Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
And the SF Chronicle is at it again, shamelessly slandering Oakland. They actually have an article up today with a headline that reads:

"Oakland worse than Iraq?"

Refugees find Oakland can be worse than Iraq

It's completely ridiculous...and based off of the experiences of some Iraqi refugees who are quoted in the article as claiming that PARTS of Oakland rival Iraq for violence (same as PARTS of many other US cities)...but SFgate of course then labels the entire city of Oakland as worse than Iraq, in the headline. Meanwhile, there have been a few shootings in SF lately that have been completely ignored.

Furthermore, one of the people featured in the story left east Oakland (Fruitvale), and now lives in the Tenderloin, as if that's some kind of improvement...I'm sure the Chronicle would like everyone to believe it is

Oakland should start up their own Newspaper that talks sh** about SF on the daily, to even things out a bit.
There are no more surprises when it comes to how the Bay Area media bends over backwards to report the most heinous aspects of Oakland.

We are constantly barraged daily in the news.

Yesterday in fact, I had the most interesting experience with a cousin who visited me quite often when he was still living in Miami and he would go on and on about how much he specifically loved Oakland-especially Rockridge. "Heaven" he called it.

Well a year ago he was transferred by his employer to Mountain View and moved down there and suddenly he tells me on the phone yesterday that he has reservations about visiting me(in UPPER ROCKRIDGE) because of all the scary news stories he sees on local news about Oakland.

Even though he had a terrific time here on several occasions prior to moving to the Bay Area and watching the news.

How absurd. I told him to shut the hell up and come over right away, which he did and we had a fantastic lunch.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
The Comical purposely under reports on SF crime, yet Henry K. Lee types up every police call in Oakland like clockwork. The SF Examiner is the only real news source for crime data in San Francisco.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
he would go on and on about how much he specifically loved Oakland-especially Rockridge. "Heaven" he called it.
Is it mayorhaggar?

Rockridge is quite nice - not exactly a haven for graffiti/windowbars/cornerthugs up that way.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Can anyone tell me if its safe in Oakland?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Can anyone tell me if its safe in Oakland?
No, we're too scared to go there to find out. We dare you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

70 posts, read 131,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
And the SF Chronicle is at it again, shamelessly slandering Oakland. They actually have an article up today with a headline that reads:

"Oakland worse than Iraq?"

Refugees find Oakland can be worse than Iraq

It's completely ridiculous...and based off of the experiences of some Iraqi refugees who are quoted in the article as claiming that PARTS of Oakland rival Iraq for violence (same as PARTS of many other US cities)...but SFgate of course then labels the entire city of Oakland as worse than Iraq, in the headline. Meanwhile, there have been a few shootings in SF lately that have been completely ignored.

Furthermore, one of the people featured in the story left east Oakland (Fruitvale), and now lives in the Tenderloin, as if that's some kind of improvement...I'm sure the Chronicle would like everyone to believe it is

Oakland should start up their own Newspaper that talks sh** about SF on the daily, to even things out a bit.
"Now moved to the Tenderloin, Iraqi refugee Ghazwan Al-Sharif was mugged in the Fruitvale district."

Yup, he'll be safe now.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 37,829 times
LOL @ the article not mentioning that the Tenderloin is not any safer than Fruitvale. But since Fruitvale is in Oakland lets just ignore that the Tenderloin is overrun with crack heads, shootings and crime. What a joke

Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Well it happened again.

Yesterday, a friend from work brought her kids to my home and we all went to the Oakland Zoo...

She had heard about it for years and was hesitant to visit because of all the bad things she hears about that happen in Oakland... she grew up in Southern California and her neighbors here also said the last thing you want to do is take you kids to Oakland.

We had a great time... she couldn't get over the city views and how much fun her kids had... previously, they always made the trek to the SF Zoo.

Winning hearts and minds one at a time...

Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 45,858 times
OK well instead of asking "is it safe in Oakland" I will ask about a specific neighborhood - the area southeast of Lake Merritt, near La Escuelita Elementary. What do you think? Also is there a name for this neighborhood?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanist34 View Post
OK well instead of asking "is it safe in Oakland" I will ask about a specific neighborhood - the area southeast of Lake Merritt, near La Escuelita Elementary. What do you think? Also is there a name for this neighborhood?
The neighborhood's called Merritt. Personally I would live above E 18th Street and west of 10th Avenue in this area, which puts you in Cleveland Heights or Ivy Hill. While Merritt is not the hood, I would live at least three blocks above Foothill Blvd in that area and definitely at least five blocks above International Blvd. Cleveland Heights and Ivy Hill are very nice urban neighborhoods that have a lot of apartments to choose from; Ivy Hill is the cheaper neighborhood of the two. What is nice about Merritt, though, is that International (formerly E. 14th street) and E. 12th street between 1st avenue and 18th avenue (which also includes the adjacent Clinton neighborhood) make up the Eastlake District, which is Oakland's premiere Southeast Asian restaurant area. It has everything from Cambodian to Vietnamese to Thai and more. I would only visit this area in the daytime though... International Boulevard is the very last street you want to be found on in Oakland at night.

I would also look at the Lynn and Bella Vista neighborhoods, which are west of Highland Hospital between E. 27th, 13th Avenue, Park Blvd and the 580 freeway. They're unknown to most people who don't live in Oakland but they have some of the best victorian housing in the city for some of the best rental prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland