Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 03:42 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Please tell me what jobs you can get to support even just yourself with a high school diploma.
Dental Hygienist - Income: $45,000 to $65,000
Web Developer - Income: $60,000 to $80,000
Admin Assistant - Income: $40,000
Paralegal Assistant - Income: $50,000
Stenographer-Court Reporter - Income: $55,000
Heating and Refrigeration Mechanic - Income: $45,000
Surveyor - Income: $55,000
Construction Worker - Income: $45,000

I could go on and on. There are plenty of jobs for people who are willing to do work and only have a high school diploma.

Quote:
Maybe you want to do a little more research because teen pregnancy is way down, and black women are graduating college at increasing rates and exceeding he educational attainment of black men ans quickly catching up. All while considering we are barely 2 generations away from the Civil Rights movement, and still don't have a level playing field.
"level playing field" I love these little weasel terms like "level playing field" or another leftist favorite "systemic racism".

So blacks would achieve more if they had a level playing field?

How is the playing field not "level"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really, that's all it takes? Could you please link that study for us because it is not consistent with other data such as this:

"[T]he economic outcomes of children from low income families vary substantially within the US. Some cities have rates of upward mobility comparable to the most mobile countries in the world, while other have lower rates of mobility than any developed country," writes Chetty in an executive summary. "These geographical difference in upward mobility are strongly correlated with five primary factors: segregation, income inequality, local school quality, social capital, and family structure."

Of people born into lower income households, few will ever make it into the middle class, according to a recent study from Pew Charitable Trust. Only a tiny percentage rise into the highest income bracket.

On average, poor individuals have a one in three chance of escaping poverty in any given
year.
Blacks, households headed by women, and households with more children have a lower
probability of getting out of poverty. Higher education levels improve the likelihood of leaving
poverty. Roughly half of those who get out of poverty will become poor again within five years.

Seems like the issue is slightly more complex than get a job don't get pregnant and finish school, huh?
You've basically proven my point. Thank you!

According any academic study you will find on this Earth, at every income level, blacks and Hispanics don't achieve as much as "other minorities" who have the same exact disadvantages as blacks/hispanics.

Are you seriously going to tell me a guy coming from Bangalore India has more opportunities than a black kid born in Detroit?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
For starters, any actual knowledge of this topic.

You must be either terribly young or were asleep for the past 60 years. The reality that there is still so far to go doesn't diminish how far civil rights have evolved.

Interesting. You seem to know even less about racial issues than you pretended to know about business in previous threads. The only interesting question here is why you are motivated to masquerade as knowledgeable in these topics.
Although I find it funny that a guy who claims to live a paupers lifestyle on a "house boat" in the poorest part of the Bay Area is trying to lecture someone who actually employs over 70 people in a business responsible for 8 digit revenue annually about "wealth", can you prattle on about something you actually know about, maybe step aside so the adults can discuss something of substance here?

I've actually hired African Americans, and put good money into their bank accounts. How many black people do you employ? Yeah, zero, just like social justice warrior 2sleepy who has never ever employed a black person yet will throw the word "racist" out like it's cheap halloween candy.

Don't worry tulemutt, your race card membership has been renewed, you can now scamper away with all the other kiddies:

Old 08-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Apparently, ideology is much more pervasive than the facts. And of course, you are wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...by-the-numbers

Systematic inequalities is what stymies equitable and favorable outcomes. And they are older than any one person on this planet.
Your point is ridiculous, graduation rates have risen ACROSS the board for ALL races (whites included). So the Civil Rights movement was responsible for raising the graduation rate of whites?

Graduation rates rising over a 50 year period is expected regardless of the RACE factor. With technology and more access to information (due to the expansion of the internet), of course you would expect graduation rates across the board to rise.

But compared to other minorities, blacks do not achieve as much. You say it's because of systemic racism. So tell me why a black kid born in Detroit is more disadvantaged than an immigrant from Bangalore India? Or one from Taiwan? Or one from Japan?

Why don't east asians commit violent crime at nearly 4 times their population representation like blacks?

You're an expert passing out dunce caps right? Why don't you explain to me why blacks commit half the violent crime in the country and how that's related to "systemic racism"?

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 08-09-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 04:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I can't answer that... most of my officer friends started with two year Admin of Justice from Merrit or Chabot
OPD has been very intense in recruiting... especially minority women... recruiters would travel the country looking for candidates... at least my high school friend was on the road all the time... Chicago, Atlanta, Houston... looking for African American and Hispanic Women for OPD
I do have a few that used their military experience to become police officers... just like California allows corpsman to challenge the Board of Nursing substituting experience for a degree.
Manufacturing is where many went after High School... NUMMI employed 5,000 people and at one time the East Bay was known as a hub of industry... times do change.
Of course people "can" still find good jobs with only a high school diploma but the point is that it has become increasingly more difficult, even grocery jobs have become part time without benefits when a few decades ago they were union jobs, 40 hours a week and came with health and pension benefits. And NUMMI has been gone for 6 years and there is nothing on the horizon that I'm aware of that will offer that many manufacturing jobs. With that said, I think that poor ethnic minorities probably have a much better chance at moving out of poverty than do people in some other parts of the country.

I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and you are right about immigrants opening businesses, but that is largely due to the culture of extended families pooling and lending money to start new businesses, something you rarely see with people who are not first or second generation immigrants. I have always thought that neighborhood 'micro lending' might be able to accomplish the same thing but it's never really taken hold in the US

Old 08-09-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangulmida View Post
Ahhh always nice to see the White Nationalists make it over from the Mini Stormfront Politics and Controversies anti Black forum. Yes "Liberals are the real racists" even though there is more than enough evidence coming from the right showing how hateful and racist right wingers are. Nevermind that Donald Trump has the support of an Ex KKK Grand Wizard, American Nazi Party, as well as numerous White nationalist groups. Yes but liberals are the real racists, everything is equal in America, blacks just complain, 100% of all police are innocent and good people, Mike brown is a Thug, Rev. Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson, Holder, Obummer, Race Card, BLM = Terroist racist organization. What other talking points have I missed?
Good! Good! Focus on that race card, that's the strongest leftist play in the book.

Never mind annoying things like facts, historical data, and statistics.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
I'm giving out dunce caps today.

The government writing a check for healthcare, education, and nutrition, is no different than the government writing a check for tax cuts and breaks or corporate subsidies.

And of course, you are wrong.

Debunking the stereotype of the lazy welfare recipient: Evidence from cash transfer programs worldwide - GSDRC

How Long Do People Stay On Public Benefits?

In the context of what you said, whites receive more of the "entitlements," as you call it.
I was catching up on my podcasts, and this history for Welfare to Work was so interesting. And they found it didn't actually work over the long term. Worth a read or listen!

The Magic Bureaucrat and His Riverside Miracle - 99% Invisible

Old 08-09-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Dental Hygienist - Income: $45,000 to $65,000
Web Developer - Income: $60,000 to $80,000
Admin Assistant - Income: $40,000
Paralegal Assistant - Income: $50,000
Stenographer-Court Reporter - Income: $55,000
Heating and Refrigeration Mechanic - Income: $45,000
Surveyor - Income: $55,000
Construction Worker - Income: $45,000
Let's review those choices:
Dental Hygienist - need more post school training
Web Developer - need to learn to code
Admin Assistant - Haven't seen an admin assistant job not requiring at least an AA degree in at least 15 years.
Paralegal Assistant - need more post school training
Construction Worker - maybe, but plenty of people are content to pick up people they pay under the table at home depot

Quote:
I could go on and on. There are plenty of jobs for people who are willing to do work and only have a high school diploma.

"level playing field" I love these little weasel terms like "level playing field" or another leftist favorite "systemic racism".

So blacks would achieve more if they had a level playing field?

How is the playing field not "level"?
After loads of links about about how school treat black students differently, differing outcomes across the entire justice system, double the unemployment rates at all education levels for black people, it is all a figment of our imaginations.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You've basically proven my point. Thank you!

According any academic study you will find on this Earth, at every income level, blacks and Hispanics don't achieve as much as "other minorities" who have the same exact disadvantages as blacks/hispanics.

Are you seriously going to tell me a guy coming from Bangalore India has more opportunities than a black kid born in Detroit?
Guys from Banglore India are coming with a college degree. That's the only way they are allowed to leave. Last I checked people with more education tend to do better than those with less. And we see how much we want to educate kids in Detroit.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Guys from Banglore India are coming with a college degree. That's the only way they are allowed to leave. Last I checked people with more education tend to do better than those with less. And we see how much we want to educate kids in Detroit.
Yeah. Of course this isn't a hardset rule, but many Indian immigrants coming into the U.S. to work are well-educated, and sometimes quite well-off monetarily. This isn't to say that they aren't hard workers, or didn't work incredibly hard to get here (I have to imagine it was a hard journey for many of them) - but I agree, I don't think this is a 1:1 comparison to less-educated Americans.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-09-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland