Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
Your ignorance about Pit's and their owners is outstanding.
Uh..."Pit's" ? Perhaps you'd seem slightly more intelligent if you could at least punctuate properly.

Also, I actually used to own a pit/lab mix when I was a teenager. She was often unpredictable, and had a really high prey drive (often mistaking a kid running across a park for another animal). When she'd play or if I gave her a bath, she'd get overly hyper/worked up and I ultimately end up running scared from her into the house. I had to give her up unfortunately over my own fear and lack of control.

I've seen enough over the years being at the dog park daily, have intimate knowledge of the breed, just had my dog bitten in the face..unprovoked, and you can call me ignorant, but it is actually YOU that is not knowledgeable of the breed. Do you understand genetics at all?

You can be one of those apologists, but don't be naive or daft enough to think the majority of the population thinks they make great family pets (or landlords that need to concern themselves with liability issues) to think the way you do. They don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancsipok View Post
Clongirl, Your comment is too funny. You're straight up discriminating against a breed you have no clue about.

You are just another dumb pitbull hater idiot... Hundreds of years? Are you kidding me? Pit bulls have just been created a few decades ago... For FAMILY PETS! You're stereotype them by their dumbass owners.

You're also being rude and ignorant calling me irresponsible... I never liked pitbulls and I never cared for them until I got mine... But under my strong leadership this dog is a better companion than any other dogs I've ever owned. I used to own my home but the crisis hit us and we lost it...

I am an experienced dog owner and I do agree on one thing: not everyone can handle a pitbull. But I do. And I think landlords should have a solution for this problem. Your solution is the "ostrich policy" and you probably are very old fashioned and tunnel visioned... Otherwise you wouldn't have posted a comment. I didn't ask for your opinion. I have mine thank you very much... I asked for help...

You are only scared because of people who can't handle a strong breed made you feel uneasy a few times.

Go ahead and enjoy being a landlord, you must have felt really powerful when you wrote it

I have experience with dogs..I've owned Boxers now for over 13 years.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 13,131 times
Duh... I was talking about the same thing... Not everybody can control them. You as a kid were scared because it's not for kids to handle.
They are great with kids but only if controlled by a strong adult.
You are a hater and I am a foreigner with imperfect punctuation... Big effin deal... How many languages do you speak?
BTW I do have American citizenship and served in the operation Iraqi freedom for your hater ass ) please don't post anymore. I wanna keep my puppy and he's a superdog and he proves it every time I take him to the park :P

Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM

677 posts, read 835,700 times
Dangerous Dogs - Pit bulls, Rottweilers and Fighting Breeds - DogsBite.org

"By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, a report by Animal People shows that pit bulls (215) and rottweilers (81) and their mixes accounted for 64% of the total recorded fatal attacks (466)."

"Over 650 U.S. cities, the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army and New York Housing Authority have adopted policies that target pit bulls and several other dog breeds due to the unreasonable risk posed by them. Such policies are designed to prevent an attack before it occurs, as there is never enough insurance funds to put these severely injured victims "back together" after an attack."

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Dangerous Dogs - Pit bulls, Rottweilers and Fighting Breeds - DogsBite.org

"By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, a report by Animal People shows that pit bulls (215) and rottweilers (81) and their mixes accounted for 64% of the total recorded fatal attacks (466)."

"Over 650 U.S. cities, the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army and New York Housing Authority have adopted policies that target pit bulls and several other dog breeds due to the unreasonable risk posed by them. Such policies are designed to prevent an attack before it occurs, as there is never enough insurance funds to put these severely injured victims "back together" after an attack."
I really don't want to get involved in this debate, but I would like to make a note that you should be aware that these statistics are merely correlations. There are many variables that are not accounted for in these associations (e.g. what percentage of their owners suck as dog owners/human beings??)...that is to say, this is what people in the statistics world called a bias.

These are correlations, not cause and effect....

Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM

677 posts, read 835,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I really don't want to get involved in this debate, but I would like to make a note that you should be aware that these statistics are merely correlations. There are many variables that are not accounted for in these associations (e.g. what percentage of their owners suck as dog owners/human beings??)...that is to say, this is what people in the statistics world called a bias.

These are correlations, not cause and effect....
But that would imply that a much larger percentage of pit bull owners suck as dog owners versus owners of other breeds of dogs. Since there are hundreds of breeds of dogs but 64% of the 466 dog attack deaths were caused by pit bulls (73% of total) and rottweilers (27% of total).

Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:
You are just another dumb pitbull hater idiot... Hundreds of years? Are you kidding me? Pit bulls have just been created a few decades ago... For FAMILY PETS! You're stereotype them by their dumbass owners.
this is a really ill informed comment and completely wrong.american pitbulls have been around since the 19th century. remember the liitle rascals dog pete?
pit bulls were bred for fighting and gameness not as family pets.
gameness is not a good quality in family pets

American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During the 19th century, England, Ireland, and Scotland began to experiment with crosses between bulldogs and terriers, looking for a dog that combined the gameness, speed, and agility of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog
The dog was bred first to bait bulls and bears.[3] When baiting bulls was deemed inhumane, ratting (a sport where a number of rats were placed in a pit for a specified time with the dog) and dog fighting became more popular. The APBT was used in both sports, and its prevalence in being put in pits with rats, or other dogs led to "pit" being added to its name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_(dog)

In dog fighting breeds gameness is valued as it gives the dog the ability to maintain the attack in baiting, despite ripped flesh, dehydration, exhaustion or broken bones. As one writer describes it, "Game is the dog that won't quit fighting, the dog that'll die in the ring, the dog that'll fight with two broken legs."

Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
The insurance company I use for my rentals does not allow pit bulls or any on their list of aggressive dogs. There was a lawsuit recently suing the landlord for a bite from the tenant's dog. It lost on a split decision but it reinforces why landlords carry liability insurance and why they pay attention to their restrictions.

Sorry about the hard time you are having.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
to op danscipok
you are actually the owner of a dog that has been bred for generations as a fighting dog and to have gameness a quality that allows the dog to attack unrelentingly despite serious or mortal injury and you do not even know it.
you are the type of owner that results in attacks and a bad name for this breed.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Duh... I was talking about the same thing... Not everybody can control them. You as a kid were scared because it's not for kids to handle.
They are great with kids but only if controlled by a strong adult.
You are a hater and I am a foreigner with imperfect punctuation... Big effin deal... How many languages do you speak?
BTW I do have American citizenship and served in the operation Iraqi freedom for your hater ass ) please don't post anymore. I wanna keep my puppy and he's a superdog and he proves it every time I take him to the park :P
I don't recall discussing your "foreigner" status with you. I couldn't care less. I wasn't even posting that to you (did you not notice the reply in blue part that doesn't have your screen name in it?)

I actually lived abroad in Ireland...in a country where pitbulls have been banned. Dog maulings are very rare. I'm not a "hater ass". I'm an educated adult that doesn't trust the instincts of a certain breed of dog because of collective past and present experiences. Don't blame the majority of the population here and many other countries for having the same feelings. Your attitude is frightfully telling..."Superdog"? Why does one need a "Superdog"? Insecurity usually.

Perhaps next time, you'll wise up and get a dog that people don't feel uneasy about so you'll be able to rent somewhere. Plenty of other breeds to choose from. Thinking ahead and doing research might do you some good.

I also wonder about the dog that attacked my Boxer yesterday. It was an off leash dog park---Please tell me how exactly the owner supposed to have control over her dog when it had attached it's teeth to my poor dog's face and wouldn't let go? It was a tad late for the "control" part, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland