Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,053 times

Advertisements

-The way people think(mostly in politics)
-Driving in San Diego
-Public transport is sub-par
-Weather is too bland
-Small town feel
-Too many "green-heads"
-Doesn't feel as diverse as it used to be
-Cost way too much(for what you are getting)
-Sports isn't that big here.
-Lots of tourists which at times can get on you nerves
-A little low key when compared to the Nation's other main cities.
Too image conscious
-It seems the job-housing ratio is way off(at least down here in the S.Bay)
-Bad street system(countywide)
-I'm not a fan of a lot of trees so that's one for me
-Our main attractions are not big main attractions.
-Fires

That's my problems.I might have another 30 more but I don't want to post them because I'm sounding like a baby.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
SD has a professional baseball team??? Could've fooled me!

I've been to zoos in most major cities all over the country, and have to say my personal favorite is and always will be the Bronx Zoo. Easy to get around, relatively flat, and their conservation program is wonderful. I too don't get the hype about this zoo.

And as far as the weather goes, I love how people claim it's warm all year long. My friends came to visit in January, April and July and couldn't believe how cold it was. In January, we were in coats and sweatpants and definitely not on the beach. The one that came in April was pissed off because she came all the way from the East coast with her kids, and people on a travel board told her it's shorts weather, so she ended up having to go shopping for clothes. In July, we didn't see the sun til around 1pm, thanks to the wonderful marine layer that seems to have lasted from April to July this past season. I had to take my friend to Vegas for a couple of days, because she was looking forward to heat and SD simply did not have it in July. And now, I'm wearing boots and jeans and long sleeves because it is not exactly warm out there. So I guess our definitions of perfect weather differ greatly.

And sure, we have beaches, but try going swimming without a wetsuit. I was freezing even in August and have really not enjoyed the water here at all because it's so damn cold all the time. The seaweed is disgusting and all over the beaches, and that's all you see when you take a picture of the beach. It attracts flies that are all over you and the seaweed. Kinda disgusting if you ask me.

And the restaurants...I won't start a rant, but if you're looking for quality food, I hope you like Mexican cause that's the only thing they got right around here!
I've heard the Bronx zoo is really nice. Never have seen a picture of it though so I can't back you up on that. However my favorite zoo so far is the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. Despite Seattle being a hilly city, this zoo too is rather flat. It's name also fits it extremely well. It's like the zoo is built in a wooded park! It's also not crowded with buildings. It has one food court and one gift shop. The rest is dedicated to the exhibits and the beautiful grounds and you won't need physical training to walk around it.

Now this weather thing again; MTV tried twice to film their spring break out here at Mission Bay Park. They heard all the hype about the weather. Both years they hated it because it was overcast (which I personally like) most of the time and even when the sun was out, it's not toasty in April like Florida is at all. Then it went from one extreme to the other. August was Africa hot and it was humid too.

Oh and the beaches here are horrible. Not only for the reasons you described, but also because houses are built right up to the beaches. It's almost as if you have to go through someones yard half the time. There's a reason we need to have beach cleanups and they talk about the record amounts of trash they pickup each year. Orange County has some of the best beaches; Doheny State Beach and Huntington Beach come to mind. The beaches here smell as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
-The way people think(mostly in politics)
-Driving in San Diego
-Public transport is sub-par
-Weather is too bland
-Small town feel
-Too many "green-heads"
-Doesn't feel as diverse as it used to be
-Cost way too much(for what you are getting)
-Sports isn't that big here.
-Lots of tourists which at times can get on you nerves
-A little low key when compared to the Nation's other main cities.
Too image conscious
-It seems the job-housing ratio is way off(at least down here in the S.Bay)
-Bad street system(countywide)
-I'm not a fan of a lot of trees so that's one for me
-Our main attractions are not big main attractions.
-Fires

That's my problems.I might have another 30 more but I don't want to post them because I'm sounding like a baby.LOL
We agree on most of these although I love trees.

As far as the street layout, I think San Diego was built by a band of blind retarded people. No where is this more true than in Mission Valley where I live. There are seriously streets that lead to no where. If you've ever tried navigating through Mission Valley then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And yes definitely too image conscious and rather shallow.

Man this thread is therapy for me.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:
SD has a professional baseball team??? Could've fooled me!

I've been to zoos in most major cities all over the country, and have to say my personal favorite is and always will be the Bronx Zoo. Easy to get around, relatively flat, and their conservation program is wonderful. I too don't get the hype about this zoo.

And as far as the weather goes, I love how people claim it's warm all year long. My friends came to visit in January, April and July and couldn't believe how cold it was. In January, we were in coats and sweatpants and definitely not on the beach. The one that came in April was pissed off because she came all the way from the East coast with her kids, and people on a travel board told her it's shorts weather, so she ended up having to go shopping for clothes. In July, we didn't see the sun til around 1pm, thanks to the wonderful marine layer that seems to have lasted from April to July this past season. I had to take my friend to Vegas for a couple of days, because she was looking forward to heat and SD simply did not have it in July. And now, I'm wearing boots and jeans and long sleeves because it is not exactly warm out there. So I guess our definitions of perfect weather differ greatly.

And sure, we have beaches, but try going swimming without a wetsuit. I was freezing even in August and have really not enjoyed the water here at all because it's so damn cold all the time. The seaweed is disgusting and all over the beaches, and that's all you see when you take a picture of the beach. It attracts flies that are all over you and the seaweed. Kinda disgusting if you ask me.

And the restaurants...I won't start a rant, but if you're looking for quality food, I hope you like Mexican cause that's the only thing they got right around here!
You are being petty, but i see where you are coming from. Its hard to complain about the beaches and weather. Truth is its not hot here...its not like a 90 degree July afternoon in NYC- who wants that? Nor is it cold here, who wants 20 degrees? If your looking for comfortable weather-its in San Diego. As far as the beaches go, I've always thought that the Atlantic is fun to play in, while the Pacific is nice to look at- there aren't many picturesque ocean views than the La Jolla Cove. I don't think San Diego is perfect, obviously, but these two areas aren't pulling it down.

I'm with you when your talking about the lack of quality places to eat both casual and fine dining although I spend more time casual dining- especially given the population here. A top cutting edge chef could march in here and kick @#$. A New Yorker could do the same here with a great deli or pizzeria.

The one thing my wife points out when I complain about the people in San Diego- is that most of the people here aren't actually from San Diego- so if you complain about the people like you were in the previous post- you are complaining about people from New York, Boston (alot of Baustin people here) and Midwest people. I think all this requires one to examine the type of people coming here (which has been done in other threads) and/or the changes that take place to people when they move out here.

You can assimilate here and do some or all of the following 1) take on surf culture here 2) become a Charger fan 3) Buy a car you can't afford 4) eat a fish taco every other day 5) Be ultra-defensive when someone attacks San Diego 7) wear a heavy coat and scarf when its 55 8)wear sunglasses and sideway hat. But just because you live here now doesn't mean you have to fall in line with the majority. My one guilty San diego thing that i've taken on is Flipflops- If I'm not in Dress shoes- I wear flips flops all the time.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 11-23-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 04:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
and another thing i cant stand fresh fruits and vegetables. give me good ol meat and potatoes 6 month out of the year. and all that sunlight give me a break how bout some overcast like 7 months out of the year whad do u think?. oh chicago it must be just about nice and crisp right now that crunch crunch as you walk down the road. how i miss it.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The one thing my wife points out when I complain about the people in San Diego- is that most of the people here aren't actually from San Diego- so if you complain about the people like you were in the previous post- you are complaining about people from New York, Boston (alot of Baustin people here) and Midwest people. I think all this requires one to examine the type of people coming here (which has been done in other threads) and/or the changes that take place to people when they move out here.
I am aware that there are many people here from other states, but the people I am complaining about are natives, not transplants. I always ask people I talk to if they were raised here, and the ones that say yes always live up to the my stereotype. I used to have a neighbor when we first moved to San Diego and him and his girl were awesome to hang out with and funny and got sarcasm. Not sure why it took me 2 months to ask him where he was from, but he just moved from NJ. Figured, since he actually had a personality.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:
I am aware that there are many people here from other states, but the people I am complaining about are natives, not transplants. I always ask people I talk to if they were raised here, and the ones that say yes always live up to the my stereotype. I used to have a neighbor when we first moved to San Diego and him and his girl were awesome to hang out with and funny and got sarcasm. Not sure why it took me 2 months to ask him where he was from, but he just moved from NJ. Figured, since he actually had a personality.
I've had the opposite experience. I actually can't stand being in areas that are dominated by tourists and transplants (mainly tourists), which makes my list of places that I'll live here very small.

Its funny my wife (born and raised here) complains when we visit my parents back east that people are too chatty there. I see where she is coming from- there are some occassions that I don't want to chat it up with someone- and i don't care for someones story or opinion- and you'll have no problem with that here.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM

9 posts, read 19,959 times
What's not to like? Actually a lot. SD feels like a small run down border town in virtually all areas except la jolla and north county. The land is nice but the city ugly and dated.

How about the low wages? Companies in SD do not pay in line with other cities but ye SD wants to boast about it's small and decAying tech industries.

How about the high cost of subpar RE? I just saw a 2300sqft hous built in 1991 for 799k. Th kitchen still had the original fridge...

How about how much nicer Orange county is? All you have to do is take a trip to Irvine to see how much newer and better that is compared with north county.

So while SD has it's charms, it's also got a lot of negatives.

Oh and about Chicago- last week was in 50s and there aren't forclosures on every block nor a feeling of dread that hangs on californians about what the future holds.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I actually can't stand being in areas that are dominated by tourists and transplants (mainly tourists), which makes my list of places that I'll live here very small.

Its funny my wife (born and raised here) complains when we visit my parents back east that people are too chatty there. I see where she is coming from- there are some occassions that I don't want to chat it up with someone- and i don't care for someones story or opinion- and you'll have no problem with that here.

Where are you originally from, if you don't mind saying? I never encountered chatty people back east (north Jersey and NYC), but every time I go to the dog park, people seem to want to share their life story here. Quite the opposite in the neighborhood we live in. We live in Hillcrest, hardly a tourist area, and the people are so unfriendly! I've never lived in a place where I don't know my neighbors, but they are just not friendly around here!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I've heard of all the great things about San Diego. Sounds like paradise. So tell me, is there anything not to like about San Diego?
San Diego is no different than any other city, meaning it has it's good and bad in everything. And FYI, not all of us natives are dense or defensive, and we do have personalities, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglyEyes123
Why are people that live in San Diego so full of it? They allways act like it's the best place on earth. I ve been here and I'll say it's allright but people praise and overrate this city too much really I was expecting paradise but it's just a average suburban city nothing less nothing more. So why do San Diegans allways act like San Diego is the greatest thing? Really even the media there are always praising this place turn on the news and the first thing you here is Americas finest city, Beats me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFront
What's not to like? Actually a lot. SD feels like a small run down border town in virtually all areas except la jolla and north county. The land is nice but the city ugly and dated.

How about the low wages? Companies in SD do not pay in line with other cities but ye SD wants to boast about it's small and decAying tech industries.

How about the high cost of subpar RE? I just saw a 2300sqft hous built in 1991 for 799k. Th kitchen still had the original fridge...

How about how much nicer Orange county is? All you have to do is take a trip to Irvine to see how much newer and better that is compared with north county.

So while SD has it's charms, it's also got a lot of negatives.

Oh and about Chicago- last week was in 50s and there aren't forclosures on every block nor a feeling of dread that hangs on californians about what the future holds.
Welcome back!! Wow, 2 new usernames in the same day? Too bad there isn't a limit on how many accounts you can create in a single day on this site.

Obviously, it still ticks you off when people praise SD while bashing LA at the same time. Sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego