Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
For the OP,

Some things you can figure out about SD by observing the interactions in this thread:

1. SD often gets compared to LA

which means that LA probably is overshadowing SD in some way, if LA wasn't such a big deal it wouldn't be mentioned

2. People in SD hate it when you compare SD to where you came from

be extra tactful when comparing your former city to SD, they will not take it very well and may become highly defensive

3. They can be quick to call someone out. Sometimes this includes personal attacks on who they deem to be deserving of it. Very quick to defend

again be careful not to make San Diegans feel attacked

4. There is a clash between the people who like SD and the ones who don't

this clash occurs in other aspects, i.e. North County versus the rest of SD, they think North County people are elitists, democrats vs republicans because of the political 50/50 split

5. Not just in this thread, but just about in any thread which asks about what SD is like the issue of cost of living vs. wages is brought up

must be and is true

6. There are people in this forum who are regular posters and know and remember the history of other posters, sometimes using this information when they are invalidating someone, and little coalitions are formed

These certain San Diegans must not be very busy people and have a lot of time to keep up with these sort of things, not because they are "losers" but probably because San Diego is boring and nothing better to do

7. From my statements above, someone will likely be offended in some way and I will likely get flamed. I don't mean to offend anyone, but am just stating my honest assessment of SD for the OP
Right on. The LA- SD thing is like a Napoleon compex. I think its funny because most people would choose not to live in LA and some people that move to SD actually find out its not what its cracked up to be- so you have pride on pride and a bunch of outsiders scratching their head.

"they will not take it very well and may become highly defensive" Try not to state facts either when your being tactful. I mention the lack of grid here- I make no associaton that I'm blaming city planners. It is what it is, but because it is this way traffic is worse than it should be. Apparently, Mr. SD Pride saw it otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
I must admit I find the negativity towards San Diego more confusing than anything else. I've lived all over the country and San Diego is the best place for me to live. Some of this may be a question of where a person's life is. As someone with a good job that they like, San Diego seems like paradise. I lived in areas with REAL winters and hated it. Additionally I lived in LA and could not stand it. But if I were a single person I would probably not live in San Diego. Additionally, the locals from San DIego I like lived in major metro areas (NY, Chicago, D.C.) for a while before coming back to San Diego to raise their families. They seem to understand irony and sarcasm fine, but they also have advanced degrees and have traveled extensively. Non-motivated type people who do not seek out an education or move away from their hometown are dull and boring regardless of which city you are discussing. If you are looking for a thriving URBAN area, SF or LA are better bets. If you are looking to avoid that scene, San Diego would be more your style. As for the complaining about weather and beaches, that is just laughable, but to each his own.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Mini Cute has it dead on

I know some of us here don't like each other, and that's fine, but even when we disagree or can't stand another persons post, it's refreshing to let out your frustrations or issues about a city or where you live, because it's an outlet for people to vent, which I totally respect.

After going over old photo's of the time I spent in Denver, I can now say that Denver has a lot of character I must of forgotten about in years past.

I like to judge cities based on it's architecture, that's probably a wrong thing to do, but seriously, when you live in a city that has great architecture from government buildings to apartments and homes, it makes a huge difference on how you feel about it. I can say that Denver completely blows away SD architecturally. Even new homes and buildings have this old style classic design to them, which looks really good. Now compare that to the horrible looking condo's in downtown SD. I swear this one new small apartment/condo complex called "Studio Fifteen" right off Imperial Ave, looks like a block of lego's, it's unbelievably awful looking. It looks weak and tiny, to many colors that throws off it's design,on the other hand Denver buildings look tough and solid, more of a manly image, while San Diego buildings seem soft and feminine in a way.

Barrio Logan is now being leveled for new condo's, just check out National Ave where all the old warehouses used to be, it's being turned into ugly condo's for the gentrifying yuppies that can't afford Downtown or East village. Not only do our new buildings lack great design, but the colors schemes that are chosen, are absolutely terrible! Bright pastel colors is used for just about every single one of them making them look cheap. They are also flat and use a lot of stucco, which only adds to it's crappyness, sometimes I wonder "What the hell were the developers thinking"? The local "guys" need to hire designers from the East Coast, because they know how to build homes that have great style and character.

Some nice brick Row homes would be perfect in SD
Interesting perspective that's for sure. Never heard it put quite that way.

SD is in a seismic zone so brick is not recommended anywhere on the west coast anymore. These crumble during earthquakes. I hear what you're saying about the architecture though. That's one of the things that make this city so bland. What I hate is all the track housing. Why would you want to live in a neighborhood where you actually have to know your address because every other residence looks exactly like yours? Every newer place built in SD is part of an HOA, either a condo complex or neighborhood. There aren't anymore nice single homes just being put up anymore. This happens in many places but SD is the mecca for this.

As far as some of us not getting along, the best thing to do in that situation is agree to disagree and move on from there. We're not going to change how we feel or what we post anymore than they are so there's no point in interacting with them. I just find those who may share my opinions (which is sort of my point for being here, I can go anywhere else to argue). Like I said at the beginning, the SD defenders do come out in force when you bag on their city. More so than most others.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The local "guys" need to hire designers from the East Coast, because they know how to build homes that have great style and character.

Some nice brick Row homes would be perfect in SD
Those brick rowhomes were built 150 years ago. They were designed and built by people who are long dead.

The average NYC low-rise apartment building is called a "Fedders" and looks like this:
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/18.ave/21.18th.fedders.jpg (broken link)

or this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4QxzWw14F2...sania+lod2.jpg

or this:
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SLICES/durkee/fedders.94.jpg (broken link)

These buildings are universally hated and are EVERYWHERE in NY. Note the stucco.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 11-25-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Like I said at the beginning, the SD defenders do come out in force when you bag on their city. More so than most others.
That's just simply not true. I've seen the same type of discourse in the SF forum, Miami forum, Seattle forum, US General/City vs City forum, etc.. I can pull up examples if you truly believe this is somehow unique to the SD forum. If you go into any forum and start bashing the place, some posters will shoot back inevitably no matter what forum it is. The funny thing is how antagonistic you don't realize you are, you were basically looking for some sort of confrontation from the beginning and set yourself up to see what you want to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ha, Now I will wait for the angry SD defenders in 3...2...1
Sorry but some of you are just incredibly full of it and need to take a look in the mirror for trying to call out others for the same exact crap you and others pull in here. The double standards and hypocrisy among some gets nauseating in here.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 19,959 times
It's Only human to defend ones home. People are the same in that respect anywhere you go.

One difference in SD is that the state and city are in very very serious trouble. That can cause people to overreact or engage in fantasy.

Living in SD is in some way like working for a company going under. Some employees leave early, some try to right the ship and some pretend nothig is wrong and make a bad guy of some kind their source problem.

It's only human nature..

Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFront View Post
It's Only human to defend ones home. People are the same in that respect anywhere you go.

One difference in SD is that the state and city are in very very serious trouble. That can cause people to overreact or engage in fantasy.

Living in SD is in some way like working for a company going under. Some employees leave early, some try to right the ship and some pretend nothig is wrong and make a bad guy of some kind their source problem.

It's only human nature..
Going under? Are you kidding? Edited. I just read your posts. You appear to be a delusional fool or an internet troll.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 19,959 times
The more nasty the attacks in general the more true the otherside argument usually is.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFront View Post
The more nasty the attacks in general the more true the otherside argument usually is.
Your not making real "arguments". I posted legitimate criticisms that could be made about San Diego and I acknowledge it may not be for everyone. Your claiming the area is some kind of hellhole is strange. Have you been to the rest of the country? San Diego looks pretty darn nice in comparison to most areas, but I can understand why a city lover would prefer SF. But to suggest SD is a pit is silly. My guess is you are posting these tirades here b/c no one in the real world gives them any credence. My "attack" was merely commenting on what you are doing, which is flaming/trolling.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It is true that the male population is way larger than females but that is because it is a military town.
San Diego County

Male 50.3%
Female 49.7%

Doesn't seem very male-dominated to me. In fact, San Diego County has a more even balance between men and women compared to the U.S. as a whole:

Male 49.3%
Female 50.7%

San Diego County, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego