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I don't think all of the older posters lack empathy. I've met some kind ones who seem to be pretty open minded and generous with their advice.

However, I think a lot of older posters--especially the retired ones--are a bit detached from the realities of the modern world.

There's a reason why I don't ask my 66 year old father who's been a truck driver at the same company since 1979 advice on how to best improve my job seeking chances in today's challenging corporate job market. For one, he hasn't filled out an application in over 40 years. He doesn't have a resume/CV. He doesn't have a LinkedIn. He doesn't know about ATS. He doesn't know anything about Corporate America.

There's a reason why I don't ask for his advice around my educational pursuits--he's never gone to college and has no idea what the educational landscape looks like today. There are far more options out there than there were just 10 years ago to advance one's education. Most of the older posters are opposed to these new ways, because it is foreign to them. It would also blow his mind what an education costs these days, especially since he didn't contribute a dime towards my first degree.

The problem with these older posters that I specifically have in mind is that they think they're absolutely right based on all the historic data they have from their own lives. But the problem therein with that reasoning is that the world around them is not static; it changes and it changes often. So sure, while some of their advice about professionalism may still be relevant today, a lot of their advice from the good ol' days is not. It's rarely has anything to do with a reality check. If anyone needs it, it's usually them.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. There’s a reason that statement has hung around for ages.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:52 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I know who I'm cheating off of on the next Test Great Post
Look
The San Diego Forum of City Data is a great place with a wealth of information and Amazing People. But it seems from time to time that, especially as of late that, people that don't normally post in the San Diego Forum, nor live here in San Diego come in to post their Political views Propaganda B.S.. Take over all that, a keep that BS Over in the political Forum.

How about we get back to what made the San Diego section Great, and leave the political algorithms BS behind.

Just My thoughts.
Without new users, there are no "where should I move" questions. For better or worse, the new users are not coming here. A lot of it has to do with the shift to mobile, which this site never did. Most new users access sites like this on their phones, not on a desktop. Quora, FB, Reddit et al are all mostly mobile now. It's not like these users come here and get pushed away, they never come here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego