Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times

Advertisements

I've heard of all the great things about San Diego. Sounds like paradise. So tell me, is there anything not to like about San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Roadways and Public Transportation. Alot of transplants have no idea where they are going- they natives can't seem to drive in rain. You are essentially taking motorists from all over the country and the world and putting them on one highway when they all have a different perspective and experience with the rules of the highway. Police are more concerned with parking violations then speed violations- so you get drivers going anywhwere from 50mph-100mph You have some highways that are consntantly frustrating to drive in, 5 is one of them especially in the summer- you have a work rushhour crowd and a leisure crowd (beach, race track SD Co. Fair crowd) not a very good mix. Alot of accidents on 78- it seems like even the minor ones stop traffic and add 30-45 mintues to your trip. Route 8 requires you to know where you are going or it can be very tricky. SD doesn't have a traditional grid- so it isn't easy avoiding the major highways. Public Transportation is terrible. I looked into getting a pass and taking the sprinter (I think thats the name) to work and it would actually be the same price as gas would be- so much for trying to take another car off the road. Cabs are pricey, buses are slow and of course we have no subways. I will say the Trolley is a decent/affordable mode of transportation, but can only serve some of your needs.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Taxes and jobs. We pay lots of taxes and there's not many jobs.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
It's not a "city" like NYC, LA, Chicago, or SF. It is more comparable in size/cultural activities to Denver, Portland. That isn't necessarily a negative, but it definitely isn't a "major" city despite its population- a lot of that population is far removed from downtown.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I've heard of all the great things about San Diego. Sounds like paradise. So tell me, is there anything not to like about San Diego?
The natives Seriously, if you come from a place like NYC, be prepared for a culture shock. They are so mentally slow around here and I've started to take notes of the answers I've gotten to basic questions. I'm not talking about a slower pace of life, but their mental capacity. I refer to these as San Diegoisms. You just can't believe people could be that dense, but they are. Nothing surprises me anymore. And sarcasm? Forget about it. They don't get it here. You'll feel like you're living in the Twilight Zone. My friends blame it on the sun, saying their brains have been fried, and at this point, that theory just might be true.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The natives Seriously, if you come from a place like NYC, be prepared for a culture shock. They are so mentally slow around here and I've started to take notes of the answers I've gotten to basic questions. I'm not talking about a slower pace of life, but their mental capacity. I refer to these as San Diegoisms. You just can't believe people could be that dense, but they are. Nothing surprises me anymore. And sarcasm? Forget about it. They don't get it here. You'll feel like you're living in the Twilight Zone. My friends blame it on the sun, saying their brains have been fried, and at this point, that theory just might be true.
Oh my God you actually get it! This is how I've felt about San Diego for as long as I can remember. I only stay here now because it's 1. convenient (for reasons I won't go into) and 2. once you're in it's hard to get out even when you want to.

Sarcasm is not much appreciated here at all, or they just don't get it. I've been in SD a long long time yet I've never become a San Diegan and don't want to really. I make the best of it for sure but it's shortcomings are obvious if this isn't how you naturally are.

Another way you can tell that SD really isn't all it's cracked up to be is the fact that weather is at the top of the list when positives are spoken about. That means there isn't much else to offer. Beaches? Not unique, many places around the world have those. Hawaiians must laugh at SD when we talk about our beaches. The zoo? I've been to 4 different zoo on the west coast, a zoo is a zoo after a while. You see pretty much the same animals with each zoo specializing in a certain area but that's it. Sea World? There are two others that are bigger and nicer. So where does that leave us? What's really unique?

And as far as this so called perfect weather is concerned; Everyday you hear people say stuff like, "it's hot today", It's cold today", Why is it so windy?", "what's with this cloudiness?". For a place that has perfect weather they sure gripe about it a lot lol.

Ha, Now I will wait for the angry SD defenders in 3...2...1

Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer619 View Post
Well, there is certainly plenty to like about SD, but there is also plenty to dislike. It all depends on what your idea of "Paradise" is and what you are looking for in life. The best way to find out if San Diego lives up to your expectations is to actually come out here for a visit.
That's a good point. I can sit here and say things like the above all day but these very things might be what you love about SD as a great many people do.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,994,247 times
many people i have met think san diego is boring
may not be as multicultural as you may be used to
racism and racial ignorance may still be encountered
mak802 has a point about the slowness
lots of meat head types culminating in certain parts, i.e. gaslamp on a friday night
job market not very strong and less opportunities
jobs generally don't pay well for the cost of living
sprawl issues in many parts of the county and highly dependant on a car
larger proportion of conservatives may be a drawback for you
i personally find san diegans to be either quite friendly or very defensive and judgmental
large male to female ratio may be a drawback for you as well
less art and culture than you may expect

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 35,364 times
Why are people that live in San Diego so full of it? They allways act like it's the best place on earth. I ve been here and I'll say it's allright but people praise and overrate this city too much really I was expecting paradise but it's just a average suburban city nothing less nothing more. So why do San Diegans allways act like San Diego is the greatest thing? Really even the media there are always praising this place turn on the news and the first thing you here is Americas finest city, Beats me.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i think walking home late at night off the green line near cisero in chicago is exciting at 35F below.
i miss it. btw i will take off these shorts get dressed and go water the tomatoes and feed the hummingbirds in just a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego