Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I

I am not saying that either place is necessarily worse than the other, but in the minds of some SD definitely suffers when compared with LA.
The main challenge for SD is that LA siphons off a large amount of potential economic and cultural activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
In looking at what the government calls MSAs (metropolitan statistical areas), San Diego's is comparable in size to Denver and Portland's (3.1 million versus 2.4 million and 2.7 million, respectively, culled from c-d and other sources).

But San Diego BY ITSELF is quite a bit larger than either Portland or Denver. San Diego within its city boundaries is, according to c-d, at 1,279,329 people, whereas Portland is at 557,706 and Denver is at 598,707.

Even San Diego County is just about 3 million people, again, BY ITSELF.

The thing is that, were SD in any other state but California and MAYBE a couple of others, it would be THE major city there, given its population.
Here, it has big bad ol' LA with which it is compared, much to its chagrin, I would imagine.

I am not saying that either place is necessarily worse than the other, but in the minds of some SD definitely suffers when compared with LA.

With regard to the quoted poster, have NO idea what a "major" city is.

I would love to know the definition of that.
I always heard that a major city was one over 100,000 people or so. Don't know if that's even accurate, I've just heard it.

San Diego is huge, both in population and land area. It runs from near Escondido (Rancho Bernardo area) to National City ( Paradise Hills and other areas), that's about 30 miles! There's also the disconnected area near the border. It is the second largest city in the state and I believe 6th or 7th largest in the nation so it is significant. It's just for a city it's size, it's lacking a lot. Many smaller cities have more "character".

Old 11-24-2009, 01:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yeah, it just sucks that the mountains seem to be floating on a yellow-brown haze because the smog is so bad.

Let's face it. LA sucks.
Smog becomes less of a concern each year [thanks to California's strict controls on polluters]. The Port of Los Angeles has the best air quality control of any port anywhere in the world. But it is what you can't see that is dangerous. The actual haze esp. in summer is like any coastal city in California [ie. San Diego & Orange co]. The worse pollutants are what is in even clear skies.

But I think San Diego has a bunch of spoil brats after reading all the negative\ self-centered comments. What more do you want? You live in one of the most beautiful sections of the most beautiful state in America! Damn! We take the train to Solana Beach to visit in-laws in Rancho Penasquitos and love swimming & BBQ even in winter [they heat the w/ solar panels like everybody does in San Diego]. I can never get enough of the museums in Balboa Pk. The palm canyon gardens there & at the zoo are the most tropical of anywhere in California.

Food? You may have a point! Could get a lot better unless dining in La Jolla\ Del Mar.

Here are a few photos to remind the rest of the world what San Diego looks like:

Last edited by californio sur; 11-24-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 35,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Smog becomes less of a concern each year [thanks to California's strict controls on polluters]. The Port of Los Angeles has the best air quality control of any port anywhere in the world. But it is what you can't see that is dangerous. The actual haze esp. in summer is like any coastal city in California [ie. San Diego & Orange co]. The worse pollutants are what is in even clear skies.

But I think San Diego has a bunch of spoil brats after reading all the negative\ self-centered comments. What more do you want? You live in one of the most beautiful sections of the most beautiful state in America! Damn! We take the train to Solana Beach to visit in-laws in Rancho Penasquitos and love swimming & BBQ even in winter [they heat the w/ solar panels like everybody does in San Diego]. I can never get enough of the museums in Balboa Pk. The palm canyon gardens there & at the zoo are the most tropical of anywhere in California.

Food? You may have a point! Could get a lot better unless dining in La Jolla\ Del Mar.

Here are a few photos to remind the rest of the world what San Diego looks like:

Please no one sees San Diego like this. Foriegners hate SD as a matter of fact b/c they think it's bland.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 PM

I can't believe I'm going to defend LA but anyone can google photos and steal the best looking and post them.

At least the picture I posted of Mount San Antonio was my own.

Last edited by Gentoo; 11-24-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Remove all pictures posted in this thread that you did not take immediately.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Some good reads in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
What I don't like about SD:
1. no culture, but beach culture people say
2. food is terrible, but good Mexican food people say
3. bland city, but great weather people say
4. urban planning does not exist here, but traffic aint bad people say

5. conservatism, but people say it's about 50/50
As I recall, you're from LA, right? And you're complaining about the lack of urban planning here? Hilarious. And by bland, I'm guessing you mean not as dumpy or dirty as LA? No arguing with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858
If you're expecting "paradise" then you will probably be disappointed b/c nowhere is paradise imo.
Exactly, I love NYC , but I would never refer to it as paradise, either. I've just gotten use to to the fact that some East Coast transplants will never stop reminding West Coast natives that things, whether it be food, weather, people, etc. are so much better where they came from. The funny thing is, if and when, they decide to go back to where they came from, they'll most likely miss alot of the things that they complained about while living here, or maybe they won't. Heck, I'd probably be do the same thing if I ever decided to move from San Diego.

And then there are the people from LA who love to complain about SD. They must still be under the impression that LA is still a desirable place to live. Just check out the mass exodus of natives who have left over the past 3 decades. Geez, all of my cousins who used to live there are long gone. Trust me, it's great for a long weekend, but then the ugliness kicks in by Sunday afternoon and I'm ready to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias
I would say the big issue is the lack of a true grid system like much of the developed cities back east have.
Now let's think about this for a minute, how is it possible to create a true grid system with all of the canyons, hills, valleys and mesas that are present throughout the city? Would it have been better if the early developers shaved off the hills and filled the valleys with earth so they could create even ground to build on? Let me guess, back east they would have figured something out, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo
It's just for a city it's size, it's lacking a lot. Many smaller cities have more "character".
So you don't notice a difference whether you are in Ocean Beach or Del Mar? between Point Loma and North Park or Coronado and Hillcrest? La Jolla and Golden Hill? Windansea and Little Italy? Pacific Beach or South Park? Everything looks and feels the same to you wherever you are? Sorry, not buying it.

Hmmm.....just curious, what smaller cities do you think have a greater variety of neighborhoods than here?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglyEyes123 View Post

Let me show you around with Pictures I've taken with cameras.

Really why not spend some time in LA? And yes there my Pictures.
At this point I've just kind of learned to ignore you b/c you usually disappear after a day or two. But since you insist on sticking around and telling lies it's time to call you out AGAIN.

These are NOT your pics at all b/c they all can be found on Skyscrapercity.com by different multiple users. I mean come on, you have different sized pictures of varying quality with different borders. That on top of the fact you always jack people's photos off that site and try to post them as your own. Which is a pretty clear violation of the TOS on this site.

L.A. Live - City Core - Hollywood Tour - SkyscraperCity

L.A : INCREDIBLE PHOTOS OF THE CITY - Page 158 - SkyscraperCity

Just give it up, this crap is getting so tired and old. So there ya go, until next time I guess right?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
So you don't notice a difference whether you are in Ocean Beach or Del Mar? between Point Loma and North Park or Coronado and Hillcrest? La Jolla and Golden Hill? Windansea and Little Italy? Pacific Beach or South Park? Everything looks and feels the same to you wherever you are? Sorry, not buying it.
You quoted a post where I said:

Quote:
t's just for a city it's size, it's lacking a lot. Many smaller cities have more "character".
I did not say in that quote that I didn't notice a difference in different places. Places can be different but still boring and bland.

But wait...I also said in this thread the the mid city area (Mainly Hillcrest, University Heights,a nd Mission Hills) is where the real San Diego is. The place that's least like what most of the city is. Having said that, it should be abundantly obvious that I can see differences in certain areas.

So what smaller cities do I think have more character? Seattle for one. San Francisco for another. SF has some issues but it has lots more character than SD.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 35,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
At this point I've just kind of learned to ignore you b/c you usually disappear after a day or two. But since you insist on sticking around and telling lies it's time to call you out AGAIN.

These are NOT your pics at all b/c they all can be found on Skyscrapercity.com by different multiple users. I mean come on, you have different sized pictures of varying quality with different borders. That on top of the fact you always jack people's photos off that site and try to post them as your own. Which is a pretty clear violation of the TOS on this site.

L.A. Live - City Core - Hollywood Tour - SkyscraperCity

L.A : INCREDIBLE PHOTOS OF THE CITY - Page 158 - SkyscraperCity

Just give it up, this crap is getting so tired and old. So there ya go, until next time I guess right?
please Ive posted those pictures on Flickr and they stole those and put them on there threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego