Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The solutions I'm talking about are DRASTIC and not realistic. As in razing thousands of homes and placing in dense, sometimes VERY dense, housing. With huge investments in public transit to go with it. And you keeeeeeep building. Yes, endlessly.
You can't keep building endlessly and I seriously doubt anyone would want to live that way anyway. But again, we're just dancing again as we often do on this topic. We're never going to agree so as we always do on this topic, we will respectfully agree to disagree. Have a good weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
You can't keep building endlessly and I seriously doubt anyone would want to live that way anyway. But again, we're just dancing again as we often do on this topic. We're never going to agree so as we always do on this topic, we will respectfully agree to disagree. Have a good weekend.
You are again misunderstanding me.

In simple terms, it is not a technical problem. We can, with enough political will and money, build endlessly until demand is satisfied. That does mean continually tearing down old buildings to build bigger ones.

Of course, what I'm saying is ludicrous since no one wants that. But that is exactly my point. It's political why we don't do this, not technical.

I don't support endlessly building, since I don't want to live in that world, either. But I do recognize that it would solve housing affordability problems.

Have a good weekend, body.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-19-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You are again misunderstanding me.

In simple terms, it is not a technical problem. We can, with enough political will and money, build endlessly until demand is satisfied. That does mean continually tearing down old buildings to build bigger ones.

Of course, what I'm saying is ludicrous since no one wants that. But that is exactly my point. It's political why we don't do this, not technical.

I don't support endlessly building, since I don't want to live in that world, either. But I do recognize that it would solve housing affordability problems.
You cannot build endlessly

Old 08-19-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps not in the world we live in. There is no technical reason why we can't continually build higher and higher skyscrapers (tearing down old ones as we go).

There is a political reason why we don't, though.

A good discussion about this topic here in a recent Vox article: [url=http://www.vox.com/a/new-economy-future/big-cities]The case for making New York and San Francisco much, much bigger | The new new economy[/url

I found this part pertinent:
Quote:
The city of San Francisco is half as dense as Brooklyn, and San Jose and Silicon Valley are much less dense than that. So there’s a lot of potential to build more housing. The region would also have to build more transportation infrastructure — probably including a more extensive subway system — to support an expanded population.

To be sure, many people in the San Francisco Bay Area don’t want it to look more like Brooklyn. But they also probably don’t want housing to become so expensive that their children can’t afford to stay in the area. And that’s ultimately the choice they face.

Technology millionaires aren’t going away. If the region doesn’t find ways to accommodate soaring demand for housing, it will wind up being a place where only technology millionaires can afford the rent.
Have a good weekend, body.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-19-2016 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
You can build on the millions of acres of green space, Kathmandu was built on mountains, why not build on the Santa Cruz mountains?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I support building a lot more housing, but it has to be high density. I would support 20 story buildings with thousands of three bedroom condos inside. But I would also support a ban on new single family homes in California.

And I tend to agree with bodyforlife99; it is unlikely that any region in the Bay Area can build enough condos to keep up with demand, and even less likely to sustain it for a long period of time. But we definitely will never be able to house all eight hundred thousand people in San Francisco in their own single family homes. There is simply not enough room. Condos, yes. SFHs, no. Not if you also want retail space and emergency services.

Given enough time, all cities have to move to dense housing. You reach a point where you just can't add SFHs anymore.
You love to bash SFHs, but please tell me how much of SF is actually SFH? All large scale building here in the city has been condos. I'm even seeing townhomes or condo communities being built down in Foster City, so it's not like density isn't on people's minds.

Companies here really need to space out. I noticed the other day just how crowded the city is compared to a few years ago. When holidays roll around - like Thanksgiving and Memorial day - the city is actually pleasant But it's a chicken and egg scenario really. They claim they can't find good workers if they move closer to Dublin or something, so they move to the Peninsula, San Jose, or the city and just perpetuate the problem. Nothing changes. Glad I've been frugal and saving my money like crazy, gonna need it.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
You love to bash SFHs, but please tell me how much of SF is actually SFH? All large scale building here in the city has been condos. I'm even seeing townhomes or condo communities being built down in Foster City, so it's not like density isn't on people's minds.

Companies here really need to space out. I noticed the other day just how crowded the city is compared to a few years ago. When holidays roll around - like Thanksgiving and Memorial day - the city is actually pleasant But it's a chicken and egg scenario really. They claim they can't find good workers if they move closer to Dublin or something, so they move to the Peninsula, San Jose, or the city and just perpetuate the problem. Nothing changes. Glad I've been frugal and saving my money like crazy, gonna need it.
I'd be totally in favor of having companies spread out more throughout the region. Ideally this would occur as clusters around major infrastructure hubs.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:18 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
I'd be totally in favor of having companies spread out more throughout the region. Ideally this would occur as clusters around major infrastructure hubs.
Same here, but I wish housing would also spread out more and that most people would live in the area where they work rather than contribute to commuting traffic. For example, a lot of businesses want to be located directly in SF and a lot of people want to live here in SF, even those whose workplaces aren't located here in SF. Not living where a person works is a big part of the problem. Commuter traffic could be decreased and more people who work here could live here.

Maybe if salaries would be adjusted based on where a person actually lives it could help deter people from making so much commuting traffic and help ease the housing problem a little.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post

Maybe if salaries would be adjusted based on where a person actually lives it could help deter people from making so much commuting traffic and help ease the housing problem a little.
Of maybe we could let people do what they want and stop trying to put restrictive controls on their lives. Now there's a novel thought.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:38 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

Eh, it's about the same amount. Just different types of amenities. Plus the most value comes in considering all the diverse regions of the Bay Area as one integrated whole, since they are so close together. San Francisco is great by itself, Silicon Valley is great by itself, Oakland is great by itself. Put all these regions together and they're awesome. Easily worth the price of admission.
Comparing New York's Cultural Base to San Francisco's is not even close.

Not even remotely close.

Bay Area's greatest up on New York is the Weather (minus SF/Daly City/Pacifica/HMB)
and livable/workable suburbs.

Theater, Art, Music, Museums, History, Restaurants, Hotels- New York justifies it's pricetag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland