Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times

Advertisements

Oh, and the parade is on Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Oh, and the parade is on Halloween.

What kind of treats do we get?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Tiger Balm?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:01 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
i'd ask why you aren't out in the streets celebrating with all of your friends, since your team just won the world series and all

but you make it pretty obvious why nobody would want to hang out with you

LOL
LOL - on the Baseball subforum - in the Sports area of CD - the Oakland Athletics Moneyball thread is getting more attention than the San Francisco Giants are - even after SF won the World Series.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? The GOLDEN STATE Warriors only have ONE title and two if you count their days on Philly. The Miami Heat have two, Dallas one, and the Pistons have THREE. And ALL of the Pistons titles were before 2005 too. You don't even recognize the history with your own Giants so please spare us this bizarre diatribe on NBA history because you clearly don't have your facts straight. Were you even paying attention to the NBA finals in June? Because if you did you would have noticed Wade winning his SECOND championship as a Heat player.

I've never heard of Warriors fans brag about how many titles they ever have and rightfully so and I have A LOT of diehard Warriors friends. I've NEVER heard a fans of a team brag about having one title except San Francisco GIANTS fans.

You don't have to be 40 years old to remember the A's title in 1989 and their three CONSECUTIVE world series appearances from 88-90. I remember that era.

The only reason the Giants don't like the A's bringing up their history is because they don't have any history like that of their own and just have their recent success to cling to. Yet that doesn't stop Giants fans from celebrating their history with players like Mays, McCovey, Bonds, etc.. So it's alright for the Giants to celebrate their history with players but not okay for the A's to do it with their Championships? Nice double standard there.

Also if we are including ALL franchise titles from all cities, which you did with the Warriors, then the A's have NINE, third most in MLB.
Bonds? Barry Bonds?

Can you name a year in which the San Francisco Giants won a World Series with him as part of their team?

No? - just as I figured.

Three consecutive World Series appearances with only one World Series Championship is an accomplishment?

Have your forgotten that during the 1988 and 1990 World Series - the Athletics only won one game - Game 4 of the 1988 Series against the Dodgers - and were shutout by the Cincinnati Reds in 1990?

In comparison - the San Francisco Giants have been in 2 World Series in 3 years - and won both - and in the most recent WS - they shut out their opponent twice, held their opponent to 6 runs total, struck out the league MVP on the final pitch of the final game on a called strike, and won an extra-innings game.

Now which team do you think is more impressive, again?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
It's a dark day for the game of baseball, but I won't come on here hating. Congrats to Giants fans on your team winning another championship.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Bonds? Barry Bonds?

Can you name a year in which the San Francisco Giants won a World Series with him as part of their team?

No? - just as I figured.

Three consecutive World Series appearances with only one World Series Championship is an accomplishment?

Have your forgotten that during the 1988 and 1990 World Series - the Athletics only won one game - Game 4 of the 1988 Series against the Dodgers - and were shutout by the Cincinnati Reds in 1990?

In comparison - the San Francisco Giants have been in 2 World Series in 3 years - and won both - and in the most recent WS - they shut out their opponent twice, held their opponent to 6 runs total, struck out the league MVP on the final pitch of the final game on a called strike, and won an extra-innings game.

Uh the A's also won THREE back to back World Series in 72,73 and 74. 2/3 ain't bad for the Giants, but if we're using your definition of 'success', 3/3 is certainly better, right? Oh wait, my bad, titles only count if they've happened in the past three years

Now, would you like to bring up division titles, because the A's have 15 West Division crowns (Giants have 8), or what about the overall series between the teams (A's lead 47-45, and have led the series the past 10 years)? Oh yeah, and A's have one more pennant (6-5).

Like I said, great job on getting half as many championships as the A's. Enjoy your team's most recent success. They were certainly better than the Tigers in the four games they played against them just now

Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Bonds? Barry Bonds?

No? - just as I figured.
That was the point genius. Some of the best players to ever play the game never win a championship but that still doesn't stop a team/fan base from celebrating them and their history with the team.

Quote:

Yes it is actually, what team wouldn't want to make the WS three years in a row?

I guess you seem to not remember the first professional sports championship ever brought to the Bay Area by the A's in 72, the first of three in a row. Only one other team has ever done that in MLB, the Yankees. So how is 2 in 3 years better than 3 in 3 years?

The Giants really didn't have much history to celebrate before 2010 and now they do. This is clearly their "time" but if you want to talk Bay Area baseball history then get it right and be honest.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i didnt specify warriors titles in sf/oakland did i? lol@ all that unnecessary typing. warriors fans bragging about what happened in 1975 would be as absurd as a's fans bragging about what happened in the early 70s. warriors fans know better though. but you still have 89, right?
i was like 3 years old in 89. im sure you fully appreciated that world series. 23 years ago. i bet it keeps you going when you show up to a's games these days with a sold out crowd of 10,000 cheering on the a's. i bet being eliminated by the tigers this year didnt hurt as much because you thought back on that fateful day 23 years ago and said "hey, i remember canseco!"

mod cut
Either way the Heat have just as many titles as the Philly/GS Warriors and the Pistons have more, all won before 2005. So either way you look at it you clearly don't know much about the NBA and were WRONG.

Sure Warriors fans know better but Giants fans clearly don't. And as a Niner fan don't act like you don't bring up titles from the past because many do, especially when the Raiders enter the conversation. Perhaps you should stick to the crappy stadium/attendance argument against the A's as that's your safest bet, that is of course unless Candlestick is brought up (but of course most Giants fans try to forget they ever played there).

Last edited by sav858; 10-29-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Either way the Heat have just as many titles as the Philly/GS Warriors and the Pistons have more, all won before 2005. So either way you look at it you clearly don't know much about the NBA and were WRONG.

Sure Warriors fans know better but Giants fans clearly don't. And as a Niner fan don't act like you don't bring up titles from the past because many do, especially when the Raiders enter the conversation.
oh ok, so a warriors fan bragging to a mavs fan in 2008 about the warriors winning a title in the 70s would've been ok right? just as you mentioning an a's title in 1972 which you weren't alive to enjoy is perfectly fine. LOL

there are different tiers when it comes to football franchises in the NFL, and their championship pedigree

49ers, steelers, packers and cowboys are the premier franchises in the NFL.
at best, the raiders are 3rd tier franchise, esp if you consider their streak of about 30 years of futility.
the 49ers have enjoyed the greatest football player in league history, the greatest qb ever and one of the greatest dynasties in nfl history. there are more things to be proud of than just superbowl titles as a 49er fan. a raiders fan my age has nothing to feel proud of, except how "fun" tailgating is apparently in oakland and seeing dudes dress up like darth vader.

but what are we talking about here.... this is a baseball thread, and like i said, this is what im dealing with at the moment:

meanwhile, this is the last baseball game for you in 2012:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland