Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Hmmmm.......and you accuse us of not being open minded?

Perhaps you should just stay in FL with your pitbull since you love your dog so much?
We need more bipolar, unemployed, uneducated MMA fighters from relevant Florida to fill the database admin/systems analyst/biochemical researcher positions over all the recent Cal/Stanford/Santa Clara grads.

There's no way this person is moving to one of the most educated, expensive, culturally diverse, and environmentally aware regions in the country. (But what do I know..I'm just a ****er and a du** a** who "sabotages scientific developments of mankind") LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM

18 posts, read 29,000 times
I was just offensive in this post, so deleting the content.

Last edited by kakas; 05-26-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But that would imply that a much larger percentage of pit bull owners suck as dog owners versus owners of other breeds of dogs. Since there are hundreds of breeds of dogs but 64% of the 466 dog attack deaths were caused by pit bulls (73% of total) and rottweilers (27% of total).
But shouldn't the lesson be to educate the OWNERS rather than outright banning the dogs? Banning them in nicer communities is just going to end up reinforcing their "thug dog" stereotype because they will be the only people that are able to have them. Also being a homeowner doesn't get you a pass automatically because a lot of HOAs also ban them. Educate the owners, educate the public that is when you will actually see positive changes.

Btw we had a rott when I was a kid. The poor thing saw a squirrel and ended up jumping the fence when we were in the house. Animal control was called and he was euthanized on sight. I understand the need to protect yourself and your family but it was devastating as a 7 yo that my best friend who was kind and loving to kids and strangers alike was killed not by his own actions but because he fit a description. In contrast we got a terrier mix a few years later that in his younger years could and would break out of any situation if he got a scent. One time he ended up at the pound (which was luckily traumatizing enough for him that he never did it again) but generally ppl would let him be until we found him or try to restrain him themselves and bring him home. Not that I'd want anyone to shoot the terrier, but the difference in how it was handled and the almost overreaction by AC was really astounding

Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,545 times
Also animal control never told us what happened despite the fact that he was wearing tags. It was a neighbor that saw the ordeal and broke the news. We never even got his body back for a proper burial. They denied any of it happened

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM

170 posts, read 252,340 times
We have three dogs that dont fall into the "agressive breed" label and had a challanging time finding East Bay rentals but with enough hunting we ended up with good choices. I think you may do better renting a house vs trying to get into a complex. We were landlords back East and we always allowed pets, however our homeowners insurance mandated that certain breeds could not live on the property. This list was surpringly long too with breeds I didnt expect to be on it. Look on craigslist for single family homes. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM

54 posts, read 83,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Uh..."Pit's" ? Perhaps you'd seem slightly more intelligent if you could at least punctuate properly.

Also, I actually used to own a pit/lab mix when I was a teenager. She was often unpredictable, and had a really high prey drive (often mistaking a kid running across a park for another animal). When she'd play or if I gave her a bath, she'd get overly hyper/worked up and I ultimately end up running scared from her into the house. I had to give her up unfortunately over my own fear and lack of control.

I've seen enough over the years being at the dog park daily, have intimate knowledge of the breed, just had my dog bitten in the face..unprovoked, and you can call me ignorant, but it is actually YOU that is not knowledgeable of the breed. Do you understand genetics at all?

You can be one of those apologists, but don't be naive or daft enough to think the majority of the population thinks they make great family pets (or landlords that need to concern themselves with liability issues) to think the way you do. They don't.
I apologize for my grammar, I was typing on my phone. You seem like a very pleasant individual. Yes I am not knowledgeable of the breed at all, I only just have two male pits, one 3 years old and the other 2 1/2. Yup, no clue what I am talking about at all.....

Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
I apologize for my grammar, I was typing on my phone. You seem like a very pleasant individual. Yes I am not knowledgeable of the breed at all, I only just have two male pits, one 3 years old and the other 2 1/2. Yup, no clue what I am talking about at all.....
Sorry, but when you call someone a name like 'ignorant' you're going to get called out on your poor writing skills, grammar, spelling and/or lack of education, etc.

If you want to discuss the "pitbull" then by all means. If you understood genetics, science, and breed standards then you might learn something about your own dog (and I don't care how old, what gender, or how sweet your pits are--it's completely irrelevant). You're speaking from purely an emotional standpoint. Most dogs are loyal, sweet, behaved for their owners...it's not a unique trait to dogs.

Fact is, pitbulls have no RELIABLE temperament since they are essentially a compilation of many bully type breeds. It's not a legitimate breed like a Staffy or even an English Bulldog. You don't seem to realize that all dogs of purebred standard were bred to achieve certain tasks. Whether retrieving, scent hounds, herding, guarding, even lap dogs/toy breeds have been bred so they can conform to a standard. This is exactly what they look for in dog shows, for example. This type of dog has unfortunately been bred badly for a long time and the high prey drive and fighting/mauling instincts have been enhanced rather than bred out.

Sadly, you've not been able to discuss my post here about why pitbulls would suddenly attack their owners/family members--I'm discussing responsible, caring owners here, not abusive neglectful ones. There have been far too many stories in which the dog mistakenly turns (like in the recent case of the pregnant Pacifica woman)- nice family by all accounts and the dogs were raised with love. I could but won't cite many similar cases, but won't. After witnessing some incidences over my lifetime, I'll just say that I think the breed just hasn't proven to be very good at reading situations. It's perception seems hypersensitive and not very attuned (like a toddler or another dog being mistaken for prey, for example).

Unfortunately, pitbull defenders always seem to want to blame a "bad, mean, or neglectful owner" when it's just not the case in most scenarios.. Pitbull defenders always seem to deflect the facts by bringing up some other breed that bit someone's face off back int he 70's. Sure it happens...but highly uncommon. You will certainly disagree with me, but imo there's no legitimate reason for owning a pet that has the capability of mauling something to death. There's no good reason for even taking the risk with such an abundance of information out there. Few owners are willing to admit that it's usually about stroking their own ego, a passive way to intimidate strangers or a need to impress their peers...apart from all the usual reasons like dog fighting or defending a meth lab/pot farm.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM

227 posts, read 538,677 times
Not getting into the debate on whether bully breeds (and boxers are included in that) are appropriate pets are not--

SF is not going to be the place for very large or animal aggressive breeds, IMO. Primarily because of the Diane Whipple tragedy, backed up the by the Pacifica tragedy. And also because I see people in SF and the like treating a lot of dogs like little humans, which IMO is a recipe for disaster. I think that single family residences in other parts of the Bay Area might be a better fit.

Now a brief PSA: And as a two-time owner (and current) of a bully breed I will say that it's really a game a Russian roulette to bring your bully dog into situations with unpredictable dogs like dog parks and the like. It's pretty well established that a bully dog will not always start a fight with another dog (meaning they were not the lead aggressor), but because of it's size and strength, will often end the fight. And the bully dog will ALWAYS get the blame. ALWAYS. I protect my puppy by keeping her away from situations where I cannot predict the training and aggression of the dogs and people around us. That includes dog parks, off leash activities, and unsupervised interactions around children (who tend to be small and very unpredictable). She's also being professionally trained and socialized, and is spayed. If you are going to own a bully breed in the Bay, consistent relevant training, socialization, spay/neuter, and acknowledging and respecting that you have a strong, very intelligent dog that might have a strong prey drive (or maybe not) is a necessary start and very basic. Almost every bully attack (those that actually were bully breeds--some aren't but unless you DNA test them, you'll never know) I've seen had owners that failed in one or more of the above categories.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,520,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancsipok View Post
But we have one major sin... We have two dogs. What's so sinful about that is one of them is a pit bull.
Pit bulls are dangerous and needs to be banned. But more importantly Pit bull owners are usually stupid and dangerous! So I am not surprised about the landlord's reaction. SF will be a better place without people like you. So don't move here.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 AM

323 posts, read 697,593 times
I have a small owner occupied two family and my preference is to rent to a responsible dog owner. They tend to live more stable lives as they must be home frequently to walk the dog. Current tenant owns a lovely pit bull who gets along well with my dogs. I have no complaints and would gladly rent to another dog owner if and when they move out. Even if they have a pit bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland