Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
San Diego County

Male 50.3%
Female 49.7%

Doesn't seem very male-dominated to me. In fact, San Diego County has a more even balance between men and women compared to the U.S. as a whole:

Male 49.3%
Female 50.7%

San Diego County, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
What about the city itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 PM

858 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Mini Cute has it dead on

I know some of us here don't like each other, and that's fine, but even when we disagree or can't stand another persons post, it's refreshing to let out your frustrations or issues about a city or where you live, because it's an outlet for people to vent, which I totally respect.

After going over old photo's of the time I spent in Denver, I can now say that Denver has a lot of character I must of forgotten about in years past.

I like to judge cities based on it's architecture, that's probably a wrong thing to do, but seriously, when you live in a city that has great architecture from government buildings to apartments and homes, it makes a huge difference on how you feel about it. I can say that Denver completely blows away SD architecturally. Even new homes and buildings have this old style classic design to them, which looks really good. Now compare that to the horrible looking condo's in downtown SD. I swear this one new small apartment/condo complex called "Studio Fifteen" right off Imperial Ave, looks like a block of lego's, it's unbelievably awful looking. It looks weak and tiny, to many colors that throws off it's design,on the other hand Denver buildings look tough and solid, more of a manly image, while San Diego buildings seem soft and feminine in a way.

Barrio Logan is now being leveled for new condo's, just check out National Ave where all the old warehouses used to be, it's being turned into ugly condo's for the gentrifying yuppies that can't afford Downtown or East village. Not only do our new buildings lack great design, but the colors schemes that are chosen, are absolutely terrible! Bright pastel colors is used for just about every single one of them making them look cheap. They are also flat and use a lot of stucco, which only adds to it's crappyness, sometimes I wonder "What the hell were the developers thinking"? The local "guys" need to hire designers from the East Coast, because they know how to build homes that have great style and character.

Some nice brick Row homes would be perfect in SD
Good post!

This is usually true. A sign of character, culture, and the people of a city is its architecture and infrastructure.

For example, take a look at Vancouver's new buildings. They are built to last and to match the scenery. They just blend very well with the backdrop of the mountains. I think they really care about aesthetics, so that's why they do it this way.

Look at the Coronado bridge in SD. Aesthetically, it is very subpar. There's nothing in SD that makes you look at a structure and say "wow, that's beautiful" with a sigh. I feel San Diegans are not into arts because everywhere you look is not well maintained and built subpar and lack of museums in quality and quantity. And what about all the overpasses over the freeways? It is very easy to decorate the sides of the overpasses, but no, they don't do it. And please, don't use taxes as an excuse. It is just the mindset of the people here that they don't care about aesthetics and that's why they don't want to put money there in the first place. And those odd looking buildings with the octogonal roofs. They are just plain ugly and it's in the private sector.

SD has a lot of potential, but the city and the people just don't care.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Good post!

This is usually true. A sign of character, culture, and the people of a city is its architecture and infrastructure.

For example, take a look at Vancouver's new buildings. They are built to last and to match the scenery. They just blend very well with the backdrop of the mountains. I think they really care about aesthetics, so that's why they do it this way.

Look at the Coronado bridge in SD. Aesthetically, it is very subpar. There's nothing in SD that makes you look at a structure and say "wow, that's beautiful" with a sigh. I feel San Diegans are not into arts because everywhere you look is not well maintained and built subpar and lack of museums in quality and quantity. And what about all the overpasses over the freeways? It is very easy to decorate the sides of the overpasses, but no, they don't do it. And please, don't use taxes as an excuse. It is just the mindset of the people here that they don't care about aesthetics and that's why they don't want to put money there in the first place. And those odd looking buildings with the octogonal roofs. They are just plain ugly and it's in the private sector.

SD has a lot of potential, but the city and the people just don't care.
Oh now come on, you can't say the American Plaza building downtown is ugly now can you? lol

I think you pretty much explained what some of us have been saying when we say boring or bland. I'll be honest, from a distance the skyline is actually kind of pretty. It makes a great postcard shot that's for sure. But once you're in the city, there's nothing that really stands out. Nothing that really catches your eye. Nothing that you could use to identify it as San Diego if you've never been here and are perhaps seeing a picture or TV footage. Many cities are instantly recognizable just by their architecture. New York goes without saying. Rows of closely packed Victorian style houses is usually enough to identify San Francisco even if you cannot see the hilly terrain or the bay. Big flashy high-rises near the water can usually identify Miami. Los Angeles, Seattle and Chicago also have their distinctions although the latter two aren't quite as easily identified, you can still tell after a while. San Diego is basically any city USA unless you already know it well.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM

858 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh now come on, you can't say the American Plaza building downtown is ugly now can you? lol

I think you pretty much explained what some of us have been saying when we say boring or bland. I'll be honest, from a distance the skyline is actually kind of pretty. It makes a great postcard shot that's for sure. But once you're in the city, there's nothing that really stands out. Nothing that really catches your eye. Nothing that you could use to identify it as San Diego if you've never been here and are perhaps seeing a picture or TV footage. Many cities are instantly recognizable just by their architecture. New York goes without saying. Rows of closely packed Victorian style houses is usually enough to identify San Francisco even if you cannot see the hilly terrain or the bay. Big flashy high-rises near the water can usually identify Miami. Los Angeles, Seattle and Chicago also have their distinctions although the latter two aren't quite as easily identified, you can still tell after a while. San Diego is basically any city USA unless you already know it well.
But...but...you can recognize SD by the octogonal building with those cool green lights, right?

Yeah, the skyline does look quite pretty but don't you think it needs more buildings? I am not comparing, but have you seen Hong Kong (http://davidderrick.files.wordpress....ht-skyline.jpg) and Vancouver(http://tourguys.files.wordpress.com/...2/skyline2.jpg) skylines? Those cities just exudes with vibrancy.

You're right, one really can't identify SD by its architecture.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
I've lived in San Diego my whole life (18 years) and I can't wait to leave. I hate it here. To much "tolerance" and "multicultural-ness" for me. Illegal aliens everywhere you go, stealing your jobs. No one can speak english. Everyone is to obsessed with being eco-friendly. Huge gang problem and random violence. Do not move here unless you can speak spanish and don't mind sitting in hours of traffic. Me personally I'm moving to Southern Illinois where the rest of my family is as soon as i can.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
But...but...you can recognize SD by the octogonal building with those cool green lights, right?

Yeah, the skyline does look quite pretty but don't you think it needs more buildings? I am not comparing, but have you seen Hong Kong (http://davidderrick.files.wordpress....ht-skyline.jpg) and Vancouver(http://tourguys.files.wordpress.com/...2/skyline2.jpg) skylines? Those cities just exudes with vibrancy.

You're right, one really can't identify SD by its architecture.
Kind of but I like Sd's skyline just because it doesn't have as many buildings. Concrete jungles never really appealed to me. I like the city of San Francisco but it's too built up without a lot of green in it. Vancouver is nice though. Wow I'm actually sticking up for SD, that never happens lol. I love Seattle's skyline though.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shal0mnurh0me View Post
I've lived in San Diego my whole life (18 years) and I can't wait to leave. I hate it here. To much "tolerance" and "multicultural-ness" for me. Illegal aliens everywhere you go, stealing your jobs. No one can speak english. Everyone is to obsessed with being eco-friendly. Huge gang problem and random violence. Do not move here unless you can speak spanish and don't mind sitting in hours of traffic. Me personally I'm moving to Southern Illinois where the rest of my family is as soon as i can.
Wow, I need to stick up for SD again. It's not quite that bad. I think being eco friendly is a very good thing IMO but I wouldn't call SD that exactly. The gang problem is there but not like it used to be.

Also as others have said, the traffic here really isn't too bad. While I love the Bay Area, traffic there makes SD look deserted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too fond of this city either.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i dont like it when i have to put on long sleeve shirts and long pants. i should not have to do that in dead winter i need to be dealt a better hand.
chicago seems like an interesting place to live, whats the weather like there this time of year, ok for flip flops ray bans, good surf???

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-25-2009 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What about the city itself?
Barely any different:

Male: 50.6%
Female 49.4%

San Diego city, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
i visit SD fairly often and have noticed an "ignorance is bliss" type of mentality for people from the area. this is totally fine with me, because that means i'm around happy people when i go to visit the area. however, the downside is that nowhere else is as good as their hometown, which will come up in conversations on occasion. overall though, it is a very nice city with plenty to do. definitely not for architecture buffs, foodies or hardcore urbanites, but definitely has a little bit of everything. bottom line, i think that anyone who has done any decent amount of travel and has lived in multiple different environments can certainly appreciate the many things that SD brings to the table regardless of its faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego