Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
San Francisco's government isn't merely inept. It's corrupt.
Is it kind of like Chicago's (corrupt machine), except the corrupt politicians do a bad rather than decent job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
San Jose might tilt moderatly towards the democrates (even though the democratic part historically speaking has become more right of center).this does not make san jose liberal by anymeans. and please dont argue this i have a degree in politics so if you want to disguss this message me. and i dont like to spell or get corrected so please lighten up a bit... it is the internet.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Is it kind of like Chicago's (corrupt machine), except the corrupt politicians do a bad rather than decent job?
Um no, San Frans politics do not resemble Chicago's politics in the least. In terms of comparable local politics we are more like Portland. Chicago is more like washington dc, in the late 80's-mid 90's.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
As one poster from the Connecticut forum put it (in quoting a New Yorker), and I paraphrase here to refer to San Francisco, San Francisco is a "lonely man's paradise." In this city, you can deviate from reality and a sense of normalcy, explore the fringes of morality, and come out of the closet. Walking around with red hair and lime green or yellow sunglasses doesn't appear out of the ordinary, even if you're wearing a a suit and tie. You can have an endless stream of acquaintances and no friends, feel completely worthless as a human being, near suicidal, yet appear happy as a lark. You can carry on conversations with people for years, not once talking about anything but yourself. The nice weather somehow excuses shallowness, encourages frivolity, and gives one a false sense of superiority. Your neighbors you've never seen or spoken to, but because they are of a different race, you call it diversity. The city considers itself very liberal, yet the Golden Gate Bridge "connects" SF to Marin and the Bay Bridge "separates" SF from Oakland. San Francisco values.
I think sometimes a lonely man's paradise is the obnly environment some people can survive in because they feel contradicted in their own city, they feel unwated and unwelcomed for being "different", so the lonely man's paradise is what they seek.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
More like the corrupt politicians come up with their policies while smoking the funny grass..

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 AM

19 posts, read 73,603 times
>On the other hand,
>It plays out real well in podunk redneckvilles across Jesusland. Hallelujah.

Oh so tolerant and openminded right? This is what Bill O'Reilly means by San Fransisco values. I don't like Bill O'Reilly, but he is right about this. You probably call yourself progressive, but this is you attitude towards America's working class. San Fransisco likes to brag about how it has no ghettos. That's because people of modest income cannot afford to live there. You are exactly the kind of person that the South Park episode smug alert is about.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
San Francisco is a wonderful city, if not my favorite city. I can afford it too, but its politics keep me from living there. I'm LDS and am almost afraid to go to San Francisco now seeing as what has happened to some Christians in San Francisco.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
You would be fine... I've had a few LDS friends/acquaintances, and they aren't treated any differently that I have noticed. Most people here don't care about that stuff - it's primarily media exaggeration & a few loudmouths that give us a bad rep.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpunkrva View Post
>On the other hand,
>It plays out real well in podunk redneckvilles across Jesusland. Hallelujah.

Oh so tolerant and openminded right? This is what Bill O'Reilly means by San Fransisco values. I don't like Bill O'Reilly, but he is right about this. You probably call yourself progressive, but this is you attitude towards America's working class. San Fransisco likes to brag about how it has no ghettos. That's because people of modest income cannot afford to live there. You are exactly the kind of person that the South Park episode smug alert is about.
Trust me, we have ghettos! I live at the edge of the worst one (Bayview/Hunter's Point), so I know all about our bad neighborhoods. But even so, I'd rather be in the worst part of SF than the iffy parts of Detroit/NYC/etc.

Speaking of smug... I was on 101 (in SF) the other day, driving behind a Prius with this license plate: NOTSMUG. I just about crashed, I was laughing so hard!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
I can't help but think that if you were to compare say- Montgomery AL and San Francisco CA, the two are more similar than different. Both- whether they want to admit it or not contain large quantities of a certain of stereotypical people, both whom feel that their cause is the "superior" cause. On one hand, you might have someone who is highly religious and conservative both socially and politically living in AL, who is so entirely convinced of his/her own beliefs that they're blinded by their convictions and refuse to ever accept anything different. The same is true in San Francisco, where you have large quantities of extremely liberal people who- as another indicated- broadcasts this generic net over the "rest" of the US, labeling it as "Jesusland" or some other nonsense.

There's no difference with that line of thinking. I've lived in both kinds of areas. Narrow mindedness is a universal trait no matter where you live. What is never acknowledged is that the majority of people everywhere are actually quite moderate. It is entirely possible to find value and merit on both sides of the table. It takes an objective person to find the balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland