Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Gonna have to rent a house somewhere, cuz no apartment will allow Fido. East Bay, San Jose, Redwood City, Marin, South San Francisco come to mind.

Pits aren't inherently nasty and aggressive, they are disproportionately raised and bred by thugs not the least bit interested in their welfare, just the tough guy image. Folks in Florida know all too much about the whole Michael Vick episode. Mistreat any dog and make them fight, that's what they'll do.
But convincing squeamish landlords that you're a responsible pit owner is another story (they hear pitbull, they think you're a thug and your dog will kill somebody).
This is the main reason why you see pit bull attacks. I have family that have owned and own pit bulls and they are so sweet, my little chihuahua bites him on the cheek. It's the idiots that don't know how to raise a dog and want to feel macho, so they raise it to be tough and mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This is the main reason why you see pit bull attacks. I have family that have owned and own pit bulls and they are so sweet, my little chihuahua bites him on the cheek. It's the idiots that don't know how to raise a dog and want to feel macho, so they raise it to be tough and mean.
Yeah, like with the little 12yr old boy (N. Faibish) in San Francisco who's pet pitbulls mauled him to death in his Sunset home? Or the pregnant woman who's family pet mauled her in Pacifica recently?

Or the blonde, athletic woman who's pitbull attacked my dog yesterday in an affluent neighborhood dog park? You mean those kind of owners? Sounds like they were just trying to all be macho, right?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
this is a really ill informed comment and completely wrong.american pitbulls have been around since the 19th century. remember the liitle rascals dog pete?
pit bulls were bred for fighting and gameness not as family pets.
gameness is not a good quality in family pets

American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During the 19th century, England, Ireland, and Scotland began to experiment with crosses between bulldogs and terriers, looking for a dog that combined the gameness, speed, and agility of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog
The dog was bred first to bait bulls and bears.[3] When baiting bulls was deemed inhumane, ratting (a sport where a number of rats were placed in a pit for a specified time with the dog) and dog fighting became more popular. The APBT was used in both sports, and its prevalence in being put in pits with rats, or other dogs led to "pit" being added to its name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_(dog)

In dog fighting breeds gameness is valued as it gives the dog the ability to maintain the attack in baiting, despite ripped flesh, dehydration, exhaustion or broken bones. As one writer describes it, "Game is the dog that won't quit fighting, the dog that'll die in the ring, the dog that'll fight with two broken legs."
But at the same time, they were bred to be really easy for human handlers to deal with. Pit bulls are innately very docile and friendly toward people. Yes, nowadays they are often owned by dog fighters and thugs, but normally raised they're the sweetest dogs ever.

To the OP: sorry about your situation. I think you'll have to look at renting a house outside of SF proper. I do have some pit bull owning friends, but they all live pretty far out, like Petaluma or the Central Valley. No way you could commute that far. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But that would imply that a much larger percentage of pit bull owners suck as dog owners versus owners of other breeds of dogs. Since there are hundreds of breeds of dogs but 64% of the 466 dog attack deaths were caused by pit bulls (73% of total) and rottweilers (27% of total).
I'm not implying that that is the case. Others are making that case, but I don't have any data to say that is correct (nor do I intend to make that case).

Rather all I'm saying is that these statistics don't account for these variables (and can't, in reality). All I'm trying to say is that there is a definite bias. I'm not saying there isn't a genetic component, but you can't rule out the other variables that play into it.

This argument is akin to to when people make cases about crime and race, where they use these kind of statistics to "prove" that people of different races are "more likely" to commit crime. Yes, the statistics may say that there is perhaps a greater proportion of the population affected. But it is more complicated than just assigning "race" as the main factor. There are a multitude of factors beyond race (obviously) that dictate these statistics. I'm not trying to get off topic, just bringing up this example to illustrate my point. If you agree with this, you can see the point I'm trying to make.

Again, I'm not trying to make an argument about pit bulls here (and don't intend to); but rather just letting you know that you can't use those statistics to assign a causal relationship because there are too many confounding variables that are not addressed (in statistical terms: hasn't been normalized to remove/lesson these effects).

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 13,131 times
Thanks everyone who tried to help. Unfortunately I probably have to rehome my sweet boy because of those idiots in SF. People should be more open minded and understanding. Every situation is different. I get it...if you see a hispanic thug with a pitbull all chained up ready to kill you get scared. But don't hate the dog, he has absolutely nothing to do with this... Read a few books from Cesar Millan and you can have a better understanding... There is no EVIL DOG BREED period, only evil people who own them... The prey drive and other "bad" traits can be easily redirected to swimming, fetching, rollerblading with the owner (I'm a huge fan of these). Yes, they will still like to wrestle and ruff house but they only want a loving, strong leader who can guide them. Even a yorkie can be a vicious lunatic attacker in bad hands, but it can't cause damage to humans that's why they don't make it to the news. But this beautiful, strong breed has a bad rep because of the stupid violent owners. Wake up people: it's not the dogs fault!!

Once again: this post was created because I believed that there are some helpful people out there... All I wanted was to find a place to stay with my dogs...

Instead you ****ing bored hating *******s find me with your negative energy and opinions.

The sad thing is: you don't WANT TO change your minds, like I did. I took a pitbull in and I loved every minute of it, I educated myself, I was studying and researching and did more than you ever did for your dogs... (As the matter of fact I'm a strong believer and supporter of educating parents before having a baby as well!! And I'm not talking about the birth-classes, but a thorough pscichological study about kids...)

Bottom line is:
I LOVE MY DOG! I don't give a **** about the breed, or stupid people waving statistics in my face... I love my doggie!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
I'm not going to get too deep into this pit debate as well. It's far too crazy and emotional for many dog owners. On a personal level I would not own such a breed myself just so that I could eliminate the risk of safety. While I understand that any breed can attack at any given time I would argue that a small dog such as a chihuahua won't have the ability to maul you to death, so to speak, as oppose to a powerful pitbull or pit mix. It's the breeding history. It's the instincts. With that being said I'm sure there are plenty of sweet loving pits out there. I just wouldn't jeopardize my own friends or family.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancsipok View Post
T
The sad thing is: you don't WANT TO change your minds, like I did. I took a pitbull in and I loved every minute of it, I educated myself, I was studying and researching and did more than you ever did for your dogs... (As the matter of fact I'm a strong believer and supporter of educating parents before having a baby as well!! And I'm not talking about the birth-classes, but a thorough pscichological study about kids...)
i find your education and research to be woefully inadequate . as i said before you are the type of pitbull owner who puts other people in danger.
you have a dog intially bred over a 100 years ago to attack bears and bulls and then bred as a relentless dog fighter to attack regardless of injury to itself and you think the dog was bred a few decades ago as a family pet.this lack of understanding of your dog is dangerous.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 13,131 times
You know what? Ok, I admit I wrote the family pet thing out of anger... They were not bred for that. But that's all you got! History! Two of your presidents have them as pets! How about that?

Rechannelling their energies is art! And I got it trust me!
So what if they WERE bullies? Black people were slaves.... And now they're not. What is wrong with you people? change is good, give us a chance here... Widen your horizons!

Does it give you extra pleasure to just post on my post? Let me correct you dumbass: my dog CAN BE dangerous. But he's not! Because I make sure he's trained and under control.

But you will never experience smart control over a strong animal, you will never admire anything that is too much for you to handle. Because you're scared to death of the unknown.

My 90 year old eastern European grandmother is more open minded than you are...

People like you wanted to sabotage all the scientific developments of mankind... Probably your ancestors fought and killed for the idea of the Earth being flat ))))

I'm putting people in danger? Are you out of your mind? Do you know me? I've had enough of this, be happy on this thread I'm out.
You and your little buddies are a real disappointment, I hope not all San Franciscans are so ignorant and mean...

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
^
I'm a dog person and if that's your attitude then by all means, just leave. We understand that you are emotional with your pet. We all are! You show passion and a belief but not everyone shares your view. I would not subject my household to an animal that is, as you already said "too much to handle". No way! You are frustrated that you can't find a landlord that would accept the breed but you must step back and wonder why. If there are enough reports of Pit attacks then there must be something to it. I'm going to reiterate my point that any dogs can attack at any time but not many dogs have the ability to maul and kill.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM

677 posts, read 835,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancsipok View Post
People should be more open minded and understanding........

.......I don't give a **** about the breed, or stupid people waving statistics in my face...
Hmmmm.......and you accuse us of not being open minded?

Perhaps you should just stay in FL with your pitbull since you love your dog so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland