Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
move to CA for five years and you'll be doing the same thing. maybe we are sissies, but you'll become one too after being here for a while.
True, some of my friends from Boston complain about the "cold" here now when its below 60. My friend from the Bay Area was here over the weekend and said I was the biggest weather wuss b/c I was complaining about how cold it was at night and he was saying "its perfect". I literally will run by heater when it's 60 degrees outside, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM

315 posts, read 821,194 times
yea i know.. i lived in panama or a year.. and whenever id come back to jersey ill ***** about 50F, because it was like 90F all year in panama.. way too hot...

you cant win it with the weather. no place has perfect weather 365 days.. even hawaii has storms, rains, phoenix the heat is too much, etc..

but san diego comes damn close to perfect weather for me..

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM

111 posts, read 461,055 times
It is different every year but generally it is not bad. Typically, you wake up and it is cloudy, but no rain. then by 12 noon, the sun is strong enough to burn off the clouds. so you have a great sunny, blue sky lunch hour. Then by 3 pm, the clouds start to roll in again. By 4 pm, it is completely clouded over again.

The clouds roll in from the ocean, so you get more of it if you live closer to the beach / coast
In the beginning, you don't notice much: OK, a cloudy day, what's the big deal? But when this goes on for more than 4 or 5 days, then you begin to say "Hey, what's going on here?" and then you look at your calendar and you say, "oh yeah, Gray May" but then in another week, it's gone. Back to sunny days again.

I've never noticed it to go on and on and on and on. By the time I notice it, it goes away within a week. Though as mentioned above, it may depend on the exact location you live in.

San Diego Weather

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
June gloom is nice. Probably the biggest benefit of living close to coast. Inland, 330 days/year of relentless sunshine will start getting on your nerves sooner or later.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We moved from the hellhole that was UTC to Hillcrest last year. Last year, we didn't see the sun in UTC til mid July. I had friends visiting in July and they were not pleased with the weather. It was cold, cloudy, and just miserable. Even in all the other months, the day would start off cloudy/cool.

We move to Hillcrest, and not only is it warmer, we no longer have the cloudy mornings. Every time we drive on the 5 towards UTC, you can see this fog cloud over them, it's like they're cursed. I'm so glad to be out of that area. What a difference a 15 minute drive can make. It's not cloudy in all of SD, just in certain areas.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM

315 posts, read 821,194 times
whats utc?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
whats utc?
University Town Centre (center). Certain areas get more clouds based on the land mass. Mt Soledad creates that in the area.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
I also think May Gray / June Gloom depends on the year. I've seen years where the overcast burns back by 9 or 10 AM so it's basically a sunny day every day, and I've seen years where its overcast for 3 weeks straight. Those are extremes. When the overcast doesn't burn off at all, then it can be surprisingly cool, like 65 degrees. If it does burn off, then it'll be like 75 degrees. You can take your chances, but if you're visiting for beach weather, then those areas are the most likely to be affected by it, and I'd wait til after 4th of July.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Some honest and accurate responses here, and as you can tell, some people don't mind it, while others (like me) hate it. Like tstieber said, some years are worse than others.

To really understand May Gray/June Gloom, you have to realize how spoiled we are. Since last July (except, of course, when there is a winter storm), I'd say 95% of the days we've had since then have been sunny, so that means 10 straight months of the good stuff.

Here it is Mid-April, and only now are we starting to notice more clouds in the morning, although the sun will eventually come out. My neighbor loves this time of the year. She's from Ohio and complains that it's too sunny here. Have you ever heard of such a thing?!? As has already been mentioned, your proximity to the coast plays a factor in all this. You can actually be sitting in the sand on the beach, and by the time you walk to your car a few blocks away, the sun will be out - weird.

Is it bad? It is for me if I don't see the sun for more than 2 days straight. I find it downright depressing. On the other hand, it's good for going on a hike up Cowles Mt. and gardening. The good thing is, I can head to Palm Springs for more sun than I need, and it's only 2 hours away.

You may laugh at us now for complaining about it, but if you are still here after 2 years and become one of "us", I bet you'll be saying the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
It may be slightly worse this year the "june gloom" anyway because of the "El Nino". It may keep the cloud cover more. Other than that the best time in San Diego is September/October in my belief if you want warm sunny "summerlike" weather.
Actually, it's quite the opposite. El Nino might help curb June Gloom this year
O.C. might get less ‘June gloom’ - Sciencedude : The Orange County Register

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
It's called May gray/June gloom cause they couldn't think of anything that rhymed with July. Really, this phenomenon lasts well into July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego