Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol i show you why the 49ers will ALWAYS matter and you chalk it up to a double standard.. you sound like a woman when ppl start arguing about why a man is a "player" when he plows thru many many women and if women do the same they're trollops. "omg double standard is unfair!"

but because the a's (and every bay area team) doesnt have the legacy the 49ers have, they will always play 2nd fiddle.

the a's are somewhere ahead of the raiders and below the sharks in terms of relevance in the bay area. certainly havent mattered in recent years like the sharks. definitely ahead of the raiders and my sorryass warriors
I have no problem admitting the Niners are the Bay Area's best sports franchise overall but don't act like they were relevant or mattered from 2003-2010 just because their past success gets you excited.

As far as Bay ARea sports history, the A's are clearly right behind the Niners with everyone else, including the Giants, behind them. Recently yeah they didn't matter until this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM

14 posts, read 19,252 times
I know it's old news, but could someone explain the whole thing about the Giant's not helping out the A's the way the A's helped them out vis a vis the proposed move to Florida? I've heard bits and pieces of the story but I'd like to know the whole thing (just a brief explanation is fine, I don't need to know all the details).

So the A's management helped get AT&T built to keep the Giants in SF but the Giants won't help the A's do the same?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Where do the Earthquakes rank in Bay Area sports relevency?

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,870 times
Talking The SF Giants!

Shout out to the San Francisco Giants!! Congrats!! I so enjoyed watching the World Series this year, and it was a sweet sweep!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

San Jose Earthquakes

The manly jock-itch types will rain down their flippant Ray Ratto-esque dismissals, but the Quakes have just finished the MLS regular season with the Supporters' Shield (best record in the regular season), have the league's top goal-scorer, who also tied for the league record in goals (Chris Wondolowski), are sending ever more players up to play for the USA National Team for World Cup qualifiers, and just broke the Guinness World Record for the largest amount of people participating in a building groundbreaking ceremony ever for their new stadium, now being built next to Mineta San Jose Int. Airport. Selling out Stanford Stadium for a regular season game this year was a record as well. Playoffs about to start, Quakes favored to bring a third championship to the Bay Area.

The Quakes owner, who is also the A's owner, Lew Wolff, at least has this stadium and surrounding property to look forward to developing. If it weren't for the Giants, we could be breaking ground down here on another new stadium, that one for the A's. With yet another flood of bandwagon Giants fans jumping on after this World Series, you might think the upper brass wouldn't worry about the A's taking any significant piece of their growing fanbase...but they clearly are. Or, they're just being dix, which is a bit extraordinary given that the A's giving them territorial rights to the South Bay back when the Giants were threatening to move to Florida, was an essential component to the Giants getting investors to pony up to build that beautiful new oceanfront ballpark now called AT&T. The A's have been playing in a place as crappy as Candlestick ever was all the while, but now that the 'other' team in the Bay Area needs a decent place to play, the Giants go apopleptic on the idea. Imagine that. Giants want the A's out, and the BA all for themselves.

But then again, there are children in here who don't remember much beyond last week, so wherefore shall these arguments go?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
I haven't even been to Candlestick since the Diamondbacks clinched there in '99 but I would not say that the Coliseum is yet to be as crappy. That said, the Coliseum lacks a bit of the charm of the past, being that the greatest memories were recorded before Mt Davis. Candlestick, meanwhile, looks more or less the same as it does in 49ers highlight reels from the glory days.

And Ratto (like most other old pieces of crap in his field) is too lazy to cover soccer on top of the already established sports, which is the big reason for dismissing it.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonparlance View Post
I know it's old news, but could someone explain the whole thing about the Giant's not helping out the A's the way the A's helped them out vis a vis the proposed move to Florida? I've heard bits and pieces of the story but I'd like to know the whole thing (just a brief explanation is fine, I don't need to know all the details).

So the A's management helped get AT&T built to keep the Giants in SF but the Giants won't help the A's do the same?
A 1992 proposition on the ballot in San Jose for a new Giants ballpark was defeated by voters. The Giants were all but packed and ready to go after the '92 season, to be sold to a group in Tampa Bay. At the last minute, a local group stepped up but insisted they needed "territorial rights" to San Jose so they could possibly build a privately-financed ballpark there. Walter Haas Jr, A's owner at the time, ceded those rights (for free) as a goodwill gesture to keep the team in the Bay Area. The Giants eventually built their park in SF, but refuse to cede the "rights" to SJ, claiming they couldn't survive if they "lost" the fans they have down there.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

San Jose Earthquakes
it's soccer. they're as as relevant as the mls is compared to the other sports league.

nfl > mlb > nba/nhl > soccer

Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
it's soccer. they're as as relevant as the mls is compared to the other sports league.

nfl > mlb > nba/nhl > soccer
Only one of these can be called the world's game. Every other country gets it.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Dude, other countries don't count!

Just like championships don't count unless they've been earned in the past 3 years!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland